New York,ny

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Jim Matchullis, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Jim Matchullis

Jim Matchullis
    Expand Collapse

We are planning to see New York,NY and would like advice of campgrounds near here and if any have shuttle or tours into New York.

2. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Ernest @ Mar 7 2011, 05:42 PM) [snapback]25588[/snapback]

We are planning to see New York,NY and would like advice of campgrounds near here and if any have shuttle or tours into New York.

Take a look at Liberty Harbor park located in Jersey City, N.J. Close to city via subway. Personally have not been there, but have heard decent reports, maybe what you are looking for.....

3. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Although I haven't been there, the Liberty Harbor park seems to be the best bet for those willing to use public transportation to get into Manhatten. A good 10+ years ago I stayed at the Newburg KOA (listed under Plattekill, NY) and took their NYC tour. According to their website, they still have the tours but they are quite expensive ($99/adult). Check out the reviews here for the KOA and from there you can check out parks south of Plattekill that would be even closer tho NYC. A park I looked at in Croton-on-Hudson souded interesting. Good Luck.

4. campinggirl1964

campinggirl1964
    Expand Collapse

We also stayed at the Newburgh KOA 6 years ago and took the one day tour which was awesome, however, it was a bit of a drive, and if you want to spend more than one day in NYC, you probably wouldn't want to be making that drive each time. We are looking at going to NYC again this year, if we do, we'll try Liberty Harbor - nothing to do there, but, can't beat the location if the purpose of the trip is to spend time in NYC. Enjoy!

5. RVingMama

RVingMama
    Expand Collapse

I live right outside NYC in Northern NJ. If you want to go into NYC every day, you should stay at Liberty Harbor. However, keep in mind I think it's basically a parking lot with hook ups. There's not much there. BUT, you are right across the river from NYC and it's very easy to get in to NYC.

If you have kids and want some activities, a pool, etc, you should stay at the KOA in Newburgh. It is a good hour drive to NYC from there. But, you can also explore the Catskill region of Upstate NY.

So, it just depends what you are looking for/need in a campground near NYC.

6. Charlene1971

Charlene1971
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jhswillis @ Mar 30 2011, 04:04 PM) [snapback]25738[/snapback]

I live right outside NYC in Northern NJ. If you want to go into NYC every day, you should stay at Liberty Harbor. However, keep in mind I think it's basically a parking lot with hook ups. There's not much there. BUT, you are right across the river from NYC and it's very easy to get in to NYC.

If you have kids and want some activities, a pool, etc, you should stay at the KOA in Newburgh. It is a good hour drive to NYC from there. But, you can also explore the Catskill region of Upstate NY.

So, it just depends what you are looking for/need in a campground near NYC.

jhswillis is right about it being a parking lot.

We stayed there about 2 year ago, and it's very convenient to walk to the Path train into city.

7. Travelin Sam

Travelin Sam
    Expand Collapse

I live on Long Island about thirty miles east of Manhattan. There is a campground on LI called Battlefield Row Campground in Old Bethpage, NY. I have never stayed there but went in to look at it and it seems pleasant - wooded setting and operated by the local county. The drive to NYC is about 45 minutes (depending upon traffic) or you can take the Long Island Railroad which runs day and night directly into NYC (Penn Station). This is not as close as Liberty Harbor which is just across the river but it is closer and easier than staying in campgrounds way north of NYC. Be aware that on Long Island the only limited access highway for an RV, trailer or large vehicle to take is I495 (East/West) - do not get on any road called "Parkway" in NYS.

Here is a RV review link.

8. VinnyP

VinnyP
    Expand Collapse

Croton Point Park in Croton on Hudson,NY might be a good choice. There is a Metro North station right outside of the campground. Only a 30 minute train ride to Grand Central.

9. campinggirl1964

campinggirl1964
    Expand Collapse

Ernest.....just wondering if you went to NYC yet, and if you did, where did you end up staying? I'm starting to think about a trip next year.

10. striker87

striker87
    Expand Collapse

Just stayed at Liberty Harbor. It was perfect for what we needed. It was like camping in the middle of they city, because it was exactly that. I was quiet and clean. I think the next closest park is 50 or 60 miles away also.

Location was the major Plus. I would definelty reccomend it.