Trip Planning, Advice Please

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Gypsy's Winnie, May 15, 2011.

1. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

Gypsie> Please understand that I mean absolutely no disrespect when I say that, from reading your posts, you appear to be more of a micro manager that I am. And if you ask my wife, that’s hard to accomplish. LOL!!

An RV awe crap day is no different that losing your luggage at the airport, a screwed up hotel reservation, lousy restaurant service, bad seats at the ball park, etc, etc. If one day doesn’t go as planned for the both of you, and make no mistake about it being a team effort, then use that experience to make it better the next time.

Everyone who has replied to your post has given good, solid, experienced advice. America has many wonderful places to visit. Be flexible, let it flow, and take pictures to show your family.

If you’d like to PM me, I’ll provide some suggestions about campgrounds in the Austin area (I’m only 40 miles from there). I will be in Fort Collins at the end of next week and can help you with info on the area as well.

2. Gypsy's Winnie

Gypsy's Winnie
    Expand Collapse

RLM, no offense taken. And you may be correct .. never thought of myself as "micro-managing", but I do have a reputation for being thorough and very organized. It is extremely necessary that I be so in my daily life and in my work!

I sincerely appreciate all the advice given in all replies and am using every bit to plan this trip. I have two weeks off from work and want to make the best of it! He wants to drive and drive and drive and I would like to see some of the places we "drive" to! He laughed when I read your term "RV crap day" and said we can't afford to have more than one!

Thanks one and all!

3. MelindaK

MelindaK
    Expand Collapse

Gypsy's Winnie,

When I first started out and had tight time constraints I would drive one day approximately 475 miles and then the next day approximately 245 miles to the next destination and then we would camp there two or three nights. this way I had the first afternoon to relax after the long haul. Then move to the main destination. The only problem with this was/is I am the only driver. After the trip I would feel exhausted. Now that I have a little more time when I do longer trips like many of other posts stated I try not to race to the destination. This makes the trip there more enjoyable for me.

For camping between Austin and San Antonio depends on what you like and how close you would like to be to IH 35. Outside of San Marcos there is Pecan Park. If you would like to know more just PM for details.

Have Fun!

P.S.
    I will try to remember to post about Niagara Falls trip not going until September.

4. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

We are on a trip out West now from Florida. I have put about 3,500 miles on the coach and about 1700 miles on the toad (4 wheel drive midsized pickup). I had to use the 4 wheel drive 3 times yesterday on small out of the way roads in SD.) To me, having a toad and exploring is half the fun (or more).

5. Alessandro

Alessandro
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Gypsy's Winnie @ May 15 2011, 03:50 PM) [snapback]26093[/snapback]

Bryce canyon, the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, he wants to do it all!
    Now, the question. Our unit is 8 ft wide and we do not have a "TOAD".
    Thank you in advance.

My wife and I are retired and living in Europe. We made our first 4 weeks trip in the USA starting in LA. We hired a Winnebago A-Class 32' and did most national parks in the South West, incl. Grand Canyon and Bryce. Doing almost all these parks can easily be done. We traveled in the after season the first time in 2003. Still we had to make reservations in the National Park Camping grounds; most of them are dry camping area, so be prepared for enough water and empty holding tanks (black and grey). Yellowstone is another story. It's much too far away from the other parks in Utah, Arizona, Colorado and California. We made a 7 weeks trip to this area, starting in SF, again with an A-Class 32'. We advise 4 nights in a camping like the KOA in West Yellowstone. Just pack up and travel a part of Yellowstone each day with the RV. This is really easy and you can drive with open windows without any danger as you are higher above the ground than driving around in a private car. We never encountered any problem on any road. On the camping grounds in National Parks or National Forests we normally left the coach before entering. We simply checked out the place to avoid "surprises". Next year we hire a 39' diesel pusher and will start in Phoenix Arizona. We will travel from west to east and back in 7 weeks.
    Our main advise to you is: never stay less than 2 nights in a National Park or National Forest. Take your time.

6. Alessandro

Alessandro
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Gypsy's Winnie @ May 19 2011, 07:45 PM) [snapback]26145[/snapback]

RLM, no offense taken. And you may be correct .. never thought of myself as "micro-managing", but I do have a reputation for being thorough and very organized. It is extremely necessary that I be so in my daily life and in my work!

I recognize this very much. When I organized our 3 weeks vacations, I planned every day thoroughly to avoid. Then, when I retired it was very difficult to let it loose and live by the day. Now we take vacations of 6 to 7 weeks! And just RVing around and call the next camping ground to hear if they have place for us is on one hand relaxing and a more "South European" way of vacation, but on the other hand it stresses me a bit not to have everything under control. So, go on as you do now, because it suits you best. And one day you will retire and have the time on your side.
    My wife and I live in The Netherlands and like cruising the USA for its space, nature, quietness and the American lifestyle.