Campgrounds For Camping

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Cape Codger, May 24, 2011.

1. Cape Codger

Cape Codger
    Expand Collapse

:(
    Has anyone found a book or listings of campgrounds in AZ, TX and FL (US is better) that are just campgrounds? We are tired of going to so called RV Resorts and find they are 75 to 90 percent Park Models. If we wanted to sit around watching the grass grow, we could stay home.
    Most of us know (rarely say) that there is a difference between RV people and Park Model people. RV people tend to be more outgoing and friendly. Usually a lot of interaction on trips and plans and lots of how to information.
    I know this sounds snobbish but when you are the only RV in and area of Park Models where the people just sit inside watching TV it can be very discouraging. Seem more and more campgrounds are becoming Park Models Parks, not RV Campgrounds.

2. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

Don't know where you are trying to stay, but we rarely see park models except at larger snowbird parks in Florida. If you want the "camping experience" why not stay at state parks, COE campgrounds, or similar? Destination locations (snowbird areas, parks near popular lakes, etc) tend to have a lot more permanent/seasonal spots - helps with their cash flow.

3. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Same as Joez, we are in a state park now and not one park model in this place. We were in COE parks couple weeks ago and same thing, only RV units. Works for me. :lol:

4. oscardiggs

oscardiggs
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Cape Codger @ May 24 2011, 10:46 PM) [snapback]26206[/snapback]

:(
    Has anyone found a book or listings of campgrounds in AZ, TX and FL (US is better) that are just campgrounds? We are tired of going to so called RV Resorts and find they are 75 to 90 percent Park Models. If we wanted to sit around watching the grass grow, we could stay home.
    Most of us know (rarely say) that there is a difference between RV people and Park Model people. RV people tend to be more outgoing and friendly. Usually a lot of interaction on trips and plans and lots of how to information.
    I know this sounds snobbish but when you are the only RV in and area of Park Models where the people just sit inside watching TV it can be very discouraging. Seem more and more campgrounds are becoming Park Models Parks, not RV Campgrounds.

try http://www.texascampgrounds.com/ .They will send you a campground book that list what each park has in Texas and New Mexico_Or stop at a T.A.C.O. park and pick up a free one.

5. Cape Codger

Cape Codger
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for the suggestions. One question though. What is a COE park? I know this may show my ignorance on some of the lingo.
    I do have to admit it is in FL, CA and AZ that we seem to run into this. We have had some bad experiences in several state campgrounds so we have shied away from them. Will have to try some more again this summer to prep us for our winter travels into snowbird country.

Again, thank all of you for your thoughts and suggestions.

6. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

COE = Corps of Engineers

7. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

At the end of campground name you will see COE. So a COE park name would be like "River Falls COE" on this website. I use the book in link below and find this book to be great. One at Camping World was junk grade. Everything you need to know about a COE parks is in this book. Cost is under $16. We use COE parks all the time if we can find an open site.

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/campguide/

8. Traveling man

Traveling man
    Expand Collapse

I'm not seeing the park models, just the regular RV's in the Northwest and Southwest. I guess that's because I bypass the high range "resort" parks.

If you are looking for campgrounds, the public parks would be the best bet. I split my time between RV Parks and State Parks, as looking at the scenery in person beats seeing it on travel channel. I'ts not unusual to have an expensive RV in the space on one side of us, and a tent trailer on the other.

If you want to camp off the beaten path, the Coleman National Forest Campground & Recreation Directory is a great resource. It lets you know which campgrounds are suitable for RV use. I understand it's out of print and limited to used copies however. I've found the information in the book, including rates, to still be fairly current.

9. DJGUNNER

DJGUNNER
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jim crowl @ May 30 2011, 10:21 PM) [snapback]26291[/snapback]

I'm not seeing the park models, just the regular RV's in the Northwest and Southwest. I guess that's because I bypass the high range "resort" parks.

If you are looking for campgrounds, the public parks would be the best bet. I split my time between RV Parks and State Parks, as looking at the scenery in person beats seeing it on travel channel. I'ts not unusual to have an expensive RV in the space on one side of us, and a tent trailer on the other.

If you want to camp off the beaten path, the Coleman National Forest Campground & Recreation Directory is a great resource. It lets you know which campgrounds are suitable for RV use. I understand it's out of print and limited to used copies however. I've found the information in the book, including rates, to still be fairly current.

I just joined this forum because I am also tired of going to campgrounds and so called camping resorts that are full of seasonal campers. Seasonal camping is cool, but my wife and I love walking our dogs and looking at how folks set up camp, what thier to rig is and what kind of camper they pulled to that campground. We moved to the Pittsburgh PA area three years ago and have been somewhat dissapointed with the camping experience up here. We were in the Virginia Beach VA area for many years while I was in The Navy. Any one know of any Western PA camprounds where folks actually drive or pull a camper for a four day weekend? Thank you.

10. MCRANE

MCRANE
    Expand Collapse

We are in Florida and alot of these "resorts" are full of park models. It always amazes me why people would buy them when you see so many up for sale in the parks. The people who buy
    them fix up the lots to look like a mobile home park. The craziest thing is that they don't own the ground it stands on. When the campground changes management or ownership for the worst they are stuck. I personally don't like them. I think they are all part of the resorts taking the fun out of camping.

11. Cape Codger

Cape Codger
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(MCRANE @ Jun 21 2011, 04:16 PM) [snapback]26557[/snapback]

We are in Florida and alot of these "resorts" are full of park models. It always amazes me why people would buy them when you see so many up for sale in the parks. The people who buy
    them fix up the lots to look like a mobile home park. The craziest thing is that they don't own the ground it stands on. When the campground changes management or ownership for the worst they are stuck. I personally don't like them. I think they are all part of the resorts taking the fun out of camping.

Thank you, My wife and I are disgusted with these places that call themselves RV Resorts and all they are is park models with a few RV sites. Those kind of parks don't have the outside life which camping is all about.
    Just like up here on Cape Cod, many places list several hundred sites but in reality maybe depending on which one you choose there are only a dozen or two RV sites.
    We have our list of so called RV Resorts groups and associations that are not RV campgrounds for us not to stop at even though they call themselves Campgrounds.
    I have asked on other sites (and this one too) where there are any REAL CAMPGROUND books or internet sites that list them in that manner.
    Yes, we are snowbirds. But being a snowbird does not mean sitting on your butt watching TV or the grass grow. It means getting out and meeting others, exchanging ideas and sitting around a campfire at night watching the sun go down.

12. MCRANE

MCRANE
    Expand Collapse

I hear you. I have seen a lot of these resortrs where you feel funny walking outside after the sun goes down. No one bar-b-ques or has a camp fire. We started camp hosting in the state parks its a lot more up my alley but isn't really a solution for a seasonal considering we have a 2 week leghth of stay for guest. I don't think there is any books for real campgrounds. I do think you are on the right track about staying away from campgrounds with park models. Look out for the corperate owned campgrounds and try to stick with private ones with less long term stays. Where in Florida do you like to go? Maybe I can give you some ideas.

13. Cape Codger

Cape Codger
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(MCRANE @ Jun 22 2011, 12:17 AM) [snapback]26567[/snapback]

I hear you. I have seen a lot of these resortrs where you feel funny walking outside after the sun goes down. No one bar-b-ques or has a camp fire. We started camp hosting in the state parks its a lot more up my alley but isn't really a solution for a seasonal considering we have a 2 week leghth of stay for guest. I don't think there is any books for real campgrounds. I do think you are on the right track about staying away from campgrounds with park models. Look out for the corperate owned campgrounds and try to stick with private ones with less long term stays. Where in Florida do you like to go? Maybe I can give you some ideas.

We are not sure. The three winters we spent in FL only one was what we would consider RV Lifestyle. That was at the Ocala Sun but we see and were told they have changed owners and it is not like it used to be.
    We have stayed the last few years out in the southern desert. in AZ and CA border area. We found that what they charge for three months (inc. Elec) is less than one month in FL. without Elec.
    If we could find a real set of RV parks in FL even if we have to bounce around every two to three weeks to different RV parks we would gladly go there. We are just fed up with being stuck around Park Models. Even if costs somewhat more.

14. MCRANE

MCRANE
    Expand Collapse

Thats funny that you said Ocala Sun. I just moved someones Rv there 2 weeks ago. He is very happy there so far but he is a long termer and not really out for the real camping experiance. In another forum I made a coment about people who really wanted to buy a condo instead of a RV. The reason I said that is because there is a lot of people in these parks who don't even own a .truck to pull their RV. Most of them had the dealer drop it off and have someone pull it to and from storage when they come down here. I made alot of extra money last year moving trailers. Let me think and get back to you with some names. Have you ever thaught about camp hosting in the state parks? it's hard to get in durring the winter but once you do it's alot of fun. You get your site free and most state parks don't have sewer but the camp host and camp workers do. We have only been doing it for a few weeks now but We love it. It's alot beter to see people who come in for short periods to have a good time instead of complain about everything and everyone around them. I have met so many good people in a real short time and so far not one stick in the mud. since I have been here I already had a person give me a perfect review and also mention me in their review. :)

15. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

Thank goodness there are choices. Years ago, when the children were young, smores and campfires and sleeping on the ground and hikes in the swamp were fun. Today I do not think so. Since our RV is our apartment on wheels, and better than a condo, thank you, we prefer rv resorts with paved streets, streetlights, landscaping, activities if you want them and night time quiet. Park models are great, if you want to return to the same place. If we are outside, I want comfortable chairs to sit in and do not want to fight no see ums, flies, mosquitos and do not want to smell like I bathed in DEET. Air conditioning and HDTV work well for me.

Each year the boys, grandkids, and I take a two week canoe/camping trip in Canada and a week elk hunting on horseback. That's enough "camping" for me. You folks can lament your "park model rv parks" if you want. I suspect you are going to see more and more of them.

16. MCRANE

MCRANE
    Expand Collapse

Yea buddy this is hard out here in the woods. Don't know how we are surviving in this 45' fifth wheel with only 5 flat screen TVs. And only three of them are hooked up to satellite. out of that only 2 have TIVO. With 2 bath rooms and only one has a sunken full sized residental sized tub. My washer/dryer combo is always washing the deet off our clothes. And my back is killing me from my select comfort bed. Yea these woods are harsh.

17. jan-n-john

jan-n-john
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(MCRANE @ Jun 23 2011, 11:21 PM) [snapback]26599[/snapback]

Yea buddy this is hard out here in the woods. Don't know how we are surviving in this 45' fifth wheel with only 5 flat screen TVs. And only three of them are hooked up to satellite. out of that only 2 have TIVO. With 2 bath rooms and only one has a sunken full sized residental sized tub. My washer/dryer combo is always washing the deet off our clothes. And my back is killing me from my select comfort bed. Yea these woods are harsh.

Just goes to show, once again, to each his own. That said, it would be nice if there were a source that gave information as to what type of place each CG is, to help us find those that suit our preference. Perhaps something to think about the next time the structure of this site is re-worked.

18. MCRANE

MCRANE
    Expand Collapse

Exactly to each is own. Anyways just saying that their is alot of other nice choices out there to get away from the "resorts" in Florida. After a couple of back surgeries i'm not tenting it but it sure is nice to see tenters, class a, c pop ups and fifth wheels all togather and everyone having a good time out doors enjoying themseves.

19. boogie

boogie
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(oscardiggs @ May 25 2011, 10:29 AM) [snapback]26212[/snapback]

try http://www.texascampgrounds.com/ .They will send you a campground book that list what each park has in Texas and New Mexico_Or stop at a T.A.C.O. park and pick up a free one.

I sent for this book, and loved it for that purpose. We are full time RV'ers but we didnt want a MH park. We wanted the change and range of activities that a RV park would have for a vacationer. We are relocating from MS to TX area and it was extremely helpful in our choice. We also found that a good many of the active parks are on facebook and you can talk direct to ppl who have stayed or are staying there

20. boogie

boogie
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Cape Codger @ May 24 2011, 10:46 PM) [snapback]26206[/snapback]

Watch for posts on the rv park reviews site that say the location is not a destination location it may review great but what I have found is even the best parks can not necessarily be a destination location so to speak. Husband and I love to fish, kayak, walk, etc. but we didnt want a "party park" Long term RV'ers and workers are typically attracted to parks that have cheaper, all inclusive monthly rates, cable, wifi, etc. Parks that offer more outdoor attractions are typically (not always) the ones that attract more active or social types. Typically a little more pricey as vacationers vs full timers dont mind so much as they want the experience vs a place to stay. Parks that have some tent sites will attract more ppl who like to be outdoors as well. But when temps are 90+ you maybe finding most RV'ers staying inside especially in parks with limited shade :)