Less People Camping.

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Wink, Apr 11, 2011.

1. KentuckyCampin

KentuckyCampin
    Expand Collapse

We "Had" reservations for a corps of engineers campground and due to the rain and high lake levels, our Memorial weekend campsite got canceled. That was at around 1pm today, I spent around 1.5 hours trying to find a state/federal/private campground within 100 miles for the weekend. No luck, booked solid. That is here in Kentucky. I dont think the gas prices are going to matter too much to people, as I know it is going to suck ($100 a pop to fill up my Silverado), but I dont care, I LOVE CAMPING :p So you know what, we will probably just suck it up and drive on!!!
    :angry:
    But it beats sitting at home, looking at my camper in the drive and wishing I was camping!!! Like Im probably gonna be doing this Memorial weekend!! :angry:

2. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Wink @ May 2 2011, 10:03 PM) [snapback]25994[/snapback]

That is no way to start a 4 month trip.I live right off I-95 and a lot of them are snow birds going home.By there tag`s on the RV`s

Well, two more blowouts in the next three days. Only 6,000 miles on the tires (fiver is only 1 1/2 years old)...who knows what's wrong but as Desi said to Lucy "...you got some 'splaining to do" when we get home and take it in for service. Bought five new tires (not an expense we had planned on) and the trip seems to be running on rails now. The parks seem to be as much filled as they were last year, so people do seem to be traveling. The 4-month has turned into a 6-month now. Snow today in New Mexico. Oh, well, we wanted to get away from the Florida heat....

3. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

How fast do you tow?

QUOTE(jamarynn1 @ May 19 2011, 08:15 PM) [snapback]26146[/snapback]

Well, two more blowouts in the next three days. Only 6,000 miles on the tires (fiver is only 1 1/2 years old)...who knows what's wrong but as Desi said to Lucy "...you got some 'splaining to do" when we get home and take it in for service. Bought five new tires (not an expense we had planned on) and the trip seems to be running on rails now. The parks seem to be as much filled as they were last year, so people do seem to be traveling. The 4-month has turned into a 6-month now. Snow today in New Mexico. Oh, well, we wanted to get away from the Florida heat....

4. araucanaman

araucanaman
    Expand Collapse

We NEVER stay at COE or State Campgrounds. Feel that our children should not be working and contributing to our travel expense. The Govn. can't balance their own checkbook so can't really say all of these places should be open, glad to see they are not full. We are finding that the same is true for the poor souls trying to contribute to the economy who own the little mom and pop campgrounds. Not a single one was full from FL to WI. Felt bad for them trying to make a living but glad we at least contributed one night to their hard work and efforts of making our overnight stays wonderful. Some wonderful campgrounds out there that are not going to continue to be in business if we do not support them.

5. araucanaman

araucanaman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(coacbcps @ May 5 2011, 03:50 PM) [snapback]26018[/snapback]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Why not try a nice privately owned campground, cleaner and more security. Am sure several would still have availabiltiy.

6. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ May 20 2011, 03:21 PM) [snapback]26153[/snapback]

Hi,

How fast do you tow?

55 tops. We just stick in the right lane and let the world pass us by. The campground will still be there even if we get there an hour later.

7. boogie

boogie
    Expand Collapse

We are definitely noticing a decrease in campers outside of our region.

8. JDRobar

JDRobar
    Expand Collapse

High gas prices are the pits. :angry:

If you have mifi and can look on-line while traveling, these sites will help in keep the pump from sucking your wallet dry. They allow you to look on-line for the cheapest price on fuel :)

http://gasbuddy.com/ It really helps to have the zip code on this one - you will see all station's prices in the immediate area on a map.

http://gasprices.mapquest.com/?area=national You can select any type of fuel on this one...including propane.

These sites rely on the public to update their info, and by registering & doing so I understand you can win prizes in the way of free fuel. If nothing else, it's a fun way to feel like you are getting back at those price gougers ;)

9. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Wink @ Apr 11 2011, 02:34 PM) [snapback]25820[/snapback]

I am finding that with the price of gas going up it is getting easier to book a open spot in the state and federal camp grounds.Is any one else finding this to be true or is it just where I camp most of the time in Georgia & Florida.

You don't know how right your are but I don't think it is the gas price alone to shy away campers.
    I am spending my Winter in Florida too , Crystal River and not only you had a lot of spots to chose from but, even during Christmas, the shopping centers were half empty.
    The USA is going through a very difficult period and on top of that the Florida's economy is graded on tourism and ......
    I am not trying to be pessimistic but , I believe that it will take few years for the economy there to pick up.

10. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

QUOTE(Wink @ Apr 11 2011, 04:34 PM) [snapback]25820[/snapback]

I am finding that with the price of gas going up it is getting easier to book a open spot in the state and federal camp grounds.Is any one else finding this to be true or is it just where I camp most of the time in Georgia & Florida.

Well with camping season finished up I got a better observation to this question... all our trips that we had booked into the weekend we found the campgrounds at least 95% full. There was only one campground which we had booked during the weekday that was located in a prime destination area that only 50% full at best which we found very surprising.

So overall seemed most of the campgrounds that we visited were mostly packed with the same booking hassles

Mike

11. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(mdcamping @ Dec 6 2011, 06:49 PM) [snapback]28362[/snapback]

Well with camping season finished up I got a better observation to this question... all our trips that we had booked into the weekend we found the campgrounds at least 95% full. There was only one campground which we had booked during the weekday that was located in a prime destination area that only 50% full at best which we found very surprising.

So overall seemed most of the campgrounds that we visited were mostly packed with the same booking hassles

Mike

Well with camping season finished????? :eek: :MIKE, the camping season is just starting, I AM A SNOW BIRD and while you are at home NORTH ??????, I shall be relaxing under the Florida sun and fishing every day :p , BUT, I am a sensible guy and before starting my day when I am there, I check with the computer the weather condition of N. USA and Canada and I feel really miserable for all of you poor people going around with gloves, scarf, booths and frozen nose tip. :lol:
    Think about that, you have to wait an other 10 - 15 - 20 or years before being able to retire and join the elected people.... (don't sweat,. I can't hear you...)

12. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

QUOTE(Galli @ Dec 6 2011, 09:08 PM) [snapback]28363[/snapback]

Well with camping season finished????? :eek: :MIKE, the camping season is just starting, I AM A SNOW BIRD and while you are at home NORTH ??????, I shall be relaxing under the Florida sun and fishing every day :p , BUT, I am a sensible guy and before starting my day when I am there, I check with the computer the weather condition of N. USA and Canada and I feel really miserable for all of you poor people going around with gloves, scarf, booths and frozen nose tip. :lol:
    Think about that, you have to wait an other 10 - 15 - 20 or years before being able to retire and join the elected people.... (don't sweat,. I can't hear you...)

Oh sure rub it in... :D but I"ll still have 10 -15- 20 years of camping before hopefully some retirement camping!!

Hmmmm I think there's a cold front just getting ready to plow into Florida! :D :p

Mike

13. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(mdcamping @ Dec 6 2011, 09:57 PM) [snapback]28365[/snapback]

Hmmmm I think there's a cold front just getting ready to plow into Florida! :D :p

Mike

Yeah, and what will it drop the temperature to? 65 if it is a really cold one? Brrrrr :lol:

14. imagardener

imagardener
    Expand Collapse

We're permanent residents of south Florida (bricks&sticks) and taking our RV to north FL tomorrow for a week. I thought it was low-season there because summer is their high season so didn't make reservations way in advance.

Turns out that our first spot only had one space left because a hunting party took the rest. Next weekend has a big kayak group and the next weekend...etc

However I don't expect we'll have any trouble at larger state parks with more spaces later in the week on weekdays.

Factoid: 2 different sources this week told us that they were busy-busy-busy with RV work (restoration, repair, etc) and that business had really picked up in the last 6 months. Both sources were in Florida.

Your mileage may vary :)

15. Wink

Wink
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Dec 7 2011, 02:00 AM) [snapback]28367[/snapback]

Yeah, and what will it drop the temperature to? 65 if it is a really cold one? Brrrrr :lol:

You got it.Just got home from a seven day camping trip at Sebastian Inlet SP. Six days no heat or A/C windows open day and night yesterday had the A/C on in the evening woke up this morning and turned the heat on as the RV was 61 inside.Back home a little north only going to be mid sixty's today but back to seventy's tomorrow.Life is rought down here but some one has to live here and pay property tax's to keep the politicians pockets full. :rolleyes:

16. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

We know the feeling. Heat and cold are not a big problem but it cost lots of money to help keep up the states money supply. Like a bottomless money pit. A tough life but someone needs to help keep the money flow up. :rolleyes:

17. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

Our campground, in Central TX, used to fill up with over night campers as the Winter Texans headed to the valley for the winter. Now I see many still going by but I think they are trying to put in longer days so they don't have to pay for over night camping as often as they used to do. Some that have stopped have told me they drove 10-12 hrs that day and just felt like they couldn't make the last few hours so they gave in and stopped. I understand how they feel about having to take time off the road and pay for something they they feel they can pass up. Money is really tight.

18. B. Kidd

B. Kidd
    Expand Collapse

Less American rigs so far this year in my Yuma winter retreat park.
    Thank God for Canadian's whom are somewhat filling the gap.
    It's apparent so many more Americans are broke as a joke and are not making the trip this year.

19. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Dec 7 2011, 12:00 AM) [snapback]28367[/snapback]

Ha, ha, ha, cold spot, yes you are right ,it is going to be 65 F. for one night but it is not really the temperature that makes me happy, I shall explain in few lines how's my miserable life once there.. :lol: I get up around 09 am :eek: , not because it is time but the birds are making so much noisy and the smell of flowers is so intense that's difficult to remain in bed. :eek:
    I get up and while I am doing so, my lovely wife is preparing a fresh pot of coffee, bacon and eggs and I know that it is not polite but while eating, I am browsing through the internet for the weather here (because I have to go fishing) :p and I am also checking the weather in the northern part of USA and Canada and when I see minus 15 or 20,in Canada and plus 1 or 2 in northern USA, I cannot refrain from shivering and being very concerned for my human pair :( that have to get up early, dress up like an Eskimos and then (I shall say a bad word) going to work :ph34r: in slush or cold or rain.
    No, it is not fair, no human being should be forced to stand in such environment ... unless you have been very, very naughty and this is your punishment. ;)
    In closing, I promise, every Sunday I shall make a prayer for all of you. :rolleyes:
    signed....THE BEST

20. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Galli @ Dec 19 2011, 08:01 PM) [snapback]28439[/snapback]

Ha, ha, ha, cold spot, yes you are right ,it is going to be 65 F. for one night but it is not really the temperature that makes me happy, I shall explain in few lines how's my miserable life once there.. :lol: I get up around 09 am :eek: , not because it is time but the birds are making so much noisy and the smell of flowers is so intense that's difficult to remain in bed. :eek:
    I get up and while I am doing so, my lovely wife is preparing a fresh pot of coffee, bacon and eggs and I know that it is not polite but while eating, I am browsing through the internet for the weather here (because I have to go fishing) :p and I am also checking the weather in the northern part of USA and Canada and when I see minus 15 or 20,in Canada and plus 1 or 2 in northern USA, I cannot refrain from shivering and being very concerned for my human pair :( that have to get up early, dress up like an Eskimos and then (I shall say a bad word) going to work :ph34r: in slush or cold or rain.
    No, it is not fair, no human being should be forced to stand in such environment ... unless you have been very, very naughty and this is your punishment. ;)
    In closing, I promise, every Sunday I shall make a prayer for all of you. :rolleyes:
    signed....THE BEST

Yes, but, some of us are forced to show the rest how life should be lived but someone has to do it. Chilly 60 degrees this morning in Rockport TX.