Fl. To Up

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by A.E.Michell, Jul 6, 2011.

1. A.E.Michell

A.E.Michell
    Expand Collapse

Hi! Planning a trip and wondering what it is like driving around or through Indianapolis? Going to avoid the Atlanta scene and take I65 up there. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

2. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Hi A.E.,

As with driving through or around any sizable urban area, there are too many variables to guarantee good advice. Ignoring the obvious best traffic time (late night to early morning), the best daylight driving in most urban areas is Sunday morning before noon. The times to avoid are also obvious - weekeday morning and afternoon rush hours. Other times of day (say 1PM) can be fine one day and screwed up by an accident the next. Then there is summer road construction. IN DOT or some other traffic website should be able to help you there.

If you are going in from the south on I65 and exiting going northwest on I65, I'd just stay on I65 straight through the city. Taking the I465 bypass east or west may or may not save time but it is a few more miles either way. If you are going to take US31 north from Indy, I'd take the east I465 bypass and pick up US31 north of Indy. I'm guessing this may be your route if you are heading to the UP through lower Michigan.

I'm heading that way next week and expect to be in the U.P by the end of July for about 2 weeks.

3. jojolima

jojolima
    Expand Collapse

If you do want to take the bypass, go on the East side of Indy. They are doing MAJOR construction on the West.

The bypass is approximately 8 miles. I always use the bypass because it is during the rush hour when I drive through the area on business.

Happy Trails.

4. A.E.Michell

A.E.Michell
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jojolima @ Jul 18 2011, 02:45 PM) [snapback]26830[/snapback]

If you do want to take the bypass, go on the East side of Indy. They are doing MAJOR construction on the West.

The bypass is approximately 8 miles. I always use the bypass because it is during the rush hour when I drive through the area on business.

Happy Trails.

Thank you so much..the east side of the bypass sounds good right now to me.ALL advice is appreciated.