Taking A Poll

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by rv1, Mar 1, 2011.

1. rv1

rv1
    Expand Collapse

How many people carry a firearm in their rv? Been telling the wife lots of people have a gun on board just in case a problem comes up and before people start going off I know as a last resort but sometimes people or animals leave you no choice.

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

NO, only a heavy copper power cable. This item stays near the door. :rolleyes:

3. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

I think if you do the research you will find the percentage of people in rvs with firearms will be about the same as those with firearms in their homes/cars. IMO, there would be no additional reason to have a firearm in an rv than in your stick and brick. It is also prudent to remember, IMO, that anything posted here stays on the internet forever (just google your forum user name). A clever person could match your answer with a person and have the information you just published. Whether I carry weapons or not is not really something I would wish to broadcast - your mileage may vary.

4. fpullanosr

fpullanosr
    Expand Collapse

My experiance is that 75-80% of RVers carry a firearm.

5. kcmoedoe

kcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

I have them at my home, but never carry one in the RV. There are too many jurisdictions across the country where the mere possession of a sidearm could be a truly severe problem. At home I am aware of what noises exist, what is normal and what is not. In an RV everything changes every day. I feel that makes having a firearm more dangerous. The actual chances of using a firearm to prevent a serious crime or a serious animal attack is almost zero especially in unfamiliar surroundings. Not worth the risk to me.

6. rv1

rv1
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(joez @ Mar 1 2011, 10:11 PM) [snapback]25539[/snapback]

I think if you do the research you will find the percentage of people in rvs with firearms will be about the same as those with firearms in their homes/cars. IMO, there would be no additional reason to have a firearm in an rv than in your stick and brick. It is also prudent to remember, IMO, that anything posted here stays on the internet forever (just google your forum user name). A clever person could match your answer with a person and have the information you just published. Whether I carry weapons or not is not really something I would wish to broadcast - your mileage may vary.

I do know about the net thanks but i never said I have one or not just taking a poll I guess if a person wants to find out if I do try to brake in to my rv

7. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I have a Mossburg 500 12 gauge shotgun with an 18" barrel and a pistol grip in the bedroom of the motor home with very easy access. I also have a Kel-Tec 380 Auto for my truck (toad) which is small and fits within my hand, It is also used as a second weapon by many cops (Where I got mine used.) I has a 5 shot clip and I have two. In hundreds of nights, I have never felt like we needed them, but it was nice to know. I have a concealed carry permit that is valid in about 30 states. The first time we ever stayed at Wal-Mart, I got out the shotgun and laid it by the bed. The next morning when I counted 6 other RV's in the parking lot, I realized it wasn't necessary.
    I would recommend that if you decide to carry a weapon at least take your wife to the range to get her comfortable with shooting it. Also decide on a safe place to shoot it in the floor to scare off an intruder.

8. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Mar 2 2011, 08:24 PM) [snapback]25548[/snapback]

...decide on a safe place to shoot it in the floor to scare off an intruder...

Intersting thread.
    Safest place: out an open door, window or ceiling vent. Relatively easy to rescreen.

Something else one must anticipate.
    Ever fired something inside a small space? Be prepared for everyone (including pets) to be painfully deaf for a bit.

DH packs a large revolver from another era. I'm much more comfortable with the 12-gauge. Never had to use either while in the rig.
    Have had great fun target practicing at various shooting ranges and privately owned boonies over the years. B)

All get packed in a safe (with family) when we head for Canadian points of destination. So in those cases, we are 'armed' with a ball bat and mace. Feeling lucky?

9. zthatzmanz28

zthatzmanz28
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(rv1 @ Mar 1 2011, 09:05 PM) [snapback]25535[/snapback]

How many people carry a firearm in their rv? Been telling the wife lots of people have a gun on board just in case a problem comes up and before people start going off I know as a last resort but sometimes people or animals leave you no choice.

Carry one whenever we travel.

10. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(kcmoedoe @ Mar 1 2011, 09:07 PM) [snapback]25541[/snapback]

There are too many jurisdictions across the country where the mere possession of a sidearm could be a truly severe problem.

About 2/3 of the states honor each other's conceal carry permits. Generally, it is those states that don't allow concealed carry that would present the problem. But this brings up an interesting question. If it is the RV is it a concealed status or is it just "in the house."

I would respectfully suggest that anyone who is going to have a handgun in the rig to get a CCP. There is a safety and training component if nothing else.

11. NorthernIllinoisPlumber

NorthernIllinoisPlumber
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RLM @ Mar 5 2011, 02:20 PM) [snapback]25574[/snapback]

About 2/3 of the states honor each other's conceal carry permits. Generally, it is those states that don't allow concealed carry that would present the problem. But this brings up an interesting question. If it is the RV is it a concealed status or is it just "in the house."

I would respectfully suggest that anyone who is going to have a handgun in the rig to get a CCP. There is a safety and training component if nothing else.

While camping in a tent, rv, pop-up, shed, or hotel room any area you may legally call your "home" the Supreme Court has determined a right to privacy under the 4th Amendment.

Its "in the house."

12. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(FosterImposters @ Mar 3 2011, 11:35 PM) [snapback]25556[/snapback]

[/i]

Intersting thread.
    Safest place: out an open door, window or ceiling vent. Relatively easy to rescreen.

Something else one must anticipate.
    Ever fired something inside a small space? Be prepared for everyone (including pets) to be painfully deaf for a bit.

DH packs a large revolver from another era. I'm much more comfortable with the 12-gauge. Never had to use either while in the rig.
    Have had great fun target practicing at various shooting ranges and privately owned boonies over the years. B)

All get packed in a safe (with family) when we head for Canadian points of destination. So in those cases, we are 'armed' with a ball bat and mace. Feeling lucky?

13. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Butch @ Mar 8 2011, 08:01 AM) [snapback]25593[/snapback]

I thought "mace...pepper spray, etc", were banned in Canada ????

Pepper spray etc is very legal in Canada. Up here we use it on bears though.

14. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(JDOLLEN @ Mar 9 2011, 06:43 AM) [snapback]25598[/snapback]

Pepper spray etc is very legal in Canada. Up here we use it on bears though.

You might know that people hiking in the forests are encouraged to wear little bells on them to warn bears about their presence, as bears might attack if they are surprised. Pepper spray is supposed to be used as last defense. In outdoor education people are also taught the difference between black bear and grizzly scat, as it might come in handy to identify the kind of bear in the area. Black bear scat has lots of seeds from wild berries in it, grizzly scat has shreds of textiles and small bells in it and smells like pepper.

15. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(wprigge @ Mar 9 2011, 09:06 AM) [snapback]25599[/snapback]

Black bear scat has lots of seeds from wild berries in it, grizzly scat has shreds of textiles and small bells in it and smells like pepper.

Good one. :lol:

16. hahnderosa

hahnderosa
    Expand Collapse

A trucker friend gave us a great tip... carry a flare gun instead of a fire arm. It is legal everywhere, even Mexico and Canada. It can do some major damage to someone trying to harm you. It can be handy if you need help along the road.

Another good suggestion I have heard is that directional wasp spray will blind someone temporarily. Again, it has multiple uses - we have a can in every vehicle including the RV.

17. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(fpullanosr @ Mar 1 2011, 11:15 PM) [snapback]25540[/snapback]
    My experiance is that 75-80% of RVers carry a firearm.

I find it hard to believe that 75 or 80% of RVers came out and told you that they are carrying weapons.

18. Traveling man

Traveling man
    Expand Collapse

It's my experience that quite a few RVr's do have a weapon. It's a good idea if you do a lot of primitive camping, but make sure you practice, and are comfortable with whatever firearms you own.

When I was a reserve sheriff's deputy, our department required us to carry at all times, on or off duty, so I'm sure this influences my reasoning. A lot depends on your camping. At the K.O.A. in town you can more than likely get assistance quickly, but in the middle of nowhere you will be on your own. I've never had to use a weapon while camping, but want to be prepared as there are criminals, meth heads out there, even in isolated areas . In terms of animals I've had bears and other wild animals walk by my campsite while camping many miles from civilization. In all situations they have had no more desire to get close than I have.

A good combination might be a 12g shotgun,and a 22 semi-automatic handgun. The shotgun would be handy if threatened by more than one person. I know many would recommend more fire power than the 22 handgun, such as a 9mm. However with a little practice and a Browning target 22 pistol for example, you can group your shots quite accurately. Ammo is cheap, so you can have some fun targeting while improving your skill. Some states, such as Missouri, have a number of free practice ranges in national forests.

19. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

I have been full timing for 8 years and hadn't thought about being armed until now. I guess what I need to do is mount a quad 50 on the roof of the RV and a 106 recoiless on the truck firing WEP. In the RV I could use a M16 on auto and a 1897 Winchester pump with 00 Buck. Maybe I should have paid more attention when I watched the movie Tremors the last time. A few hand grenades might be useful too.

20. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

In reference to post #13, 14 & 15, I know, getting way off topic, but...

Why in the wild do they call it scat, sign, or droppings, but when it's from my dog in my own back yard (or in my closet), it's called something else (unprintable).