Taking A Poll

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by rv1, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(Fitzjohnfan @ Mar 16 2011, 02:32 PM) [snapback]25648[/snapback]

In reference to post #13, 14 & 15, I know, getting way off topic, but...

Why in the wild do they call it scat, sign, or droppings, but when it's from my dog in my own back yard (or in my closet), it's called something else (unprintable).

Could it be they used those terms for the same reason you called it "unprintable?" It would be crude to use the term you refer to.

2. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(nedmtnman @ Mar 15 2011, 06:49 AM) [snapback]25639[/snapback]

I have been full timing for 8 years and hadn't thought about being armed until now. I guess what I need to do is mount a quad 50 on the roof of the RV and a 106 recoiless on the truck firing WEP. In the RV I could use a M16 on auto and a 1897 Winchester pump with 00 Buck. Maybe I should have paid more attention when I watched the movie Tremors the last time. A few hand grenades might be useful too.

Quad 50s are really heavy. Will your roof support them?

The 106 is typically an anti-tank weapon. Perhaps it’s overkill, but then if you can afford it, why not?

If you are going to use a grenade, then may I suggest the standard Mark IIA1. A frag grenade might rib into the siding on your rig. Wouldn’t want that to happen.

I too kinda like the idea of an M16. You wouldn’t need the 1897 Winchester pump. I might suggest that you not load more than 15 or so rounds into the clip tho. On automatic, it is prone to jamming with more than that.

When you said WEP did you mean Willie Pete? The appropriate acronym for that is WP.

3. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    Ok, I think we are under 'dressed' for this party!

4. RV Camper1

RV Camper1
    Expand Collapse

We have only been traveling by RV since 1972 and fulltime since 2000 and in that time we have never needed a firearm for protection. But we do use some degree of common sense in choosing where we wish to spend the night.

As to whether or not I carry a firearm, I adhere to the policy of "don't ask and don't tell!"

5. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RLM @ Mar 16 2011, 07:04 PM) [snapback]25650[/snapback]

Quad 50s are really heavy. Will your roof support them?

The 106 is typically an anti-tank weapon. Perhaps it’s overkill, but then if you can afford it, why not?

If you are going to use a grenade, then may I suggest the standard Mark IIA1. A frag grenade might rib into the siding on your rig. Wouldn’t want that to happen.

I too kinda like the idea of an M16. You wouldn’t need the 1897 Winchester pump. I might suggest that you not load more than 15 or so rounds into the clip tho. On automatic, it is prone to jamming with more than that.

When you said WEP did you mean Willie Pete? The appropriate acronym for that is WP.

Oh yeah, I can make braces for support of the 50's on the roof.

I knew right after I put in WEP that I was wrong. Maybe I could make a mixture of WP and HEP. I was a squad leader on a 105 in the 60's. We fired mostly HEAT rounds but HEP and WP were available. Long time ago and the memory isn't what it used to be.

Actually I prefer an M1 carbine but it isn't auto. Maybe a BAR.

6. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Mar 2 2011, 09:24 PM) [snapback]25548[/snapback]
    Also decide on a safe place to shoot it in the floor to scare off an intruder.

Seriously? I have never been in a situation where I needed to use a firearm to defend myself or family, but everything I have read, and everyone I have talked to, have said that if you feel the need to pull out a gun and fire it, aim at the threat -- and fire it. If you don't think you are willing to do that, a baseball bat or pepper spray may be a better choice. Yes, verbally warning that you have a gun will hopefully solve the problem, but don't shoot to warn or scare. This is just what I've heard.

We don't carry firearms, mostly due to being unsure of different state laws. I have not been at a campground yet where I felt I wanted a firearm.

I have only met one or two people who made it known that they carry firearms in their campers. I have no idea the percentage of people who are armed while camping, but I find it hard to believe it would be 80% or even over 50%. Very possibly full-timers or more avid campers would have a higher percentage of carrying - is that where the 75 or 80% numbers are coming from?

Also, we are usually camping with kids -- who many times are going in and out of the campers. This is not a good situation to have firearms about, unless you are actually carrying them --- which can be interesting to do wearing a bathing suit and T-shirt.

Possibly in the future, when the kids have moved out and wife and I are traveling around, I may look into carrying while camping. But for now, nope.

Oh, and I do have a carry permit and shoot on a regular basis.

7. edcornflake

edcornflake
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(nedmtnman @ Mar 17 2011, 07:32 PM) [snapback]25656[/snapback]

Oh yeah, I can make braces for support of the 50's on the roof.

nedmtnman,
    When you're done with the mods to your rig, please post pics. I'd love to see your post apocalyptic RV!

8. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(edcornflake @ Mar 22 2011, 02:35 PM) [snapback]25694[/snapback]

nedmtnman,
    When you're done with the mods to your rig, please post pics. I'd love to see your post apocalyptic RV!

I will not advertise what the new mods look like. They will be camouflaged so they aren't conspicuous for the surprise factor.