Rv Park Owner Disconnected Our Power And Moved It

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by iradi8, Sep 28, 2010.

1. iradi8

iradi8
    Expand Collapse

I posted a review of this particular rv park, but it hasn't come through yet. I thought I'd ask here to see what others think. Our rv is our home, complete with all of our electronics and our dog. We are living in it this year and traveling around the country.

We recently were in an rv park where the power boxes were located behind every other site, therefore two sites used the same box. There was one 30A and one 50A in each box. When we pulled in we were told to plug in to the box on either side. We chose the driver's side because we didn't think our cord would reach around to the other. The sites on either side of us were empty at the time.

The next morning we left to go sightseeing and when we returned we saw that our power cord had been unplugged and moved to the site on the passenger side. Another rig was now in the site next to us on the driver's side and was plugged into the 50A that we were previously plugged into. We were not happy that the owner not only took it upon himself to put another 50A rig into that site knowing we were already using the 50A outlet, but that he felt it was okay to unplug our power "for ten minutes" and plug it into the site on the other side. I doubt that he threw any circuit breakers when he did this. Certainly, he didn't care if our a/cs came back on for the dog. He apparently has done this before and thinks it's okay to touch other people's property.

Would you be okay with this? We weren't and he told us to leave and gave us a refund so that no one else would find out. On another review site, I later found that other reviewers saw the owner have confrontations with other guests and one said that the owner was unstable. So, I guess this guy takes liberties with other people's stuff and they don't like it. Guess we weren't the only ones:)

2. rgatijnet

rgatijnet
    Expand Collapse

The best thing to do is write the review with an honest description of your experience at the RV Park. I agree that the owner should not have unplugged your power cord BUT, to be fair, that is no different than if you had a power outage while you were connected to shore power. We have been plugged in at a park while a storm came through and we lost power. A short time later, 15 minutes or so, the power came back on. This caused some of our electronics to reset, but it didn't do any damage. Again, just write the review and explain your own experience so that others can read your comments and decide if they want to stay there or not.

3. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn't worry about it. No malice intended here. You should also have a good surge protector setup between your coach and the pedestal. This guy probably had no clue he was making you mad.

4. iradi8

iradi8
    Expand Collapse

I did post our experience so that others would know that with this particular setup the owner will unplug you without your knowledge. Obviously this will bother some and not others, but at least they will be forewarned. I do happen to believe that intentionally unplugging me and touching my property is different than a random loss of power. I just don't think anyone should be touching my rv or my stuff while I'm gone:) Thanks for the replies. B)

5. J Miller

J Miller
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(iradi8 @ Sep 30 2010, 12:56 AM) [snapback]24357[/snapback]

I did post our experience so that others would know that with this particular setup the owner will unplug you without your knowledge. Obviously this will bother some and not others, but at least they will be forewarned. I do happen to believe that intentionally unplugging me and touching my property is different than a random loss of power. I just don't think anyone should be touching my rv or my stuff while I'm gone:) Thanks for the replies. B)

Agreed :)

6. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

That would tick me off! If you are told to "pick one" then whatever you pick you should get to keep! That's wrong to do what they did.

JJ

7. kcmoedoe

kcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

No big deal. They apparently moved it to accomodate another RVer. It doesn't hurt anything to have your rig unplugged and plugged back in. As someone else said, it is just as if the power went out to the whole park and came back on. If you RV enough, you will see the power goes out relatively frequently when you are off the beaten path. The just isn't the redundency in transmission lines to keep the power on when trees fall on lines, transformers fail and the like. Look at it from the point of view of the other RV. Would you have been happy to be given a site and then told "sorry, we made a mistake and had this other rv plug into the wrong plug and you can't have power until he gets back and moves it 10 feet to the correct plug?" If this is the worst thing that ever happens to you, you will have lived a blessed life.

8. campNout

campNout
    Expand Collapse

You certainly have the right to be or not be up set over the power cord move, BUT reading this now puts thoughts in my head as to whether I should ever touch another RV. Our park is in a location where one minute the weather can be dead calm and the next minute the wind picks up and can and has damaged awnings that have been left out. We do our best to warn people at check in "Do not go off and leave your awning out" but some do. We have taken it upon ourselves to try and save the awning, now I will re think that. What if the wind slightly damaged it and we put it up to keep it from being totally destroyed and then the owner feels we should not have touched it.
    What do you do? Just say-en :p

9. DG Miller

DG Miller
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(campNout @ Oct 10 2010, 01:25 PM) [snapback]24563[/snapback]

You certainly have the right to be or not be up set over the power cord move, BUT reading this now puts thoughts in my head as to whether I should ever touch another RV. Our park is in a location where one minute the weather can be dead calm and the next minute the wind picks up and can and has damaged awnings that have been left out. We do our best to warn people at check in "Do not go off and leave your awning out" but some do. We have taken it upon ourselves to try and save the awning, now I will re think that. What if the wind slightly damaged it and we put it up to keep it from being totally destroyed and then the owner feels we should not have touched it.
    What do you do? Just say-en :p

If you warn the owner then you probably should not touch the awnings etc. I am a firm believer that as an owner I am responsible for my RV but if you did notice something park related affecting an RV(tree limbs coming down) you should do what you can to mitigate damages. Despite what any contract states I believe when you rent a spot it should be considered your property for the time. Unless of course you break the rules.

This is similar but not as serious as when I had my trailer stored and the storage owner decided to let a crew move it without contacting me. I was very upset because the property I pay rent on and my trailer are my property technically.

For those that say no big deal, I wish I could have that attitude but then again I would be a completely different person than I am. :)