What Makes A Good Campground?

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by happyscampers, Oct 20, 2010.

1. busyteach

busyteach
    Expand Collapse

I'm definitely for scenic places that are reasonably quiet with ample space between RVs. Clean bathrooms are not so important because we mainly use our own, however they are usually a sign that the campground is well maintained.

Some open space is nice since we travel with our dogs and enjoy either playing Frisbee to give them needed exercise or a place to go for walks. I love children, but don't particularly want them zigzagging through my campsite because of my dogs and a reasonable quiet time at night is nice for some ambiance to relax outside.

I'm a fan of state parks because they are such for a reason. The downside is they are high traffic areas and sometimes not policed against rowdy campers.

And...dependable wifi is pretty important since I run a business at home, especially if I do not have good cell service to read my emails.

2. EMDQueen

EMDQueen
    Expand Collapse

As a full time RVer in a travel trailer, we use our own shower. (We rebuilt it to suit us) We look for wide spaces since we have the trailer at 37 feet, the truck and a car we need more space. We also like peace and quiet but are not fanatical about it. We don't mind an occasional dog bark or kids playing. We DO mind when dog owners do not pick up after their pets! This is a big issue and I think that campgrounds should look at eviction for violaters more often for this infraction. We don't mind if you play your music or have some friends over and bar b q or have a good time but please remember that most parks have quiet times and if they don't 10 pm is just good manners! I look for good laundry facilities. A pool is nice and wi-fi is a plus. Cable TV is a real nice feature since setting up the dish can sometimes be a hassle for just one or two nights. Price is always an issue. If you charge premium prices, need to have premium facilites.

3. mikel

mikel
    Expand Collapse

We've got quite a few reasons to rate a campground as, "Good". It usually depends on location. Unfortunately some places just don't have what I would rate as a, "Top" campground. We are not retired, my wife and I both still teach, so 90% of our long term travel is done during summer months followed by Christmas, Spring Break then 3-4 day weekend getaways. All that being said , when we look for a place security is the top priority, followed be facility/grounds upkeep. Upkeep to include hook-ups, sanitation facilities, interior roads, and sites. As far as Wifi goes if we are moving from place to place fairly quickly it's not always mandatory, Most of the time I can get a phone signal and do all need from my phone. If nothing is provided we usually know well ahead of time and plan accordingly. TV usually doesn't matter too much, as long as I have somehow to get the news occasionally. For me it usually come down to planning, if we are planning a long term stay, I make sure everything we need is there. I usually don't even trust this webisite that much. If it's a sure stay, a day or so and I don't do my planning, I don't have anyone to blame but myself. Somethings are out of our control, and the best rated places can provide a different experience each time anyone stays there. So ultimately it comes down to the Staff you have to deal with and how they run their park. I've been to some places that provided nothing but a site, we ran generators the whole time and had a blast. The other hand, been to places that were supposed to be the, "bees knees" and not could wait to leave... and in fact we left some places early, due to staff/owners and or upkeep. Check out this Ocean Lakes Picture, I loved that place, and how it came alive at night.[attachmentid=206]

Attached Files:

4. J. Bever

J. Bever
    Expand Collapse

After 24 years owning a campground I can personaly say what makes a good campground is the owner! :D

5. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(J. Bever @ Dec 21 2010, 01:25 AM) [snapback]25121[/snapback]

After 24 years owning a campground I can personaly say what makes a good campground is the owner! :D

And/or Manager :rolleyes: :D

6. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

7. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(dalsgal @ Dec 21 2010, 07:21 AM) [snapback]25122[/snapback]

And/or Manager :rolleyes: :D

Owner, manager... basically, whoever is actually at the campground and in charge.

8. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

My favorite campground has a well lighted parking area, completely paved parking, very large shopping area with full grocery, fresh produce, camping department, clean restrooms (no showers), overnight security with cameras, waterfront site (retention ponds), free pricing, interesting people, 4,100 locations, great atlas, complementary shopping carts, senior priced morning coffee, no hookups, wooded sites, international cliental, and many other features too numerous to enumerate here. The name of this campground chain is of course Wal-mart.