Looking For A "family Vacation Spot"

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Skymessenger, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Skymessenger

Skymessenger
    Expand Collapse

We have begin plaining our 2011 Family Vacation time. We live in South Alabama and thinking of taking a trip somewhere in the West Virginia area. We have been to Flordia, Tenneessee and even Branson. Now we are thinking of going to West Virginia area. Never been there and have no ideas where to look or what to expect.

We like to do something as a family, for example, "Good Family Shows, Activites, Swimming pool is a plus and perhaps a theme park or water park." We also want to be sure the RV Park is a family park where there are things for childrens to do.

I appreciate any suggestions. In fact it doesn't have to be in the Virginia area, just somewhere that may be new to us. We hate to travel so far and once we get there we are disappointed.

I have a 150 Ford Truck pulling a 27' travel trailer. I am concern about pulling it on a steep hill. Please keep this in mind as you think of a sugestion.

Thank you in advance!

2. 2fulltimers

2fulltimers
    Expand Collapse

West Virginia has great state parks. Going up US 219 there are 3 wonderful ones in a row, 2 are resort parks and have everything you normally find in state parks + horseback riding and golf. 3rd one is right on a river and bike trail. Hills are prevalent but it isn't the rockies so you should be fine.

3. Seattle Steve

Seattle Steve
    Expand Collapse

You didn't mention how old the children are, but Williamsburg VA would be a good option for both theme parks and educational experience. That was always SOP for us on vacation--at least one museum or other educational experience was mandatory.

4. mamawjudy

mamawjudy
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Skymessenger @ Oct 23 2010, 02:33 PM) [snapback]24679[/snapback]

We have begin plaining our 2011 Family Vacation time. We live in South Alabama and thinking of taking a trip somewhere in the West Virginia area. We have been to Flordia, Tenneessee and even Branson. Now we are thinking of going to West Virginia area. Never been there and have no ideas where to look or what to expect.

We like to do something as a family, for example, "Good Family Shows, Activites, Swimming pool is a plus and perhaps a theme park or water park." We also want to be sure the RV Park is a family park where there are things for childrens to do.

I appreciate any suggestions. In fact it doesn't have to be in the Virginia area, just somewhere that may be new to us. We hate to travel so far and once we get there we are disappointed.

I have a 150 Ford Truck pulling a 27' travel trailer. I am concern about pulling it on a steep hill. Please keep this in mind as you think of a sugestion.

Thank you in advance!
    Hi Skymessenger!! My husband and I camped in Berlin, Md. at a wonderful campground called Castaways. It was on the Chesapeake Bay, but close to all the fun in Ocean City Md. They had a nice pool and a shuttle that took you into the city of Ocean City, Md every 2 hours. The sites were very nice! The staff was so friendly! In Ocean City there is an amusement park, water park, mini golf, etc!! We also stayed at Yocum's Family Campground in Seneca Rocks, WV, but were a little disappointed in the campground. The Seneca Rocks was beautiful!! Very majestic. We rode on horseback to the top and it was amazing. No pool, water park etc, just nature and the beautiful rocks! Big mountains!! :eek:

5. edcornflake

edcornflake
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Skymessenger @ Oct 23 2010, 02:33 PM) [snapback]24679[/snapback]

The eastern panhandle of WV is great. Haven't camped there in a long time, but there's plenty to do. Harpers Ferry, Antietam, Gettysburg all within reasonable distances (if you're into the history of the war between the states). Washington DC is only 90 minutes away. There's also a few natural caves/caverns in the surrounding areas of WV, & VA.

I can't speak for the hills getting from AL to WV though. WV is, generally speaking a mountanous state. I lived there for a few years and I recall the roads being both hilly, and winding (supposedly designed to slow any Russian invasion during the cold war as the gov't pulled back into the hills).

Another option is to go for Bridge Day over the new river Gorge - I think it takes place in October. Some web research would tell you for sure - I hear it's a great festival to attend.

6. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

It would be hard to beat Washington, DC for family activities.

7. lauriefla

lauriefla
    Expand Collapse

Some links I found.. I must say that I love WV, the mountains are wonderful, and there's lots of family things to do. Tourism is very important to WV, and most of the people who you come in contact with are very courteous and helpful. The state parks are wonderful, and if you are careful on the roads, very navigable with a camper.

http://wvtourism.com/default.aspx

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g28971-...-Vacations.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_River_Gorge_Bridge

http://www.wvstateparks.com/

http://www.gauley.com/
    http://rivermen.com/
    http://www.aceraft.com/

http://www.burningrockwv.com/family-adventures

http://virginias.choicehotels.com/west-vir...milyattractions

Hope these help! :D

8. Skymessenger

Skymessenger
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(lauriefla @ Oct 25 2010, 08:04 PM) [snapback]24708[/snapback]

Hope these help! :D

Yes, I apprciate all the input on this matter. I was looking for a new spot in having our "Family Vacation" next summer. I want to thank everyone for their time and input. Because of the encomy we may again stay close to home again.

9. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Skymessenger @ Oct 23 2010, 11:33 AM) [snapback]24679[/snapback]

If you decide on WVA I make an assumption that you'll travel via GA and TN. I-81 in east TN is hilly, but should be no problem for you. I-77 north of Waynesville, VA is steeper going across the Applacian/Blue Ridge mountains. That will slow you down a bit, but length of the grades isn't too bad. It may not be the direction you are thinking about, but will mention that you might want to avoid I-77 going north from Chalotte, NC. That's a steep climb for your rig and probably will get you slow enough to have to be in the truck lane. Then there's the downhill side. But then again it is interstate so it's manageable.

You might want to consider visiting a coal mine if you do WVA. There is one in Beckley, WVA right off I-77 whiich is a nice tour for adults and kids. There is a campground there.

10. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

This isn't about W. Virginia, but this area is great as far as family attractions. You can put it on the back burner for a future vacation, if you want.
    Ocean City Md, Frontier Town Campground. Has a wild west theme park, kids pool and water rides, crabbing, fishing and childrens activities. Assateague Is. is just down the road, where you can swim in the ocean, see the wild ponies and the pigmey deer, along with all different birds. The Ocean City boardwalk is another attraction just down the road, with rides and games.
    Your right about the economy. Last year was the first time in 10 years we were unable to go there because of it. Hopefully thing will change for the better, soon.
    Happy camping. Bob

11. RFCN2

RFCN2
    Expand Collapse

The best "family" vacation spot I have ever been to is Colter Bay WY. No matter if you stay in the cabins or RV park this place is set up for family fun. Fishing, hiking, horses, boating, Yellowstone, white water rafting, several restaurants, Grand Teton, wonderful staff, ranger talks every night, park museum on site. It is farther for you than W VA, but I absolutely guaranty you won't be sorry you went.

12. Skymessenger

Skymessenger
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Skymessenger @ Oct 27 2010, 02:04 AM) [snapback]24723[/snapback]

Yes, I apprciate all the input on this matter. I was looking for a new spot in having our "Family Vacation" next summer. I want to thank everyone for their time and input. Because of the encomy we may again stay close to home again.

Again.... thanks everyone for their input.... I really appreciate all the suggestions....