Post Office Problems

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Florida Native, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

It is possible to go on line and have your mail held at the post office for up to 30 days. The procedure is fairly simple. We usually do it when we go on a trip of less than a month, we utilize this. I have had good service for years, but recently, my request has not been received. I carefully check it all out prior to sending it in. We got home yesterday and I went down to the post office to get my mail and they had none. We ended up with a full mailbox when we got home. This has recently happened also and I was just wondering if anybody else has had problems. I guess i will have to go down to the post office and do it there. When we go for more than a month, we have it forwarded to our daughter's house and that must be done at the post office.

2. stonybirch

stonybirch
    Expand Collapse

We have been doing something similar the past few years and never had a problem. But we have been home for 2 weeks and still not receiving any mail--just local junk mail. I always do my forwarding on line and things have went great, until now. Our mail seems to be in 'mail limbo' and the PO says there nothing they can do at this point! Our change of address went into effect about 10 days before our arrival home, so should have some mail by that time, but none was to be found! And it has never arrived at our former address either???? Where is the mail?? We tried a private mail service a few years back and what a fiasco that was.

3. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Apr 10 2011, 03:44 PM) [snapback]25807[/snapback]

I guess i will have to go down to the post office and do it there.

We have someone get our mail when we travel, so we have not experienced any trouble you described, but our neighbors are RVers also, and they say the post office will no longer accept the yellow form/card for holding mail. They say it has to be done online. But as I said this is not something we have personal knowledge of.

TX

4. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

We have never had a problem in all our years, but that may change if government runs out of money. We have a mail box at home and a PO Box for our business mail. We have put a white sheet of paper in home mail box to hold mail, we have ask lady a PO Box office to hold it for three to four months as we travel and never had any problems. I walk in the post office and before I get in the door she has our mail ready and ask how was your trip and what did you see this time. Home mail man will take the on hold mail to our front door and say, happy to see you again. I think this should be the correct way to work in our Post Office system. No problems with our system. :)

5. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I hate to say it, but my experience down at the Post Office the other day was not too encouraging. The lady wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. Maybe not even in the spoon drawer. They were totally confused. I know I did it on line correctly because I had the other problem and checked carefully. It took her about 10 minutes to find out what (carrier zone I was in). Hopefully I can do it down there next time. We live in the blue hair capital of the world and many people can't operate a TV remote. Holding mail online would be very hard. If you want to see where we went click below.
    My Webpage

6. Iceman567

Iceman567
    Expand Collapse

We've been gone for a month and a half now. We put in the yellow card before we left and had our daughter pick up the mail at the P/O. Put it into a pre-paid flat mail envelope and sent it to us. Worked fine the first time. The second time a clerk gave her a hard time.

We are slowly converting all of our bills to pay on-line or auto pay. I will be installing a locking mail box at home. The carrier can drop the mail in but you need a key to retrieve the mail from the locked box. Then our daughter can pick up the mail and send us the important stuff. No more forwarding, holding, etc. I know that this may not work for all but it's our solution.

We could also have the mail sent Fed-Ex or UPS and not even rely on the USPS.

7. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

We have our mail forwarded to our daughter who lives 65 miles away. The Post Office will do this for 6 months. Every few days, we call and our daughter goes through it. Almost all of it is trash as we pay mainly over the internet or direct deduction. We also have direct deposit on our income. The birthday card or letter from a friend is open and we decide what to do. Works well as we don't travel over 6 months. It is the less than 30 days that is our problem.

8. jan-n-john

jan-n-john
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(stonybirch @ Apr 10 2011, 06:12 PM) [snapback]25808[/snapback]

We tried a private mail service a few years back and what a fiasco that was.

9. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Wow. I used the "yellow card hold" during March and wasn't a problem. As for doing it online, you have to pay $1. And.... I keep reading that the Postal Service is running deficits, but the Post office at my area said stamps would remain at 44 cents, no increase. Surprising!

I just switched over to using a UPS store as I'm now a full-timer. So far, so good.

JJ

10. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ Apr 10 2011, 05:27 PM) [snapback]25812[/snapback]

I walk in the post office and before I get in the door she has our mail ready and ask how was your trip and what did you see this time. Home mail man will take the on hold mail to our front door and say, happy to see you again. I think this should be the correct way to work in our Post Office system. No problems with our system.

When one lives in and travels to Smalltowns, USA where there is only one PO, customer service with a smile is the norm. They will even give me a telephone number to a real person who can help with any issues.

11. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

We live in a small town, and have for my 71+ years, and our post office is staffed with a group, for about the last ten years, who has a lot to learn about custom service. They are the most arrogant self serving group I have ran up against. They all should look for another line of work. We have voiced our displeasure about our experiences in dealings with them. Just my two cents worth......

12. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Wait until they start handling your health care.

13. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RLM @ Apr 18 2011, 07:25 AM) [snapback]25900[/snapback]

When one lives in and travels to Smalltowns, USA where there is only one PO, customer service with a smile is the norm. They will even give me a telephone number to a real person who can help with any issues.

We live a small town, and have for my 71+ years, and our post office is staffed with a group, for about the last ten years, who has a lot to learn about custom service. They are the most arrogant self serving group I have ran up against.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The difference is that you live in Yankee Land. What did you expect? :D

14. JDRobar

JDRobar
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Apr 19 2011, 11:51 AM) [snapback]25905[/snapback]

Wait until they start handling your health care.

Ain't THAT the truth ! :(