Surge Supressor

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by pianotuna, Aug 17, 2011.

?

yes or no

1. yes

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi all,

My second attempt at a poll on this question.

2. B. Kidd

B. Kidd
    Expand Collapse

It amazes me the # of people I see in my travels that don't use them. I don't hook up without my 'Surge Guard'. They are not cheap, but are a heckuva lot cheaper then replacing circuit boards!!! ;)

3. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I spent a little extra and have the ability to lock mine to the cable as they are easily stolen in the middle of the night. My Surgeguard 50 AMP also a 2 minute sytem check when you first turn it on. I have used it hundreds of times so it only works out to be a little each time, but it only takes once to ruin the electronics on your coach. I used to check the pedestal out each time with an electronic tester, but that only tells you at that moment and offers no protection.

4. chowhound

chowhound
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Aug 18 2011, 06:18 PM) [snapback]27238[/snapback]

I spent a little extra and have the ability to lock mine to the cable as they are easily stolen in the middle of the night. My Surgeguard 50 AMP also a 2 minute sytem check when you first turn it on. I have used it hundreds of times so it only works out to be a little each time, but it only takes once to ruin the electronics on your coach. I used to check the pedestal out each time with an electronic tester, but that only tells you at that moment and offers no protection.

Lindsey - How did you "lock" it to the cable?

5. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Need a third answer:

Yes, if the post allows one.

I've been at posts where they didn't fit.

JJ

6. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(chowhound @ Aug 18 2011, 07:56 PM) [snapback]27239[/snapback]

Lindsey - How did you "lock" it to the cable?

They have a hasp. Check link below. My hasp is an older model and not this nice, but it would keep a thief away for sure. It connects the cable plug to the surge protector. See link.

http://surgeguard.com/lock_hasps.html

I have run into several pedestals that have been too low for my surge protector to be used.

7. chowhound

chowhound
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Lindsey, I will add it to my shopping list.

8. Tallboy

Tallboy
    Expand Collapse

Have had ours for almost 7 years. Have been to three parks that had electric problems and was glad we had it. It kicked out at each one of these.

We don't have a lock on ours. No one has stolen it yet.

9. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

It is interesting that there have been 372 views--but only 20 votes. Can I assume the non voters are not surge suppressor owners?

10. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I think a better assumption is that they just didn't want to vote.

11. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Hard to tell by looking around in a campground because many high end coaches come with it prewired at the inboard end of the cable.

12. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Three years ago my son lost his converter due to a lightning storm. I wasn't using a surge suppresor then, but I bought two (one for me and one for my son) so I might be better protected. I figured with all my camping I had been pretty lucky not to have had any problems. What I had been doing was checking out the electrical post for any problems, but that is not going to protect you from an electrical surge or spike. Even now I think the next step should be a voltage regulator. I have been using a voltmeter for questionable electrical sources. That certainly helped me in Baja California where I ended up not trusting any of the rv parks electrical. Now if someone would only put out a combination box that had everything needed for electrical protection.

13. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I have a surge guard for my little 26' travel trailer and I am glad I made that investment. In May of 2018 I pulled into a TVA campground in Tennessee, went through my routine of backing the trailer on to the site. Once I had the trailer positioned the way I wanted it, my next step it to hook up electrial to the power pedestal. I plug in the surge guard into 30 amp receptacle, without hooking up the other end to the trailer and flip the 30 amp breaker to on. I checked the surge guard for any faults and what do I discover, a "REVERSE GROUND" fault indicator. I reported the problem to campground maintenance and they immediately came out and rectified the problem.

14. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I'm glad the park took care of the issue quickly, Ron. But do note that this is a 7 year old thread... ;)

Paythebill likes this.
  15. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

An old thread that lists folks that have not been around for a while. Pianotuna, Lindsey and DSXMac used to be very regular around here. Where did they go?