Pets & Parks

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Procarver, Nov 19, 2010.

1. rwarner22

rwarner22
    Expand Collapse

I am listening to a dog bark now. He/she has been at it for the last 5 hours. Ugh

2. Labrador Fan

Labrador Fan
    Expand Collapse

Many of the New York State Parks have Pet Loops and No-Pet Loops. This seems to work out well and solves a lot of those problems. Unfortunately, some of the parks that have 'preferred' or 'water-view' sites make those the No-Pets sites. In that case, I feel then that I am being discriminated against. :(

We have two labs, and yep.... bought a bigger coach to keep us all a bit more comfortable. They love to travel with us, are well behaved while riding and while camping. I invest in PoopBags.com which are 'GREEN' and environmentally friendly. I just wish that everyone would 'walk their dog' which would help to socialize them. That would help to alleviate the 'yappies'.

Happy travels.....

Labrador Fan :rolleyes:

3. Gunnar

Gunnar
    Expand Collapse

We camp with two dogs. One is a rotty the other a rescue from the SPCA. He is a Malamute cross. The bulk of our outings are to the same place. Once we start loading up the 5th wheel the dogs know what is happening, they get pretty excited.

Upon arrival at the campsite we are greated with dog treats for the dogs. The dogs love the walks, the river and just people watching. Of course they love the campsite owners as well because we can't pass the office without a treat and a pet.

I offered them a couple pictures of the dogs we had with us which they gladly took. I made the suggestion of starting a campers dog wall at the office. They thought it was a great idea.

Camping without the dogs is not an option for us.

4. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Horror story...
    A couple of months ago, we were camping in free campground on BLM land with our kids and dogs. One of my kids left his BB gun outside the motorhome while we went fishing for a couple of hours. When we got back, we found that other kids had come into our site, played with his gun, but worse, had shot at our dog who was probably barking at the kid(s) from the front windshield.

Lesson learned: have your kids pick up their toys when not around and take your dogs with you everywhere. $250.00 deductable (total was over $1,000 to replace windshield) later I am wiser.

5. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Labrador Fan @ Jul 30 2011, 09:28 PM) [snapback]26977[/snapback]

Many of the New York State Parks have Pet Loops and No-Pet Loops. This seems to work out well and solves a lot of those problems. Unfortunately, some of the parks that have 'preferred' or 'water-view' sites make those the No-Pets sites. In that case, I feel then that I am being discriminated against. :(

We have two labs, and yep.... bought a bigger coach to keep us all a bit more comfortable. They love to travel with us, are well behaved while riding and while camping. I invest in PoopBags.com which are 'GREEN' and environmentally friendly. I just wish that everyone would 'walk their dog' which would help to socialize them. That would help to alleviate the 'yappies'.

Happy travels.....

Labrador Fan :rolleyes:

If only you were 100% correct about socializing your dogs to help alleviate the yapping. I have a 6 yo Golden who gets excited whenever she sees a person or other dog and she greets them by "growling" deeply. To a non-dog loving person this can seem threatening. Others understand but I still worry about it. She doesn't have a mean bone in her body and lets all the dogs play with her. After breeding, raising and showing dogs for 20 years this is the only one I've ever had like this. Luckily she is a happy go lucky dog and the joy of our life.

6. Labrador Fan

Labrador Fan
    Expand Collapse

Our Murphy (the Yellow Lab) makes a growling sound when you rub his ears. To me, I recognize the sound of 'oh boy that feels good'! But to the vet tech, she thought he was growling at her. I know EXACTLY what you are saying! Gotta love our pups and the special unique personalities!

Laborador Fan

QUOTE(abbygolden @ Aug 3 2011, 04:04 PM) [snapback]27073[/snapback]

If only you were 100% correct about socializing your dogs to help alleviate the yapping. I have a 6 yo Golden who gets excited whenever she sees a person or other dog and she greets them by "growling" deeply. To a non-dog loving person this can seem threatening. Others understand but I still worry about it. She doesn't have a mean bone in her body and lets all the dogs play with her. After breeding, raising and showing dogs for 20 years this is the only one I've ever had like this. Luckily she is a happy go lucky dog and the joy of our life.

7. rkw99

rkw99
    Expand Collapse

One of the reasons we orginally bought our trailer 9 years ago was to take our dog with us. As it turned out he didn't really like it. Always seemed nervous. Also learned that campground rules state not to leave pet unattended in the camper. So when we went out sightseeing we had to take him with us. That was kind of restricting since most places don't allow dogs. After a couple of trips we decided he was happier staying at my mom's with her 3 dogs and went camping without him. He's gone now unfortunately. If we ever get another puppy, we will try to get him acclimated to camping while young.

I hadn't really thought about the issue of people who don't want to be around dogs but I like the idea of no-pet zones in RV parks. Even when people clean up after their pets, there are residues and I would prefer my kids not come in contact with that. I also wouldn't mind smoking free areas. I notice a lot of people smoking and have come to realize it's probably one of the only places smokers can vacation. I can't stand the smell of smoke but can deal with the occasional wafting over since it's better than years ago everywhere else being smoke free!

8. AZKimB

AZKimB
    Expand Collapse

WOW. This comment really stirred up a hornets nest. What struck me when reading through the posts is the nasty comments in some of the replies. The reality is, is that RV'ers come from all walks of life. Many are families with children and pets. Some of us (like Bill and I) RV part time and take along our pets. And there are others who have no kids or pets. The bottom line is that we all love to RV because of the freedom and enjoyment it gives us. Our dogs are part of our family and we love to have them with us. We make sure they don't bother other people's quiet enjoyment; we put a stop to barking immediately if something causes it. We clean up immediately after them. We couldn't imagine RV'ing without our much loved (and well behaved) fur kids. I'd rather have a nice family of RV'ers and their pet/s next to me than rowdy, disrespectful RV'ers whose idea of going into the great outdoors is to get drunk and disorderly. The vast majority of pet owners, in my experience, have been very responsible. Naturally a dog will bark, children will shout out in excited happiness, people will sit around their campsite and laugh and joke. The important thing, my RV'ing colleagues, is to be considerate of others at all times and in our communications be respectful.
    PS: Check out our pet Tips & Tricks for pet owners on our RV site at www.BillAndKimOnTheRoadAgain.com

Kim and Bill, AZ
    Coco, Suki and Bindi
    :)

9. kcmoedoe

kcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(rkw99 @ Aug 4 2011, 09:17 AM) [snapback]27086[/snapback]

I hadn't really thought about the issue of people who don't want to be around dogs but I like the idea of no-pet zones in RV parks. Even when people clean up after their pets, there are residues and I would prefer my kids not come in contact with that. I also wouldn't mind smoking free areas. I notice a lot of people smoking and have come to realize it's probably one of the only places smokers can vacation. I can't stand the smell of smoke but can deal with the occasional wafting over since it's better than years ago everywhere else being smoke free!

Though separate areas sound great, I would think it would be a logistical impossibility. even if you only had four criteria of Pet/no pet Smoking/no smoking, kids/no kids, campfire/no campfire you would have 24 different combinations to have separate areas for. Even if they could do that, what good would it do you to be in a no pet/no campfire/no smoking/no kid section site if it was next to the pets/smoking/campfire/ kid section? To make it work you would need to have almost a separate RV park for each combination.

10. AZKimB

AZKimB
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(kcmoedoe @ Aug 7 2011, 09:23 AM) [snapback]27117[/snapback]

Though separate areas sound great, I would think it would be a logistical impossibility. even if you only had four criteria of Pet/no pet Smoking/no smoking, kids/no kids, campfire/no campfire you would have 24 different combinations to have separate areas for. Even if they could do that, what good would it do you to be in a no pet/no campfire/no smoking/no kid section site if it was next to the pets/smoking/campfire/ kid section? To make it work you would need to have almost a separate RV park for each combination.

I agree. Well said. And the reality is what park owner could a) have the space available to accommodate everyone's different wants and needs, and B) if they did, think of the extra site costs that would undoubtedly be levied to provide RV'ers all their wants and desires. IMHO the bottom line is that sanity, commonsense, and a huge dose of tolerance must prevail.

11. GarrettSmith

GarrettSmith
    Expand Collapse

We travel with our two Rotts. Perfectly well behaved and wonderful ambassadors for the breed.
    I don't like barking dogs either. But I also don't like loud music late at night. We would certainly opt for a "pet lovers" section in a campground. Seeing the country with our pups, simply makes the whole experience that much better.

12. chowhound

chowhound
    Expand Collapse

I find it interesting the originator of this thread Procarver, chose to make as his very first post ever to this forum a new thread declaring his disdain of any pets in RV parks. For which, he was politely "flamed" by the those of the opposing, and likely majority view. He fired back a few salvos directed to various other indidual posters, but has never returned to post on any other thread in almost a year. It's as if he likes us even less than he likes our pets, and I never got a chance to ask him how he feels about my goldfish Charley.

13. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(chowhound @ Aug 19 2011, 12:40 AM) [snapback]27244[/snapback]

I find it interesting the originator of this thread Procarver, chose to make as his very first post ever to this forum a new thread declaring his disdain of any pets in RV parks. For which, he was politely "flamed" by the those of the opposing, and likely majority view. He fired back a few salvos directed to various other indidual posters, but has never returned to post on any other thread in almost a year. It's as if he likes us even less than he likes our pets, and I never got a chance to ask him how he feels about my goldfish Charley.

I guess your goldfish Charley would be ok as long as he is kept on a leash not longer than 6 feet.

14. rgatijnet

rgatijnet
    Expand Collapse

I have had no problems with the RV Parks that say that they accept pets. We always provide our own bags and clean up after our large dog.
    I have had a few problems with other pet owners when it comes to respecting our parking site, or respecting our space, when we are walking our dog. We have a Great Pyrenees, which is a great big white teddy bear but they are also bred to guard their flock. I appreciate that some of you with your cute little dogs want to have our dogs "meet", but PLEASE don't attempt it without asking first. DON"T assume that my dog wants to meet your dog.
    If your little dog acts aggressive(in my dog's opinion...your opinion does not count) she may react to protect herself or my wife and me. It may be because she felt threatened by your dog or because my dog just may be having a bad day. 99.9% of the time, my dog is the friendliest creature you will ever meet, but DON"T assume that a dog that weighs over 100 pounds is ALWAYS willing to be approached by strangers or their pets.
    The situation may just be that I have her out to do her business, and we are planning to travel soon. We do not need the interruption of this activity and sometimes it can be difficult to get her focused again.
    Please do not take this as personal criticism of all dogs. We love dogs and have always had and traveled with our pets. We are just asking for a little common sense to be used and to request that strangers first ask before they approach our dog. I don't appreciate having my arm jerked off and you may not appreciate having your dog injured. We always show the same respect to other people's animals. :)

15. acampingfan

acampingfan
    Expand Collapse

I think the two key words are "Tolerance" and "Consideration of others"......as has been already related, the OP posted just to get a "flaming" war started. His original statements were so biased that convincing him otherwise would be useless. I travel with 4, yes, count them 4 Cavalier KCS, all saved from a variety of rescue organizations. I, too, bought an RV so that the kids could go along with us and I would not even consider Kenneling them unless the most dire situation presented itself.

Once again, as others have noted, having a campground with separate areas for pet people and Non pet people(or as I like to call them, Pet Haters) would be a perfect solution. I know for a fact that I would prefer staying next to a fellow RV'er with 20 dogs/cats/birds etc etc than staying next to the OP!!!!

16. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(rgatijnet @ Aug 25 2011, 09:54 AM) [snapback]27287[/snapback]

If your little dog acts aggressive(in my dog's opinion...your opinion does not count) she may react to protect herself or my wife and me. It may be because she felt threatened by your dog or because my dog just may be having a bad day. 99.9% of the time, my dog is the friendliest creature you will ever meet, but DON"T assume that a dog that weighs over 100 pounds is ALWAYS willing to be approached by strangers or their pets.

I don't assume any dog, of any size, is wanting to be friendly. I never approach a pet without asking if they like strangers, especially if they are in "their" vehicle or home area. We have a deaf cat that is always on a leash when he is outside. He was badly abused before we got him and he does bite. We tell everyone that he will bite but so many people say "oh, cats always like me" and then yell at us when he bites. He is a sweetheart with us because he trusts us but when people used to kick you and have their dogs attack you you tend to be a bit less tolerant of strangers.

17. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(acampingfan @ Aug 26 2011, 03:42 PM) [snapback]27314[/snapback]

Once again, as others have noted, having a campground with separate areas for pet people and Non pet people(or as I like to call them, Pet Haters) would be a perfect solution. I know for a fact that I would prefer staying next to a fellow RV'er with 20 dogs/cats/birds etc etc than staying next to the OP!!!!

I think you might be going a little overboard. Not being a "pet person" doesn't necessarily make one a "pet hater" any more than not having children makes one a "child hater". I don't own a pet for several reasons, including that fact that my boyfriend is very allergic to dogs and cats. It's either him or a pet. I chose him.....he came already house-broken, I don't have to walk him and he doesn't bark at night. I have owned many pets in the past, but my lifestyle right now isn't compatible with owning one. I do, however, very much enjoy meeting my fellow camper's animals, the well-behaved ones at least (the animals AND the campers). To be frank, however, I think I just might prefer staying next to the OP than next to a "fellow RV'er with 20 dogs/cats/birds etc".

18. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(rgatijnet @ Aug 25 2011, 09:54 AM) [snapback]27287[/snapback]

I have had no problems with the RV Parks that say that they accept pets. We always provide our own bags and clean up after our large dog.
    I have had a few problems with other pet owners when it comes to respecting our parking site, or respecting our space, when we are walking our dog. We have a Great Pyrenees, which is a great big white teddy bear but they are also bred to guard their flock. I appreciate that some of you with your cute little dogs want to have our dogs "meet", but PLEASE don't attempt it without asking first. DON"T assume that my dog wants to meet your dog.
    The situation may just be that I have her out to do her business, and we are planning to travel soon. We do not need the interruption of this activity and sometimes it can be difficult to get her focused again.
    Please do not take this as personal criticism of all dogs. We love dogs and have always had and traveled with our pets. We are just asking for a little common sense to be used and to request that strangers first ask before they approach our dog. I don't appreciate having my arm jerked off and you may not appreciate having your dog injured. We always show the same respect to other people's animals. :)

Amen! This should be required reading for ALL dog owners. Thanks for a well measured comment.

19. acampingfan

acampingfan
    Expand Collapse

Just to be clear...I never said those that dont have Pets are Pet hater's...I was referring to those that take such a drastic stand against Pets and those of us who have Pets, are in my view, the haters. They have no TOLERANCE for anyone or anything that doesnt fit their ideal..they would just as well complain about your awning lights, you TV or radio outside, your BBQ too close to their rig, your kids playing in the camground.......you get the idea!

20. Gunnar

Gunnar
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(GarrettSmith @ Aug 18 2011, 08:25 PM) [snapback]27240[/snapback]

We travel with our two Rotts. Perfectly well behaved and wonderful ambassadors for the breed.
    I don't like barking dogs either. But I also don't like loud music late at night. We would certainly opt for a "pet lovers" section in a campground. Seeing the country with our pups, simply makes the whole experience that much better.

Love hearing about others putting the rotts best foot forward.