Gps For Rver

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by MelindaK, Apr 16, 2011.

1. MelindaK

MelindaK
    Expand Collapse

I am looking to upgrade from my current Garmin GPS and thought I would get one that has RVers in mind. Currently have a Garmin Nova. Saw Camping World has a Cobra and a Garmin both can be programed for height of travel trailer/RV, weight, etc. Does anyone have an idea which is better? Or another suggestion.

2. Wink

Wink
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(MelindaK @ Apr 16 2011, 11:25 PM) [snapback]25885[/snapback]

I am looking to upgrade from my current Garmin GPS and thought I would get one that has RVers in mind. Currently have a Garmin Nova. Saw Camping World has a Cobra and a Garmin both can be programed for height of travel trailer/RV, weight, etc. Does anyone have an idea which is better? Or another suggestion.

I don`t know which is better but I think I would stick with Garmin.I have used a trucker GPS but did not program for size so was sort of a over kill.That sounds like a good idea to be able to put in what you are driving.

3. Traveling man

Traveling man
    Expand Collapse

I have a Navigon and a Tom Tom, and compared both for a year- The Tom Tom has nicer display, but the Navigon is more accurate.

What would be nice would be a GPS with an RV mode- propane locations, lock out for windy roads with one lane bridges etc.

I wouldn't be in an RV without one, if only to keep from ending up on a dead end road without a way to turn around

4. Travelin Sam

Travelin Sam
    Expand Collapse

Cobra may be a very fine unit, but with Garmin you know that there will be steady map updates available when you want them. Choices are limited for "trucker" gps devices and Garmin is the only one from the mainstream GPS companies.

5. fpresto

fpresto
    Expand Collapse

6. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I was reading an article on Yahoo a while back that said GPS units will no longer be sold in 3 or 4 years because they are included on most smart phones and are updated on a routine basis via the cellular system. Includes traffic and all of the normal GPS function. I have one on my Android that does what ever we need. It even has a French witch that keeps telling me I made the wrong turn.

7. MelindaK

MelindaK
    Expand Collapse

Fpresto, thanks for the link to the review. Since I am headed up north this year late in September and early October for the Fall colors and after reading about the trucker GPS I thought it might be a wise investment to get me through the heavy traffic and avoid covered bridges or low overpasses. I think I am going to go with Garmin.

I can't imagine trying to figure all that out on a phone GPS while driving.

8. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

You just put the phone on speaker and it works just like a GPS. The screen is bigger than some. Nice little electronic lady talks to you.

9. edcornflake

edcornflake
    Expand Collapse

I've been doing some research on this myself and hadn't found anything I really liked, but the link that fpresto posted is getting close!

10. MelindaK

MelindaK
    Expand Collapse

I found the Garmin Dezi 560LT on sale for $359 and bit the bullet since I was told I could return it if I decided I did not like the unit as long as I had my receipt. I have not had a chance yet to test it out. I will let you know if I find any issues with it.

11. JDRobar

JDRobar
    Expand Collapse

Is anyone aware of a garmin type application that is available for laptop use ? I like the idea of a larger screen.

12. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

Is anyone aware of a garmin type application that is available for laptop use ? I like the idea of a larger screen.

Microsoft Streets and Trips comes with a GPS version - you get an antenna to plug into the laptop. I use it a lot due to the large screen and I can hook speakers to it that will let me hear directions clearly. Also has good POI coverage. Only problem I have with it is wanting to play with it to see all the trip calculations (high speed, average speed, low speed, time remaining, etc).

13. JDRobar

JDRobar
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Joez, I'll check it out; although while driving around town today my wife indicated she would NOT be interested in holding the PC for me to look at. :huh: (Ok dear, just as you say dear.) I know there are stands out there to hold PCs in vehicles, but they look pricy.....maybe I'll have to make something that'll do the job.

14. RV Camper1

RV Camper1
    Expand Collapse

Check out the new RVND from the Rand-McNally road atlas folks.

15. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

So have you tried it? If so how do you like it?

16. edcornflake

edcornflake
    Expand Collapse

Kirk,
    The RVND looks like the exact piece of equipment I've been looking for. Thanks for posting the link.

17. JDRobar

JDRobar
    Expand Collapse

Joez, I've done some due diligence on the MS Streets & Trips. People have had problems with it being compatible with NT7. While complaints on the web are circumspect, MS has had a spotty history on testing.

18. JDRobar

JDRobar
    Expand Collapse

It looks like the MS Streets and Trips has a problem with MS's own newest Operating System :eek: (Joez let me know he uses Vista via msg - thanks joez).

After looking at what Rand McNalley had to say about their RVND 5510, in spite of not being able see just what accessory was needed to get real time updates for traffic, I made the purchase. Dang you, Kirk ;) Actually, I think I'll be much happier with the RVND if it performs as promised, thanks for the info, Kirk. (new toy ! new toy !)

Shopped around, and found Camping World has a better price if you are a President's Club member ($319.99, $5 shipping & w/ tax came to $355.87 here in WA) than Amazon (they want same price as Rand McNalley $349.99 b4 tax and shipping)

I'll let folks know what I think in two or three weeks.

19. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Be sure to give us a report. This sounds really interesting.