Any Feedback On Ford V-10 Gas Engine For Rvs?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by happyscampers, Oct 14, 2010.

1. happyscampers

happyscampers
    Expand Collapse

We're considering a new class C motorhome with this engine and wonder if anyone has any feedback on general performance, reliability, gas mileage, towing power for car, etc. Any feedback greatly appreciated.

2. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

There have been many of them produced and they seem to do well. My neighbor has one and loves it. Been around for a good while.

3. chickenpants

chickenpants
    Expand Collapse

I have 50,000 trouble free miles on my 2004 Ford e-450 Triton V-10. It has a ton of power, I've always towed a Jeep or an old VW (Baja Bug). I get 7-7.5 mpg depending how hard I drive it. That seems to be the mileage others get.

One area of potential trouble is that it is common that a spark plug is broken when replacing requiring removal of the head to repair. I'm hoping that is sorted out before mine is due for spark plug replacement.

4. happyscampers

happyscampers
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(chickenpants @ Oct 17 2010, 05:15 PM) [snapback]24620[/snapback]

I have 50,000 trouble free miles on my 2004 Ford e-450 Triton V-10. It has a ton of power, I've always towed a Jeep or an old VW (Baja Bug). I get 7-7.5 mpg depending how hard I drive it. That seems to be the mileage others get.

One area of potential trouble is that it is common that a spark plug is broken when replacing requiring removal of the head to repair. I'm hoping that is sorted out before mine is due for spark plug replacement.

Interesting to hear about the mileage. Winnebago uses that engine and claims 12 mph for the 26 ft Impulse. Of course that's not with a "toad," but still...

5. chickenpants

chickenpants
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(happyscampers @ Oct 17 2010, 05:27 PM) [snapback]24622[/snapback]

Interesting to hear about the mileage. Winnebago uses that engine and claims 12 mph for the 26 ft Impulse. Of course that's not with a "toad," but still...

You can do a little research around other forums and then see if you believe the advertisement. I think you will find my mileage is typical for the V-10 be it in an RV or heavy duty truck.

6. happyscampers

happyscampers
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(chickenpants @ Oct 18 2010, 10:37 AM) [snapback]24626[/snapback]

You can do a little research around other forums and then see if you believe the advertisement. I think you will find my mileage is typical for the V-10 be it in an RV or heavy duty truck.

Thanks for your feedback. Any other RV forums you like?

7. Lenny & Judy

Lenny & Judy
    Expand Collapse

Hi all, we have a 2015 Winnebago Q27 Minnie Winnie on a Ford E450 chassis and of course the V-10 with about 38,000 miles on it. I've made many upgrades to it including suspension, aerodynamics, and a tuner.
    Just a couple of days ago I installed a unique oil catch can system made by Tracy Lewis of RX Performance. You can check out his system on YouTube.
    Basically, it reroutes the PCV system, which is part of the emmissions system, that usually sucks the oil gasses that build up in your engine in to your engine which can cause problems down the road. The RX Performance device changes the routing from th pcv valve to a filtered catch can and back to the engine eliminating up to 80% of the oil vapors.
    After installing the device, I was amazed at how much more responsive the throttle was! It was like uncorking the power.
    Anyway, I am not afilliated with RX Performance, but I just had to tell you guys my experience. They also advertise up to 17% increase in gas mileage, which I will keep you updated as soon I have more data.