Leveling A Dual Axle Tt

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by n1vwd, Jun 13, 2011.

1. n1vwd

n1vwd
    Expand Collapse

I have a FunFinder X 189fds which has double axles, and I am wondering
    what other people are using to level their TT's that have double axles.I have read that you can not raise just one tire but both tires must be supported to equalize the weight of the TT.For this reason I am leaning towards wood planks instead of the plastic Lego types.This is my first TT so I have no past experiences to fall back on, so I can use your replies. Thank you all in advance.

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We have a motorhome, so I know we are not in the same situation as you, but I thought it might be helpful to tell you that we have dual wheels (not dual axle) on the back, and we use the "lego" blocks. We do put them under both wheels, never under just one. These have worked fine for us and are much easier and lighter to carry than planks.

3. MCRANE

MCRANE
    Expand Collapse

The plastic lego types are gonna be your best bet unless you are planning to level the trailer once and just leave sit for a long period. The reason I say this is if you travel around you will find that all sites will be different and you can do many different hights with a pack of leavelers. The pack will come with instuctions on how to set them up. I have a triple axel fifthwheel and use 2 packs. When you get your spot that you like , leavel side to side. This is where you will use your leavelers. After you are leavel use a chalck block. I recomend the BAL sissor type that goes in between your tires. They not only lock you from rolling but also help inside movement. Unhook from your tow vehicle and use your tounge jack to level front to back. An electric tonge jack is a great investment. When you are completly level than lower your stabilizers. Stop when you are tight. remember your stabilizers are not to level your camper just stabillize it. A socket on the end of a cordless drill makes it quick and easy. Use a regular level on yor living room floor at first. If and When you get your trailer perfect buy a pack of outside stick on leavels.

4. RV Camper1

RV Camper1
    Expand Collapse

Having leveled several trailers over the years using blocks, if you have the room for them I suggest that you make up sets of stepped blocks for leveling. I used some that were long enough for the wheels of both axles on one longer board, or set of boards. They are long but they work well.

5. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

I've got the following:

[​IMG]

They come in sets of 2 - I put them under the low side and back up until level side to side, chock then use tongue jack to level front to back.

6. JDRobar

JDRobar
    Expand Collapse

I am certainly not an expert on leveling; but, I've read that it's important to the life of the tire to make sure both tires on the same side of a dually vehicle (such as the larger sprinter rear axels) be supported equally. Otherwise, the sidewall of the tire under stress may suffer sidewall damage. Both tires must be supported equally, or some day you may suffer a blow out. :huh:

More on leveling:
    http://www.woodalls.com/articledetails.asp...ticleID=2399491

7. Wink

Wink
    Expand Collapse

I just use 2X8`s cut on a 45 degree on one end.I have three cut to where they will fit between the tires and put how many I need between the tires for the front tire and behind the rear axle and just back up on them.2X6`s worked on our last trailer but these tires are wider on the new one.

8. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

Here's a leveling job in Arizona at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

Attached Files:

9. Wink

Wink
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(nedmtnman @ Jul 7 2011, 08:15 AM) [snapback]26696[/snapback]

Here's a leveling job in Arizona at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

Looks like you were building a foundation under it :rolleyes: :D .I have only been to one place I had to do that but then I am a flat land camper most of the time. :p

10. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Wink @ Jul 7 2011, 07:16 PM) [snapback]26708[/snapback]

Looks like you were building a foundation under it :rolleyes: :D .I have only been to one place I had to do that but then I am a flat land camper most of the time. :p

LOL... it felt like I built a foundation by the time I was done. That was no easy task.