Pets & Parks

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Procarver, Nov 19, 2010.

1. edthecat

edthecat
    Expand Collapse

I'd have to say it's down to the owners as well. We have a small terrier mix and he stays with my parents when we go camping. He's a bit high strung and will bark a lot if he sees a strange dog or people, or if we were to leave him alone. He wouldn't enjoy a trip, we wouldn't enjoy it, and the other campers wouldn't appreciate his barking either so he gets to visit his "grandparents".

2. Happy Camper X2

Happy Camper X2
    Expand Collapse

We find it difficult at times to be a pet owner. The cat is easy, he stays home and we put out extra food and water. The dog can be tough. If we are hanging at the campground, usually not a big deal as long as we do not plan to swim, go to the store or participate in any activities. It gets tough when you have to run to a store, can't leave the dog and can't leave the dog in the hot car. If we are going to the beach for the day, then what? Many campgrounds state the dog cannot stay in or out of the trailer if you leave the campground. Someday just don't leave the dog outside which works for the store run. If we are planning day trips everyday we will usually find someone to leave the dog with but not a kennel. We have decided that this will be our last dog as she limits us too much.

3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

We've found campgrounds that don't allow a pet to be left in the coach while we shop or sight see for a several hours to be quite rare, and those few we have found, we avoid. Our 14 year old dog is quite content to be left alone in the coach, spending her time mostly sleeping just as she does when we're there. We try to limit our absences to no more than 6 hours max.

4. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We have always had dogs and cats, but it is much easier to travel with cats, so when we lost our last dog we did not get another one. Cats can stay alone in the RV for much longer periods of time, they don't have to be walked (they have their litter box), and they do not bark. We have never been told that we can't leave them alone while we run errands or sight-see. We would love to have another dog, but one would just not fit well into our current lifestyle.

5. Camping Mer

Camping Mer
    Expand Collapse

We bought our RV so our entire family could vacation... this includes our dogs. We have toy poodles so there is no worries about offending those with allergies. How would other people's pets affect your wife's allergies anyhow? Why would we want to lock our dogs in a cage while we are on vacation with minimal human contact? We have met so many friendly responsible dog owners since we started camping I love the campers as much as the excitement of going on vacation.
    Enjoying the outdoors with our pets is one of the best parts of owning an RV. I have a baggie carrier at the end of every leash (we do use leashes all the time) and clean up every mess. Pet owners that do not clean up after their pets bother me as well. Pets do not need proper training- the owners need the training to learn to communicate properly with their dogs- it is what obedience training is based on. I hope no rv resorts ever go to taking away pet owners rights to bring our pets. What do non-smokers have to do with non-pet owners? There is no health risk and you can stay in pet free areas of most rv resorts.

QUOTE(Procarver @ Nov 19 2010, 04:43 PM) [snapback]24903[/snapback]

We wish more parks had a strict "No Pet Policy". My wife is allergic to both dogs and cats so we have no pets and don't wish to be bothered by other peoples pets. Our family has been RVing for over 50 years and when we owned a dog and went camping our very well trained dog(s) went to the kennels where it belonged. Many people now days feel their damn mutt has more rights than people, such as being able to ignore leash regulations, nonsense. It also appears most of these "pampered pooches" have not had proper training which just exacerbates the problem. Oh, and let's not forget to mention the bozos who feel it is beneath them to pick up their animals deposits. Maybe it is time to equate non-pet owners rights with non-smokers rights. Remember, there was a time when non-smokers had no rights.

6. Camping Mer

Camping Mer
    Expand Collapse

I had to reread your post and his name 3 times to realize you did not spell his name incorrectly. He mentioned people changing the subject, I am not sure what spelling of user name has to do with dogs in RV parks in either case! Just as I am not sure what his wife's allergies have to do with our dogs in our RVs? Your points were dead on and correct. Probably why dogs are allowed. If 'most' campers did NOT want their dog with them most resorts would NOT allow them. Most campers are friendly and tolerant. The discussion is actually quite ridiculous the more I read these posts. Nobody can change how he feels about dogs in parks. Whether you are a pet owner or not, I don't believe anyone enjoys hearing any dog bark.

QUOTE(HappiestCamper @ Nov 22 2010, 11:12 PM) [snapback]24947[/snapback]

Just saying, been covered in a bunch of other topics here already.
    I know my eyesight is really bad, but I don't see where I spelled it wrong. "Pro" as in professional, "carver" as in what most of us will be doing with the turkey on Thursday?

7. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Camping Mer @ Jul 11 2014, 07:32 PM) [snapback]37235[/snapback]

I had to reread your post and his name 3 times to realize you did not spell his name incorrectly. He mentioned people changing the subject, I am not sure what spelling of user name has to do with dogs in RV parks in either case! Just as I am not sure what his wife's allergies have to do with our dogs in our RVs? Your points were dead on and correct. Probably why dogs are allowed. If 'most' campers did NOT want their dog with them most resorts would NOT allow them. Most campers are friendly and tolerant. The discussion is actually quite ridiculous the more I read these posts. Nobody can change how he feels about dogs in parks. Whether you are a pet owner or not, I don't believe anyone enjoys hearing any dog bark.

I didn't bother mentioning this last time - but I never typed out his name. I copied and pasted it where it was listed next to his post.