No Seniors Rv Park (55 And Under Only)

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by bestestes, Dec 17, 2010.

1. MCRANE

MCRANE
    Expand Collapse

Sure I see a lot of uneducated parents with RVs in campgrounds. We just let are kids run wild just to make people mad. This is the reason I support 55 and older campgrounds, so I don't have to be next to grumpy old guys. Remember if we could pick are neighbors we would also have to find neighbors who would pick us.

2. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Looks like some of you under 55's can be pretty grumpy also. The whole idea is not to bother anybody else. Just common courtesy.

3. MCRANE

MCRANE
    Expand Collapse

I was laughing the whole time I wrote that. It just kills me how because the person next to them had kids that upset him, the name calling starts and it is ok to call them uneducated. Maybe they were, but maybe they were a family just having a good time. It is the I'm better than you and I have my right not to have anyone different than me in the park. The post that started the whole thing talked about how seniors would like it if someone started a campground that was 55 and under. Some how it is OK to bash kids and families. I personally don't have a problem with anyone next to me that is friendly. I also have no problem with 55 plus parks just the people who act like kids are so bad and they are so great. It is not uncommon for us to have seniors next to us that argue loudly. Would it be fair if I said I don't like to see seniors park next to me. I would be the first to say I was in the wrong. Your right that it is all about having fun, but if you can't handle having different people around you why do you leave your house?

4. kcmoedoe

kcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(MCRANE @ Jun 15 2011, 05:45 PM) [snapback]26471[/snapback]

I was laughing the whole time I wrote that. It just kills me how because the person next to them had kids that upset him, the name calling starts and it is ok to call them uneducated. Maybe they were, but maybe they were a family just having a good time. It is the I'm better than you and I have my right not to have anyone different than me in the park. The post that started the whole thing talked about how seniors would like it if someone started a campground that was 55 and under. Some how it is OK to bash kids and families. I personally don't have a problem with anyone next to me that is friendly. I also have no problem with 55 plus parks just the people who act like kids are so bad and they are so great. It is not uncommon for us to have seniors next to us that argue loudly. Would it be fair if I said I don't like to see seniors park next to me. I would be the first to say I was in the wrong. Your right that it is all about having fun, but if you can't handle having different people around you why do you leave your house?

The issue is some people's idea of fun differs from others. I don't have a problem with people having a good time, but kids screaming at the top of their lungs at midnight while the family has a raging bonfire is fun for them, but not for the people who also paid good money for a place to call home. That is why there are different kinds of parks that have different policies and amenities. They are trying to attract a niche. It is the same reason McDonalds doesn't offer gourmet dining and 5 star restaurants don't have playgrounds. I don't think people are bashing families and kids in general, but they are bashing families and kids that do not behave in a manner that is appropriate for the type of park they have chosen to stay at. There are plenty of resources available to make an informed decision regarding a park. This site is one, the park's website is another, the travel guidebooks a third. Then you can also contact the park as see what the lay of the land is. For example, if a park advertises it is a convenient, quiet, overnight stop with easy off and on from the interstate, you probably shouldn't plan on staying there for your family reunion. It is trying to attract people who want to stop traveling for the night and get some sleep before resuming their travels. Loud parties into the night would not be appropriate. On the other hand, if you stay at a park that advertises it is a one stop place to entertain your children with clowns, waterparks, playgrounds, gamerooms, amusement rides etc, you should plan on a lot of noise and a lot of children playing, It would not be a place to stop for a few hours of silent rest. With all the resources at your fingertips, If you choose to stay at a park that operates differently than you desire, that is really your problem, not the problem of everyone else in the park.

5. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(MCRANE @ Jun 15 2011, 04:45 PM) [snapback]26471[/snapback]

I like your attitude, in life we have to be flexible and understanding , your freedom is limited to some body else’ rights, however, this forum discussion did generate first because a lady pretended to go into an RV park which was limiting two persons per unit with, If I remember, 7 kids and was complaining because the camp administration charged her so much per extra person.
    I don’t know the full story, however, if the agreement was for two, I had no quarrel for the camp site to charge extra.
    From the top issue we expanded to campground for people starting from the age of 65 and over and I agreed with the complainant that children should not be admissible there not because is an undesired population but being young they have certain requirements that may annoy the elders.
    There are children that could be accepted notwithstanding the age because are well behaved but there are others that are very wild and the family don’t give a hood whether they are disturbing the neighbors or not.
    Having considered the above, you cannot allow certain people and not others, that would be a discrimination, therefore, the camp administration would prevent these unpleasant situations by limiting the access to the people age specified in the add.
    I don’t mind having children around but there was one occasion that I had to file a complaint to the administration because they were invading my space, taking my things, being impolite and when I reported the facts to the family the only answer I had ..HOO THEY ARE CHILDREN .

6. MCRANE

MCRANE
    Expand Collapse

I got it going now.lol. I understant everything you are saying. I have worked security in a park that was mostly seniors. The point I am beating into the ground is that I keep hearing "this one time,,,,,," over and over again. For every story about a family that was misbehaving I can tell you stories of seniors misbehaving. The last "resort" I worked in had 2 families in it and I have never seen the polcie in any campground more. Most were damestic violence and alcohal. Every time somthing broke you would here "children must have broke it", but there was no children there. Most of my friends are seniors so don't think I am putting all seniors down. It is actually a verry small bunch. We will all be there someday, just like most of you were all parents, and all of you were kids once. We all paid good money for our spot in any RV park so don't go looking for a problem if there is none.

7. MCRANE

MCRANE
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Galli @ Jun 15 2011, 09:50 PM) [snapback]26476[/snapback]

I don’t mind having children around but there was one occasion that I had to file a complaint to the administration because they were invading my space, taking my things, being impolite and when I reported the facts to the family the only answer I had ..HOO THEY ARE CHILDREN .

And yes, When I was working security I would have ran that family out just like we ran out the old guy who wouldn't stop taking his clothes off and running thru the park.lol :D

8. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

That was you who ran me off?

9. MCRANE

MCRANE
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Jun 15 2011, 10:49 PM) [snapback]26479[/snapback]

That was you who ran me off?

Sory about that......

10. Cape Codger

Cape Codger
    Expand Collapse

Personally, I have no qualms of children in a 55+ park. I am well over 55 and have only found one park and that was in Old Orchard Beach ME that would not allow children at all. And that was because a few (as usual) ruined it for everybody.
    Otherwise all of the parks 55+ we stay at coast to coast will allow children for a max of two weeks at least. What I do hate is the charges for grand children. I was at a park in Williamsburg VA that I pulled into at 7:45 at night with three of my grand children for a 8 appointment at William and Mary the next morning. They had the gall to charge me $10 resort fee even though everything is closed and locked at 8:00 PM. Then because they were not my children they were charged as guests and the bill came to over $91 for one nights parking.
    Now when my Grand Daughter starts William and Mary next year Grandma and Grandpa will not be staying there for the next fours years during visits and when the home office asks me to renew my card I will refer them to this campground.

11. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

In Florida where we live many, many of the parks are over 55 and do not allow children in at all. The bread and butter of these parks are the retired snowbirds who come and stay 4 or 5 months during the winter. We stay at lots of these parks on a nightly basis. I fully understand the need for them and park owners make the choice based on what they think will make them the most successful. Plenty of room for both sides.

12. MCRANE

MCRANE
    Expand Collapse

The funny thing about the 55+ parks in Florida that I have found, the annuals complain that it is thier park and the seasonals don't belong. The seasonals complain about the over nighters and how they don't belong. And everyone compaines about the rallies coming in and how they don't belong. Eveyone paid good money for there spot and feels they are right. I wonder how many of them really don' t have a love for RVing and really wish they could afford a condo as a second home with a HOA. Now what really makes them mad is when a dumb southerner with kids like me comes rolling in. lol

13. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(MCRANE @ Jun 16 2011, 07:55 PM) [snapback]26496[/snapback]

The funny thing about the 55+ parks in Florida that I have found, the annuals complain that it is thier park and the seasonals don't belong. The seasonals complain about the over nighters and how they don't belong. And everyone compaines about the rallies coming in and how they don't belong. Eveyone paid good money for there spot and feels they are right. I wonder how many of them really don' t have a love for RVing and really wish they could afford a condo as a second home with a HOA. Now what really makes them mad is when a dumb southerner with kids like me comes rolling in. lol

Noop, in general people whose spends the winter months in campsites are financially stable or, at least, don’t have problems in supporting themselves month by month, :D they are retired with pension or with money away or they could not afford the camp, the motor home or trailer and the financial need to support themselves there for several months. :lol:
    The point you issued is an other, namely, that camp is ***THEIR CAM*** and they fill entitled to know life and financial status of every one around :ph34r: and if you allow a new face to come in as a group or week-ender, they are not part of the family, they might belong to a different political group or, worst than that, they belong to a different religion. :eek:
    How can you make a conversation with some one without knowing all above, tell me, if you hate Bush and that new person is a Republican !!!!! Or, you are (Druid religion) and entertain a conversation with that guy who’s secularist, :blink: what’s going to happen, first embarrassment and second at night he or she may come to slash your trailer’s tires. :eek:
    You don’t know all these thing and let me talk berceuse I am retired, I am spending my winters in Florida and I have written down the name, the political affiliation, religion of every single one at my comp he, he, he. :D
    Notwithstanding all above, it is better this than being at the office for 8 hours a day and to having to smile to your boss even if you hate it. HE, HE, HE.

14. MCRANE

MCRANE
    Expand Collapse

:eek: WOW,,,,and see a dumb southerner like me didn't even know it went that deep......I guess with my kids I didn't get to that part of the interview :D

15. MCRANE

MCRANE
    Expand Collapse

Ok let me ask a question and please feel free for everyone to answer it . As a parent who loves Rving with 4 kids who love it, and want to do the right thing. The biggest reason I have read why 55+ RVers don't want kids camping around them is at least one time they had to deal with kids who did not respect them. This is correct, right? Now how as a parent am I suppose to teach my kids to respect you if, you don't respect us enough to want us in your park? :unsure:

16. Cape Codger

Cape Codger
    Expand Collapse

First let me say that in forty plus years of camping that usually misbehaving children most often have misbehaving parents so just ignore if you can.
    Being Grandparents we enjoy seeing young ones having a good time, it reminds us of when our children were young.
    Next, we have a love hate relationship with 55+ parks or any park that has perm. homes and such. We try to avoid them at all costs as others have said in their posts. Give us real campers who cook and live outside and enjoy the flowers. If I want somebody complaining about kids and how precious their lawn is I could stay at home and listen to the neighbors gripe about kids.
    As I try to remind others at some of these 55+ campgrounds, your children and grandchildren wont remember how great your lawn was. They will remember though what you did with them and where you took them.

17. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

It is all about kids being kids and doing things that disturb others. The kids are just doing what comes naturally and we adults are just wanting to do what we want to do. There is no big conspiracy either way. Over 55 is a legally protected group and kids are not. If over 55 parks start breaking their rules, they can lose their status.
    Many times, you will have "groups" within long term parks that with little else productive to do will start manufacturing problems for entertainment purposes. We camp in over 55 parks all the time when in Florida and don't have any problems. It is all about respecting others rights. We were stopped several nights ago on the North Shore of Lk Superior and a man with a dog on a leash allowed his dog to poop right in front of our neighbors site while he looked away (no way he didn't know). The neighbor waited a while and then went and picked it up. Had this happened to me I am afraid, I would have done the same thing, but put it on the offenders camper steps.

18. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

It is all about kids being kids and doing things that disturb others. The kids are just doing what comes naturally and we adults are just wanting to do what we want to do.

This statement should end this thread. Children are disruptive. They should be, they have to be. They have unlimited energy and have to move to burn it. They are small with squeaky voices so they have to yell to be heard. They forget that you should not slam doors and you certainly cannot expect them to swim gracefully and sedately in a pool.

Seniors are cliquish, gossipy, grumpy and set in our ways. We hurt from the minute we get up in the morning until we go to bed tired at 10 pm. We hate getting old and lots of activity around us makes us jealous and nervous. We like our lives to be sedate and routine because it is easier for us to manage that way. We worked hard for our money and when we spend it we want what we bought to be exactly as we thought it would be. We love our grandkids but love to send them home when the visit is over.

Parents forget that their children are not precious to anyone else just as we seniors forget that our little yappy dogs are not cute to anyone else. We typically avoid "family friendly" parks because we are not foolish enough to think we will fit into a group of younger parents and their children.

19. MCRANE

MCRANE
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Cape Codger @ Jun 17 2011, 10:24 AM) [snapback]26502[/snapback]

As I try to remind others at some of these 55+ campgrounds, your children and grandchildren wont remember how great your lawn was. They will remember though what you did with them and where you took them.

That is one of the smartest things I have heard so far!
    Oh and today is my 35th birthday so only 20 more years and I can flip sides. :D

20. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(MCRANE @ Jun 16 2011, 09:46 PM) [snapback]26499[/snapback]

Ok let me ask a question and please feel free for everyone to answer it . As a parent who loves Rving with 4 kids who love it, and want to do the right thing. The biggest reason I have read why 55+ RVers don't want kids camping around them is at least one time they had to deal with kids who did not respect them. This is correct, right? Now how as a parent am I suppose to teach my kids to respect you if, you don't respect us enough to want us in your park? :unsure:

Very good, your morality is perfect, love your neighbor and he/she will love you back, unfortunately in the real life the things work in a different way, you have to understand, the camps, in general, are there to make money and if you do have a camp geared on 55 + plus it means that the people there are all retired and if not retired are people in a financial position to spend 2 – 3 - 4 or.. months on the place and that means money for the camp.
    If they start to bend the rules by letting in the general public, the winter “snow birds” will not be happy and will spend their money in different place the following year.
    Now, let’s make a calculation, you and when I am saying you I mean nice family that have well educated children with the right to have a vacations, however, you will spend about a 1,000 or 1,500 dollars for your vacation at the camp when each unit of the old people may spend for sure 3 or 4 or 5,000 dollars per season.
    Now I understand and I know that’s not fair but business is business.
    Furthermore, I don’t think it is a discrimination as long as they advertise the condition for being accepted into the camp.
    I am sorry but I cannot criticize the camp administration for their behaviors