How Do You Tow Your Toad

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Ree, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Ree

Ree
    Expand Collapse

I am towing for the first time and I am wondering if it is better to tow your vehicle with little gas in the tank, full tank, or does it not matter? Thankls in advance for your replies!! Marie :D

2. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

To me it does not matter except I try to have enough fuel in it that I could use it as a lifeboat in case of a remote area breakdown.

3. rgatijnet

rgatijnet
    Expand Collapse

I keep it full and will usually top off the dingy at the same time as I fill the coach tanks, since both vehicles fuel on the same side.

4. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

We don't let it get too low or below 1/8 of a tank. We refill it to the top and really don't worry about it. I don't know if you are worried about the weight or fire if hit from behind. We really don't worry about either. Maybe we should, but we can not worry about everything. It would be a real hassle to try to keep it very low.

5. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Full tank all the time. What part of no place will we break down in? Never happen yet!

6. Ree

Ree
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Sep 24 2010, 09:08 PM) [snapback]24264[/snapback]

We don't let it get too low or below 1/8 of a tank. We refill it to the top and really don't worry about it. I don't know if you are worried about the weight or fire if hit from behind. We really don't worry about either. Maybe we should, but we can not worry about everything. It would be a real hassle to try to keep it very low.

I think I wasn't clear on my question. I always keep my coach full. I was referring to the car I tow. Should I keep it full or is the extra weight from the gas a problem

7. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Ree @ Sep 24 2010, 11:16 PM) [snapback]24270[/snapback]

I think I wasn't clear on my question. I always keep my coach full. I was referring to the car I tow. Should I keep it full or is the extra weight from the gas a problem

I was talking about the toad. We really don't worry about it. The extra weight would have a difference on the coach mileage. Dragging that extra 150 pounds of gas does make a difference. but not enough for me to fool with. We never let the coach get below 1/4 as that is where the on board generator runs out of gas. This has really been helpful twice recently when we had the dreaded Workhorse brake failure and had to wait 2 to 4 hours for assistance. Having the ability to run the AC really made a very bad situation better. Sorry for the confusion.

8. Ree

Ree
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Sep 24 2010, 11:36 PM) [snapback]24271[/snapback]

I was talking about the toad. We really don't worry about it. The extra weight would have a difference on the coach mileage. Dragging that extra 150 pounds of gas does make a difference. but not enough for me to fool with. We never let the coach get below 1/4 as that is where the on board generator runs out of gas. This has really been helpful twice recently when we had the dreaded Workhorse brake failure and had to wait 2 to 4 hours for assistance. Having the ability to run the AC really made a very bad situation better. Sorry for the confusion.

Lindsay.....You mentioned a workhorse brake failure. I just received a letter from workhorse regarding a recall on the brake calipers. Was this your problem? I am concerned since my rv dealer cannot get the new parts for me before I leave for a trip next month. I have 14000 miles on the coach so I am hoping 800 more will be okay! Don't know what else to do! I am on their list but it is a long one!!

9. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Workhorse has had a massive recall mandated by the Feds. There are about 50,000 RV's involved. It is a giant problem and could have easily caused a fatal accident when we were in the mountains. See my story here.
    http://www.linandnancy.com/workhorsebrakes1.html

A great info source is located here

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/has-wh-star...-yet-70009.html

There are Workhorse service centers where you can get it done quicker. I have had mine done twice already and go in for the new design brakes on all 4 wheels on October 4th. It is free. You might want to get them to flush the brake fluid, because the excess heat can damage the fluid and cause problems. If your trip involves mountain driving, I'd not go until you replace the old design calipers. Inform yourself. The Workhorse recall site has lots of information. Getting the letter means you are involved.

10. bjma

bjma
    Expand Collapse

I fill the gas tank.
    I figure that IF I need to leave the MH somewhere, I want to make sure that the car is road ready.
    The extra weight is no big deal, I would rather drain off 10 gallons of water in the fresh water tank than to drain off 15 gallons of gas in the toad.