Less People Camping.

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Wink, Apr 11, 2011.

1. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

Not certain how the rest of the snowbird areas are, but here in Central Fl the rv parks look full as we drive by. Traffic has been horrible, restaurants and Dr's offices are full of snowbirds. Yesterday, all four Disney parks, Universal, and Legoland all announced they had quit admitting people because the parks were at capacity.

2. rgatijnet

rgatijnet
    Expand Collapse

When the weather turns cool and the snowbirds start heading into Florida is usually when the wife and I take off. There is nothing like the Grand Canyon in January as well as many other National Parks that are crowded during the Summer. Cold weather/snow doesn't bother us and the dog loves it. I always carry snow chains to use to get into and out of some RV parks when the snow falls. My coach was built for Winter with double pane windows, plenty of insulation, and plenty of heat available to keep us comfortable. We do watch the weather carefully and am able to avoid the really bad storms, but as we know with tornadoes in the South, bad weather can get you anywhere.
    If you don't like crowds, like we have in Florida during the Winter, traveling in the off season is the only way to go. :D

3. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

Hooo I see, there are many jealous people in the work force but remember you are the back bone of the country :lol: , furthermore, if you are going to behave well (i.e. no kandies, no fat food, limited booze, reduce the hunky punky around, be a good citizen and pay all taxes.. etc..) you will live beyond a retirement day :rolleyes: (afterthought ), if you behave like a saint, it is not even worth live beyond retirement.... :p
    Signed, the wise one.

4. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

We spent the day at the Tampa RV Super show. This was the first time in years to see this number of people. The show was wall to wall with people. Parking lots at 9:30 am were close to full. Long lines to get into the show. Hard to walk around and look at RV's. RV park inside with hookup's was full. Parking lot outside the gate had lots of large RV's as well. I think more people are coming back into RV life now. :)

5. B. Kidd

B. Kidd
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ Jan 12 2012, 03:23 PM) [snapback]28593[/snapback]

We spent the day at the Tampa RV Super show. This was the first time in years to see this number of people. The show was wall to wall with people. Parking lots at 9:30 am were close to full. Long lines to get into the show. Hard to walk around and look at RV's. RV park inside with hookup's was full. Parking lot outside the gate had lots of large RV's as well. I think more people are coming back into RV life now. :)

According to the RV Dealers' Association (RVDA), there was a 12.6% sales increase in motorhomes between June 2010 and June 2011. In the same period, sales for towables experienced a 4.2% sales increase.
    There is still a ways to go, but hope you are right about more people coming into the RV life.

6. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

Hmmmm I think there's a cold front just getting ready to plow into Florida! :D :p

Ah, yes, but we Floridians know how to bundle up when the wind chill factor gets down to 65. After all, we do have orange juice in our veins instead of blood. I had some guests once visiting from Michigan when the temp got down in the 40's. They were complaining about the cold and I said "well, just put on a jacket and you'll be fine!". They didn't want to wear jackets in Florida. Amazing, they'd wear jackets in Michigan if it was in the 40's but would rather walk around in Orlando and freeze their a$$s off.

7. edcornflake

edcornflake
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(B. Kidd @ Jan 12 2012, 06:47 PM) [snapback]28594[/snapback]

According to the RV Dealers' Association (RVDA), there was a 12.6% sales increase in motorhomes between June 2010 and June 2011. In the same period, sales for towables experienced a 4.2% sales increase.

I'd love to see a demographic breakdown - I'm in my late 30's (for a few more months) and have young children - how does my age range fit in this vs. Baby Boomers looking to full time. Not any kind of value judgement, just curious - is RVing maintaining it's young family end or is it eroding on that end but picking up amongst retirees? Based on what I've seen, it's pretty much an even split, but my experience is limited to mostly NJ, PA and a little in DE and SC.

8. togators

togators
    Expand Collapse

I am also in the upper 30's down in Florida. We bought our first RV 8 years ago after my son was born in order to tailgate football games with AC for the baby. 3 rv's later we get out about one weekend every month and also use it for my sons travel baseball games. We have had two families stay with us over the years that now own rv's. I think the thought of RV's are for just the retired is slowly changing. The manufactures are also designing the new rigs with families in mind. Just my thoughts, but I see a constant with the more mature population but a slow increase in the 30-40ish age frame.

9. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

We're run into a lot of people in the last two years who are full-timing with children. They're homeschooling in the RV. Some are just traveling and some are going from work site to work site.

10. Wink

Wink
    Expand Collapse

Well waiting to see what happens now. Paid over 4.00 dollars a gallon last week in south Florida. As we have trips booked till June we will take them as they are paid for.After that will be looking close to home I think. Will still camp but not put on the miles but when we do will stay longer at each stop.At the time my mileage direct cost is around .50 cents a mile for gas only.:(

11. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Wink @ Feb 27 2012, 08:14 PM) [snapback]28879[/snapback]

Well waiting to see what happens now. Paid over 4.00 dollars a gallon last week in south Florida. As we have trips booked till June we will take them as they are paid for.After that will be looking close to home I think. Will still camp but not put on the miles but when we do will stay longer at each stop.At the time my mileage direct cost is around .50 cents a mile for gas only.:(

We're going to plow on regardless. Just dig a little deeper into the war chest. Last year we spent five months zig-zagging from Florida to Seattle and back. 13,000+ miles. This year, it's just up to Maine and back so fewer miles, but the rv parks are going to be more expensive. So, we're going to get slammed one way or the other. But I refuse to let the economy mess up what I worked and saved all those years for -- to travel the way I want to travel.

12. Wink

Wink
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jamarynn1 @ Feb 27 2012, 10:20 PM) [snapback]28881[/snapback]

We're going to plow on regardless. Just dig a little deeper into the war chest. Last year we spent five months zig-zagging from Florida to Seattle and back. 13,000+ miles. This year, it's just up to Maine and back so fewer miles, but the rv parks are going to be more expensive. So, we're going to get slammed one way or the other. But I refuse to let the economy mess up what I worked and saved all those years for -- to travel the way I want to travel.

As you I am going to camp but just no short trips so I can make more out of the miles I do pull.

13. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(jamarynn1 @ Feb 27 2012, 09:20 PM) [snapback]28881[/snapback]

I refuse to let the economy mess up what I worked and saved all those years for -- to travel the way I want to travel.

We feel the same way. I don't want to be 90years old and saying "I wish I had seen such and such, but gas was too high, so we stayed home." We'll make adjustments and keep on traveling.

14. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Over our camping years, we've built a list of locations that we'd like to return to when we can spend more time enjoying the surrounding area and attractions. This year looks like it will be a good time to do that. With less road travel and longer stays at each location, we think we can pretty well stay within our existing fuel budget, and still have a great time experiencing new things.

15. togators

togators
    Expand Collapse

I bought my first RV from a retired Master Chief. I asked the question "How much does it cost to fill-up". He responded with, "Son, if you have to ask me that question, you cannot afford this rig". It was a little bit more colorful than that...but since then I try not to worry about fuel prices and just look at it as investing in my families memories.

16. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Feb 28 2012, 12:38 AM) [snapback]28885[/snapback]

We feel the same way. I don't want to be 90years old and saying "I wish I had seen such and such, but gas was too high, so we stayed home." We'll make adjustments and keep on traveling.

The way I look at it is....when I'm sitting in a wheelchair in a nursing home, I do not want to be saying "Gosh, I'm so glad we didn't make those trips when the gas was so high. I saved all that money so that the government could take it away from me when I went on Medicaid." What I want to be saying is "Woo-wee! How 'bout that time we went hiking in the Grand Canyon and they had to send a mule train to get us out!" Now, THOSE are the memories I want.

17. Wink

Wink
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jamarynn1 @ Mar 1 2012, 12:03 AM) [snapback]28901[/snapback]

The way I look at it is....when I'm sitting in a wheelchair in a nursing home, I do not want to be saying "Gosh, I'm so glad we didn't make those trips when the gas was so high. I saved all that money so that the government could take it away from me when I went on Medicaid." What I want to be saying is "Woo-wee! How 'bout that time we went hiking in the Grand Canyon and they had to send a mule train to get us out!" Now, THOSE are the memories I want.

I got my loan approved for another tank of gas so we are hooked up and getting on the road. :lol: B)

18. edcornflake

edcornflake
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Wink @ Mar 1 2012, 08:29 AM) [snapback]28902[/snapback]

I got my loan approved for another tank of gas so we are hooked up and getting on the road. :lol: B)

HAAAAAAAAA! That's funny!

19. B. Kidd

B. Kidd
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(edcornflake @ Mar 1 2012, 07:06 PM) [snapback]28913[/snapback]

HAAAAAAAAA! That's funny!

As funny as a heart attack!
    I shouldn't get political here, sorry, (but can't resist),
    welcome to Obamanation.........

20. KentuckyCampin

KentuckyCampin
    Expand Collapse

Too early to tell here in KY, however, I have already reserved my spots for memorial day, 4th of july weekend and labor day. I have found that the earlier I reserve the better. The gas prices wont affect me, we WILL be camping as much as possible!! LOL
    Happy camping!