No Seniors Rv Park (55 And Under Only)

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by bestestes, Dec 17, 2010.

1. JDRobar

JDRobar
    Expand Collapse

I personally don't have a problem with kids :) ....I'm pretty tolerant, yet bold enough to visit the parents if need be, although some times it takes me a while to get worked up to that point. :angry:

For that reason I do understand how some folks don't want to be bothered.

Conversly, I understand how MCRANE feels that it's a shame their kids are blocked from some camp grounds, as it sounds like MCRANE is a responsible person. It's too bad some parents aren't more receptive to comments about their kids. Let's face it, it is NOT the kids' fault :rolleyes:. It's how they were brought up.

2. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(JDRobar @ Jun 18 2011, 06:11 PM) [snapback]26522[/snapback]

I personally don't have a problem with kids :) ....I'm pretty tolerant, yet bold enough to visit the parents if need be, although some times it takes me a while to get worked up to that point. :angry:

For that reason I do understand how some folks don't want to be bothered.

Conversly, I understand how MCRANE feels that it's a shame their kids are blocked from some camp grounds, as it sounds like MCRANE is a responsible person. It's too bad some parents aren't more receptive to comments about their kids. Let's face it, it is NOT the kids' fault :rolleyes:. It's how they were brought up.

I have to agree with you, don't blame the kids, blame the parents.
    Unfortunately you cannot find out in advance the kids' behavior and the parents unrolling, therefore, the only alternative is to keep them out in the first place, it might be discrimination but it is also a discrimination if you had paid to have quietness and being stuck with the world war.

3. MCRANE

MCRANE
    Expand Collapse

Galli, I thank you for the nice words. I just want to dissagree with your math a little. We full time so not counting us, let me tell you what I have seen in Florida long term parks. I worked in a campground that was a RV golf resort in Florida. We had seasonals that came for 6 months usally. They paid around $2600 for 6 months and $3600 for anual. over nighters paid $40 a night. for the same return you only have to book 65 night instead of 6 months and 90 nights for a year. now what do you get in return? The seasonals expect entertainment,WIFI,other amenities for long term stays. Most of them have a activties cordinator that comes out of your budget, cost of use to your buildings, upkeep, cooling, heating ect. Most seniors even if they have money didn't like to part with it for anything. So if you charged more than last year for anything people were mad and swor they wouldn't be back next year. Because they were loyal customeres they expected a discount. Now overnighters came in never complained about prices, didn't use the buildings much. Came with the intent to spend money on what ever you have to sell them. Now I understand the need for seasonals and want everyone to come and have a great time. The park I was at wasn't a "55 plus park" but might as well have been. The owners see how the times have changed and are tring to bring in more families but it is hard when the rest of your clients make it known that they don't want families and do everything they can to be nasty and run them out. Just like everyone hear has agreed on it's up to the owners to have a 55 plus park or not. Try telling a senior who has been coming there for a few years and tells you this is our park.
    My opinion has always been it is up to the owner what kind of park they want. And I never said except for joking I wanted to be let into your parks. Believe me, I wont ever put my kids in a situation like that again.
    The only thing that makes me mad about any of it is when seniors try to sound all high and mighty about the whole thing. Like their rig is better, or there're cleaner people that don't cause any trouble. We all have a right to RV if we can aford to. If a park owner lets families in you don't have a right to make their life hell. Realize that you can just as easily be ruining someone elses vacation just like you are complaining that kids ruined yours that one time you remember.

4. JDRobar

JDRobar
    Expand Collapse

Some of us over 55 people are pretty snooty :angry: , that's for sure. Ain't nothin' worse than having to deal with a self-righteous person politely, no matter what the age; but, just like bad news, bad manners don't seem to get better with age. I like to think of it as it's own reward when I have to deal with people like that.

Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds' to be.

Then again, if Parks were trying to keep the kids out by defining them as under 55, whoo-boy, did they miss the mark on that one! I STILL feel like a 12 year old trapped in a 60 year old body - fortunately - I don't always act that way. :rolleyes:

Here's to all having a good experience when RVing, no matter what age they are ! ;)

5. MCRANE

MCRANE
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(JDRobar @ Jun 19 2011, 05:04 PM) [snapback]26535[/snapback]

Some of us over 55 people are pretty snooty :angry: , that's for sure. Ain't nothin' worse than having to deal with a self-righteous person politely, no matter what the age; but, just like bad news, bad manners don't seem to get better with age. I like to think of it as it's own reward when I have to deal with people like that.

Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds' to be.

Then again, if Parks were trying to keep the kids out by defining them as under 55, whoo-boy, did they miss the mark on that one! I STILL feel like a 12 year old trapped in a 60 year old body - fortunately - I don't always act that way. :rolleyes:

Here's to all having a good experience when RVing, no matter what age they are ! ;)

Thanks, I'm sure if we were camped next to each other we would get along great.Now that I have carple tunnel :D I feel like I have said all I have to say about the subject for now. I'm gonna keep my morals and treat my neibors the way I want them to treat me. If that isn't good enough for other people, We are in a 45' 2010 KZ inferno toy hauler with blue stripes. Since I'm not in a 55+ park, if you are booked next to me and your gonna prejudge my family, Do us both a favor and ask the office if you can get a different spot. :p

6. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(doubleaxlefifthwheel @ Mar 13 2012, 10:49 AM) [snapback]29028[/snapback]

Interesting topic! A lot of 55+ resorts and those who aren't but operate as if they are will tell you that you better put a deposit and get booked because they fill up during the winter and you will be out of luck. L.O.L. There might still be some that do actually fill up but there are far more that haven't been over the past couple years. As this recession/ depression or what ever you want to call it drags on I see more and more seniors cutting their stays shorter and as fuel prices rise more head back home sooner. If this continues I don't see how it can be good for those who have hung their hats on the 55+ crowd. Perhaps that is why some are giving to tolerating families for no more than 14 days etc. I have seen more and more families home schooling and traveling with their kids. It will be interesting to see if these hard times continue on for a few years how many of these 55+ resorts will humble themselves and reach out to the younger travelers or choose the other option which will be closing their doors.

Interesting your point of view but, as you mention it depends of the place that you are planning to go, I shall give you an example, it is my 7th. Winter in Florida in a Specific campground and yes I agree with you, there are available spaces during winter but, if you want a specific place, you have to book it in advance.
    I have a fishing boat and in order to keep it in the water without having to take it in and out every times I use it, I have to have a lot that confines with the water; I know that there are other persons that are using the public hygienic facilities and if the place available is on the other site of the resort…. , however, if you wait till last minute, you might have a choice to decide in a minute notice while booking in advance you may not be satisfied to having chosen that place.

7. togators

togators
    Expand Collapse

I have been reading this tread because I am in my mid 30's with a child and I enjoy seeing both opinions on this matter (and a few that are in the middle). The last entry mentioned that you must reserve in advance in order to get a specific spot. We are regressing from the original topic but I do have a view on that. Each park should have a limit on how much in advance you can make a reservation and how long you can stay on that specific spot. I realize some rv parks do but recently, especially with bad ecomomy, most don't. The same rigs are in the same spot year after year. I understand that you develop a community while in Florida, but what about the working guy that only has the weekend off that wants to have his boat behind his rig. I am willing to book in advance, and pay a premium but the same people renew the same spots usually before they go home for the summer. We never have the opportunity to make that reservation. I do not know the answer to this problem (maybe allow reservation only 6 month in advance, which I know some do). Sorry for the lenght but as you can see, It gets frustrating trying to rv during the winter for me.

8. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

Most likely those campgrounds that allow people to reserve the same spot each year just want that spot rented. It is better to know that you have a certain spot rented for the season than to leave it open just in case someone comes along and might want it for a week end or even a week. They see the reservation as money in their pocket and an open site as "maybe" money.

9. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(dalsgal @ Mar 14 2012, 02:28 PM) [snapback]29042[/snapback]

Most likely those campgrounds that allow people to reserve the same spot each year just want that spot rented. It is better to know that you have a certain spot rented for the season than to leave it open just in case someone comes along and might want it for a week end or even a week. They see the reservation as money in their pocket and an open site as "maybe" money.

Unfortunately it is always the money talking, it is not fair but, booking in advance it mean for the full season, winter season which means at least 3 to 4 months and the camp administration will give the priority to those people than the week enders.
    I am paying $ 2,700 for 4 months and I insist to have a specific spot, if not granted, they are going to loose me.
    I know that it is not fair but we are living in a capitalistic environment and more they are earning more privileges are given.
    Don’t feel too bad, if we have this privileges is because we have time in our hand and if we do have time it means that we are old and been old , according to logic we will die first he, he, he.

10. kcmoedoe

kcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(togators @ Mar 14 2012, 10:13 AM) [snapback]29038[/snapback]

I have been reading this tread because I am in my mid 30's with a child and I enjoy seeing both opinions on this matter (and a few that are in the middle). The last entry mentioned that you must reserve in advance in order to get a specific spot. We are regressing from the original topic but I do have a view on that. Each park should have a limit on how much in advance you can make a reservation and how long you can stay on that specific spot. I realize some rv parks do but recently, especially with bad ecomomy, most don't. The same rigs are in the same spot year after year. I understand that you develop a community while in Florida, but what about the working guy that only has the weekend off that wants to have his boat behind his rig. I am willing to book in advance, and pay a premium but the same people renew the same spots usually before they go home for the summer. We never have the opportunity to make that reservation. I do not know the answer to this problem (maybe allow reservation only 6 month in advance, which I know some do). Sorry for the lenght but as you can see, It gets frustrating trying to rv during the winter for me.

To an RV park, a site is nothing but a piece of inventory. Same as a loaf of bread at Walmart. If someone is willing to buy that site, they sell it. They would be foolish to turn down a sale and hope that someone else will come and buy it at a later date. You go to the RV park to enjoy and have a good time. They open to make money. It is just a different perspective. You would be happier with a better site and if the park loses a few days of rental on that site, you would be fine. The park would be happier to not lose those days of rental even if they lose you as a customer.

11. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(togators @ Mar 14 2012, 09:13 AM) [snapback]29038[/snapback]

We winter in FL at our stick and brick. If we want a weekend outing with the motorhome we have to go to north FL, AL, or MS. Snowbirds will reserve and stay in all of the warm weather good locations. There are some walk ups at FL state parks, but we are not really hope for a spot people so we have some of the same issues you do. In the summer we visit grandkids who live in short camping season areas. There, a lot of parks have gone to marketing themselves as seasonal parks. With fuel costs rising, seasonal spots have become very popular in those areas. We just had an rv park call and cancel our reservations for the month of July (made last fall) as they have decided to rent only to seasonals. Seasonals and snowbirds with yearly reservations are a way for a business to guarantee cash flow. They depend on cash flow to pay their expenses and feed their families. It would not make sense to expect a campground to turn this income away just to satisfy transients. Even though expensive, we are thinking we may have to pay for a whole season at two different campgrounds in two different states if we want to visit the grandkids for more than a couple days at a time.

12. Alessandro

Alessandro
    Expand Collapse

This year we spent 2 nights at the RV resort of Ruby's Inn at Bryce. Then on the first afternoon 2 huge coaches arrived, loaded with teenagers and some adults of course. They set up camp just 200 yards away from us. They had a lot of fun setting up the tents. Then it became dark and they all had lights and again: fun, fun, fun! When people have fun, it is mostly nice to look at. Then it was about 10.00 p.m. and they all turned quiet! Hardly a sound! In the morning they broke up again, not disturbing anyone.

Kids are not always a pain in the ***. One yelling kid can be more a nuisance than 20 nice ones.

13. TXBobcat

TXBobcat
    Expand Collapse

Also there is the point that some people will come in with not only their children but a number of their friends making it a free for all. You have seen it when two or three family's come in togeather and stay in one site. It strains the facilities and the others around them.

We have just arrived at one campground that advertises a fee for a couple and one for a family. That to me is reasonable.

FWIW
    BC

14. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(TXBobcat @ Sep 12 2012, 08:35 PM) [snapback]31111[/snapback]

Also there is the point that some people will come in with not only their children but a number of their friends making it a free for all. You have seen it when two or three family's come in togeather and stay in one site. It strains the facilities and the others around them.

We have just arrived at one campground that advertises a fee for a couple and one for a family. That to me is reasonable.

FWIW
    BC

Hi TXBOBCAT, fortunately where I am going every Winter, the administration is quite efficient , they don't mind if you have a visitor or two by one or two nights but when the place is becoming a small village, they break it up. As a matter of fact, upon assigning the place an ID tag is being issued to put on the car and every car without ID is going to be questioned .
    I am not resenting the happy people thatt enjoy their vacations, but after midnight I hate to have noisy drank people around vomiting … etc .

15. 7ramblingkids

7ramblingkids
    Expand Collapse

We too run into some of the same problems with our tribe - 7 kids, and 2 dogs and we always laugh and say, "there's always Walmart".

I like to think our kids are well behaved but I think that depends on the people they are around.

We have found that boon docking suits us best, and it is much easier on the budget. We stayed in an over 50 campground once, where my parents stay (my mom vouched for us), and we all had a great time. My parents friends had a wonderful time with our kids and our kids left there with a very full love bucket but our money bucket was a lot less full because they charged extra for every person over the initial 2 people.

I understand the over 55 parks and respect that, but I do think it would be nice if a couple of them had a separate area that was family friendly. I know the feeling of being tired and just wanting to find a decent place to pull in for the night.

16. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(7ramblingkids @ Dec 3 2012, 11:04 PM) [snapback]32041[/snapback]
    I understand the over 55 parks and respect that, but I do think it would be nice if a couple of them had a separate area that was family friendly. I know the feeling of being tired and just wanting to find a decent place to pull in for the night.

I think the 55+ parks would run in to legal problems if they routinely rented sites to younger campers.

The 55+ designation is part of the Housing for Older Persons Act. If a park allows younger renters, they could lose their HOPA designation.

While it appears to this non-attorney that these geezer parks could have up to 20% of their residents in households without a member 55 or over, it's foolish for us amateurs to try to interpret the law.

17. MelBtraveln

MelBtraveln
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Denali @ Jun 4 2011, 05:13 PM) [snapback]26340[/snapback]

I have stayed in many 55+ parks like that, except that the oldest was in diapers, they sat in reclining lawn chairs, then went for rides on their three-wheelers.

Glad I didn't have to feed or clean them. :)

You made me laugh out loud! (Maybe I better check my diaper ... .)

18. tiffinman

tiffinman
    Expand Collapse

IMO....in Florida MOST of the public 55+ parks are really not..... there just run down seasonal pits and unattended park model. The seasonals are really not rv'ers....they just squat all winter then run north in the summer.

If you are serious about wintering in a true over 55 community.... there are alot of private.....over 55....class A only ....deeded communities throughout Florida. Most are great investments and a class act. They are located on either coast or central Florida