Inflating Rv Tires

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Ree, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Ree

Ree
    Expand Collapse

I am looking to purchase a compressor to bring along with me to inflate and keep my rv tires inflated at 100psi. I am wondering what brand I should buy.
    Can anybody give me some advice? I also would like to know which type of gauge I should purchase? Analog or digital? I thought Sears would have a nice compressor I could use on my class A but I didn't see any. I would like one that I can either plug into 120 or 12 Volt, if I am boondocking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Marie

2. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

I have a MH with airbrakes so I can get air from that system to add to the tires. I can't help with the compressor issue except to say that most portable ones used to air up a car tire probably won't do the job for a larger RV tire.

With respect to the guage, I would suggest one like this one: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wc...e=22-79445241-2

It has two opposite direction ports for measuring air which is very helpful if you have duallys on your rig.

3. Ree

Ree
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RLM @ Sep 8 2010, 01:40 PM) [snapback]23992[/snapback]

I have a MH with airbrakes so I can get air from that system to add to the tires. I can't help with the compressor issue except to say that most portable ones used to air up a car tire probably won't do the job for a larger RV tire.

With respect to the guage, I would suggest one like this one: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wc...e=22-79445241-2

It has two opposite direction ports for measuring air which is very helpful if you have duallys on your rig.

Thank you very much for your reply. I will look into the tire gauge.

4. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

If you have a Costco account, get their "power station." I have one. It's an air compressor, goes up to, oh, 120 pounds or so. It also has an inverter for appliances up to 300 watts. Also has jumper cables to start cars.

I love this thing!

http://www.costcob.com/Powerstation-PS-500...e-power-station

JJ

5. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

I bought a campbell-hausfeld compressor. It gets up to 135psi. It works ok, but it struggles to get my truck and trailer tires to 80 psi. I have to let the tank fill up. It is one of those pancake compressors. I paid $149, sounds like jj has the best deal if will get you 100psi.
    Most of the auto parts stores will have the tire gauge, advanced included. Just make sure you get a truck gauge.

6. Ree

Ree
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Sep 8 2010, 02:40 PM) [snapback]23994[/snapback]

If you have a Costco account, get their "power station." I have one. It's an air compressor, goes up to, oh, 120 pounds or so. It also has an inverter for appliances up to 300 watts. Also has jumper cables to start cars.

I love this thing!

http://www.costcob.com/Powerstation-PS-500...e-power-station

JJ

Wow!!! This sounds perfect. I will definitely look at this one! Thanks so much!! Marie

7. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I had a similar need and bought a 100# rated Wal-Mart compressor and it wouldn't go to 75#. I then traded for a Wal-Mart 125# compressor that wouldn't go to 100#. I then bought a "pancake" Sears unit (4 gallon) that normally was $169 and I got it on sale for $119. Works great and I use it for my nailers and brad guns. I definitely don't like the plastic curly hoses. Having a reservoir is a huge advantage also.

8. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

I have a Kobalt compressor I bought at Lowe's. It is a little larger than the pancake compressors everyone seems to prefer, but easily fits into a basement bay when laid on its side. It will fairly quickly do 22.5" tires to 120# - my storage pressure. The key for me was finding one that not only would raise the pressure but do it in a reasonable time.

9. Ree

Ree
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(joez @ Sep 8 2010, 07:26 PM) [snapback]24006[/snapback]

I have a Kobalt compressor I bought at Lowe's. It is a little larger than the pancake compressors everyone seems to prefer, but easily fits into a basement bay when laid on its side. It will fairly quickly do 22.5" tires to 120# - my storage pressure. The key for me was finding one that not only would raise the pressure but do it in a reasonable time.

MANY THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES! I NOW KNOW ABOUT AIR COMPRESSORS AND PROBABLY PICK UP THE PANCAKE TYPE, SINCE IT WILL FIT NICELY IN MY STORAGE COMPARTMENT. THANKS AGAIN!!
    MARIE
    PS I HOPE TO MEET EVERYONE SOMEDAY

10. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

This is from a similar thread on the FMCA forum. I can't verify the accuracy, but seems knowledgable:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    It really depends on how long you want to wait to fill a tire. The small 12 volt compressors will get you there, but they're not real fast. Also, do you have plans on using the compressor for anything else other than filling tires?

We started our RV life years ago with a small 12 volt unit that burned out the first time we tried to fill a flat. A few other 12 volt units that got so hot they smoked, or blew the fuses, and we gave up. A few years ago we graduated to a Stanley Bostich, 1.8 CFM at 90 psi, 125 psi max. Nice little unit, very quiet, but wont get you to 150 psi.

The Viair unit will get you there, too, but it needs a 30 amp circuit. You might want to keep your rig running while using it lest you kill your batteries. Friendly advice, watch those adds! Filling an RV tire from zero to 30 psi in 5 minutes is a meaningless value. Filling a tire to somewhere between 80 and 125 psi is a whole different story.

We now use an Ingersol Rand twin-stack. This will pump 4.4 CFM at 90 with 135 psi max. At 75 pounds, it's a tad on the heavy side, but we needed the higher flow to run air tools (impact wrench, air ratchet, etc.). It will run on a 15 amp AC circuit. We set ours up in the basement compartment next to the outside AC outlets, so all I need do is open the compartment door and plug in to the outlet.

11. rgatijnet

rgatijnet
    Expand Collapse

I use one of the DeWalt portable 120 volt air compressor with a 2 gallon tank and a 1/2HP motor. It can easily inflate my tires to 100 and it does it quickly, as opposed to the smaller compressors. Since it is somewhat flat, it sits in our basement compartment and all I have to do is plug it in to the basement outlet right next to it and hook up the air line. The compressor stays in the compartment. Cost varies from $125-$175 when on sale at Home Depot or Lowes.