Adding Kwh Meters

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Dana1, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Dana1

Dana1
    Expand Collapse

My In Laws own a 40 site seasonal waterfront campground and we are looking at instaling kwh meters so we can reward the campers that conserve energy.. any Ideas would be greatly appreciated

2. willranless

willranless
    Expand Collapse

I have a Catalog for Utility Supply Group that lists a Meter Kit for $39.95 in 2009. Cost may have increased slightly since then. All of my sites are metered, and I read them on the 1st day of every month. I'm only concerned about those who are camping long-term (monthly) as far as Kwh usage goes. No one pays extra unless they exceed 1000 Kwh in a calendar month. I set the amount fairly high, actually hoping that few if any will exceed it, (few do). It does help everybody to realize that there is a limit to the amount of electricity they can consume, so it puts them in the mind-set of being somewhat conservative so they dont exceed the allotted Kwh. We used to try to keep up with the meter readings based on the day that the guest moved in, but too often we would forget or lose track of which meters needed to be read on what day, so I just set the 1st day of the month as "meter reading" day. That way they all get read at the same time. Sometimes I may even skip a month and then "average" the usage over two months.

3. Dana1

Dana1
    Expand Collapse

Great Info. thanks . We have had a few prices thrown at us the cheapest is about $172.00 per site with me installing them, so your opiton seems interesting would you have a web site or email you could pass along??

4. willranless

willranless
    Expand Collapse

www.go-usg.com is the web address. They have a complete meter kit for you to add to an existing site panel for $38.95. Regards.

5. Dana1

Dana1
    Expand Collapse

Thanks So much. I am getting in contact with them, this makes much more sense the our first option!
    Thanks Again
    Dana

6. gsbogart

gsbogart
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RanMan @ Dec 20 2010, 01:21 PM) [snapback]25111[/snapback]

www.go-usg.com is the web address. They have a complete meter kit for you to add to an existing site panel for $38.95. Regards.

Checked your site recommendation. Price is more like $216 for quantity orders. What happened?

7. willranless

willranless
    Expand Collapse

$216 is for a Portable Meter Kit. In the left column of the home page is a list. Under "Accessories" click "Electric Meters". There you will find a kit for $38.95 that can be permanently added to an existing site panel.

8. gsbogart

gsbogart
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RanMan @ Dec 27 2010, 02:54 PM) [snapback]25171[/snapback]

$216 is for a Portable Meter Kit. In the left column of the home page is a list. Under "Accessories" click "Electric Meters". There you will find a kit for $38.95 that can be permanently added to an existing site panel.

Didn't notice.
    Thanks

9. Dana1

Dana1
    Expand Collapse

RANMAN your going have to ask for commission if both of our deals go through.......

10. willranless

willranless
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Dana1 @ Dec 28 2010, 09:07 PM) [snapback]25187[/snapback]

RANMAN your going have to ask for commission if both of our deals go through.......

Ha Ha Ha. I assure you I have no connection whatsoever to this company. It's just one of many that send me catalogs every year.

11. gsbogart

gsbogart
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RanMan @ Jan 1 2011, 12:37 PM) [snapback]25225[/snapback]

Ha Ha Ha. I assure you I have no connection whatsoever to this company. It's just one of many that send me catalogs every year.

I ordered one of these meters and sockets. It was done during the Christmas New Year holiday. I got the invoice yesterday, and found an up charge of $13.98 for shipping which was not on the final after giving my mailing address, credit card etc.

Be aware that some of their prices include shipping, but some do not. Their website is a little misleading.
    I contacted the company, and they said basically to return if I didn't like the shipping charge.

12. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

One added thing to think about here. The campground we manage just added site meters for all sites. When someone checks out I have to walk to the site and get the meter reading so we can figure out their charges. I also have to go there and get a reading when they check in if we have had over nighters in that spot previously. I even had to get out of bed at 4 AM to read one since the man got done with his job earlier than expected and wanted an early start to head back home. It isn't cheap but there is a computer program you can get that allows the readings to be taken from the office with the push of a button. Unfortunately the owners here aren't ready to spend that money right yet.