Headed To Yellowstone

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Doug D., May 3, 2011.

1. Doug D.

Doug D.
    Expand Collapse

In late July..... Leaving Denver (coming from FLA) headed to South entrance Yellowstone... Have a 32' fifth wheel, pulled by a Dodge 3500 dually... How difficult is the drive? (not used to Mountains, in Fla.) with a 32' Fifth wheel? I heard "DO NOT" go out East Entrance due to mountainous driving? They suggest the NorthEast Entrance... and how bad is the "First Come, First Served" camping with this size rig? Do I need to plan on getting Reservations outside the Park... and if Yes, anybody got suggestions? Nice places, that won't break my savings account." < B) THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Doug,

If you come in on south entrance you will have no problems. To find a place in the Nat. park will be a problem. Fishing Bridge is shut down for updates on power and other items. The other sites in park are better for popup's and tents. I would go out to West Yellowstone and see if you can find a site at Grizzly RV Park. If not look into other parks near by. All parks will be full in late July. You can tour Yellowstone from this park with no problems. Tons of wildlife on west side of park. On the east side of Yellowstone you can go in and out but need good equipment due to 6% to 8% grades and small road. :)

3. Dennis_K

Dennis_K
    Expand Collapse

I was there last year. Coming in the south through Grand Teton Park should be no problem and you should stop there anyway. I have gone in and out the East entrance with a 34' motorhome pulling a trailer with no problem but it is a bit steep in some places. The east entrance goes to Cody which is worth a visit. I highly recommend Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone, very nice place. The Fishing Bridge campground has the best location in the park and may be repaired by now but is is very tight.
    If you rather go up hill rather than down then maybe go in the east entrance and out the south.

If you haven't gotten it already, get a copy of the Mountian Directory West book. It gives you information on almost all of the mountain passes and steep grades in the west. A wealth of information to someone who is not used to mountain driving.
    www.mountaindirectory.com

4. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

There have been quite a few threads in this forum concerning Yellowstone. You may want to look at some of these threads by using the "Search" option on this site. Just use the "key word" Yellowstone and it will show you topics containing the word "Yellowstone". You may want to concentrate on topic titles that sound specifically about Yellowstone.

5. mailman01

mailman01
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ May 10 2011, 11:27 PM) [snapback]26057[/snapback]

There have been quite a few threads in this forum concerning Yellowstone. You may want to look at some of these threads by using the "Search" option on this site. Just use the "key word" Yellowstone and it will show you topics containing the word "Yellowstone". You may want to concentrate on topic titles that sound specifically about Yellowstone.

We were in Yellowstone last June and entered up through Idaho entering the West side passing through the Park and exiting the East side. We camped at a NFS campground 12 miles out the East entrance called Rex Hale Campground, w/e with pit toilet. No dump. Really a neat place in a scenic valley near a river. They did take the Senior Access Pass which left me paying something like $10 per night or something like that, don't remember exactly, but the price was right. There are several camping areas within 10-20 miles of the East Entrance similar to this one. Weather was unpredictable, some snow showers and windy most of the time. No problems pulling the camper through the Park.

6. F350Powerstroke

F350Powerstroke
    Expand Collapse

We parked our rig in Cody KOA and commuted. I think it was about 45-50 minutes to the park entrance.

7. Alessandro

Alessandro
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Doug D. @ May 3 2011, 08:35 PM) [snapback]26003[/snapback]

In late July..... Leaving Denver (coming from FLA) headed to South entrance Yellowstone... Have a 32' fifth wheel, pulled by a Dodge 3500 dually... How difficult is the drive? (not used to Mountains, in Fla.) with a 32' Fifth wheel? I heard "DO NOT" go out East Entrance due to mountainous driving? They suggest the NorthEast Entrance... and how bad is the "First Come, First Served" camping with this size rig? Do I need to plan on getting Reservations outside the Park... and if Yes, anybody got suggestions? Nice places, that won't break my savings account." < B) THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

We traveled with our Winnebago A-Class from the South entrance to the West entrance and ended at the end of the day on the KOA camping at West Yellowstone. We traveled for 4 days from this KOA to all the loops at Yellowstone NP and have made several hikes, too. Always easy to park somewhere. We never had any problems. Stopping on the roadside when game was in sight? No problem! We were in Yellowstone in June and encountered a real snow storm and all Yellowstone was covered with a snow blanket... what a wonderful experience! Just the day before we would enter the park, they closed the South gate and re-opened it after clearing the roads!

8. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

We stayed here last year with our 32' motorhome and had a great time. I don't believe Fishing Bridge is closed, it just doesn't have electric and nno campfires. We stayed at bridge bay campground and got a reservation before going. I think your rig would fit in about 1/3 of the sites in this area, but no hookups. We took the road in/out of Cody and had no problems with the hills.

9. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

We were in West Yellowstone at Grizzly RV Park in early June and it is great. We stayed 6 days and didn't see it all. They have a screwy WiFi system with 2 hour coupons, but the park is state of the art. There is a also a outlet store there when you can get Yellowstone items very cheap. The traffic may be bad inside the park as several buffalo can stop 200 cars. Lot of foreign visitors that don't understand the concept of courtesy. You will really enjoy it. Things are expensive. If you have a 4 wheel drive, you can see more.

10. witherig

witherig
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Jul 31 2011, 01:13 PM) [snapback]26992[/snapback]

We were in West Yellowstone at Grizzly RV Park in early June and it is great. We stayed 6 days and didn't see it all. They have a screwy WiFi system with 2 hour coupons, but the park is state of the art. There is a also a outlet store there when you can get Yellowstone items very cheap. The traffic may be bad inside the park as several buffalo can stop 200 cars. Lot of foreign visitors that don't understand the concept of courtesy. You will really enjoy it. Things are expensive. If you have a 4 wheel drive, you can see more.

we were there thru 4 th of july 2010 camped at flagg ranch only 2 miles from the southern entrance very nice a little dusty but arent they all out there.we really enjoyed our stay there.
    have a safe trip we are headed to south dakota in 8 days can't wait.....

11. drjmcclellan

drjmcclellan
    Expand Collapse

We heard that the best area is the west entrance. We too are just leaving the Denver area and plan to be in Yellowstone in 10 days. Heading through Salt Lake City and Idaho Falls first. I made reservations at www.grizzlyrv.com. Looks like a great park! But they said that the next couple weeks are very busy in the area so I would suggest making reservations.

Happy travels!
    drjmcclellan