Tires, Tires, Tires.......

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by KentuckyCampin, Aug 29, 2011.

1. KentuckyCampin

KentuckyCampin
    Expand Collapse

Ok
    I am currently driving a 2011 chevy 2500hd with the stock Firestone Transforce HT tires. I only have about 16K miles on these tires (OEM) and they have 50-40% tread left!! I tow my TT a couple times a month, and usually the trip is only 1-1.5 hours from home. Most of my driving is on the interstate and I am a conservative driver. So far the OEM tires pretty much are not wearing as would be expected. I had a set of Bridgestones on my 09 silverado and they were a good wearing tire.
    What tires are all of you using out there that you have had good luck with as far as wear, traction and noise??

2. allegro1990

allegro1990
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(KentuckyCampin @ Aug 29 2011, 11:14 AM) [snapback]27366[/snapback]

Ok
    I am currently driving a 2011 chevy 2500hd with the stock Firestone Transforce HT tires. I only have about 16K miles on these tires (OEM) and they have 50-40% tread left!! I tow my TT a couple times a month, and usually the trip is only 1-1.5 hours from home. Most of my driving is on the interstate and I am a conservative driver. So far the OEM tires pretty much are not wearing as would be expected. I had a set of Bridgestones on my 09 silverado and they were a good wearing tire.
    What tires are all of you using out there that you have had good luck with as far as wear, traction and noise??

I have had great luck with the Michilan truck tires. Yes there a little expensive but good tires. they come in various tread patterns too.

3. Meyer Camping

Meyer Camping
    Expand Collapse

I have a 2002 Yukon XL 2500 with a set of Michelin LTX tires on. I am not particularly happy with the tires. I feel they are noisy though they are wearing well. I have about 43,000 miles on them and it looks like I will get about 50,000 before I have to replace them. My prior set were Pirelli Scorpions and I was much happier with them.

What you really should do though is check out the Discount Tire website and do some research there. Take a look at the user reviews but note what kind of vehicle they are on. the Pirellis that I was so happy with got some really poor reviews but I noticed that they were all on small SUVs. On my size vehicle they received great reviews. I have found the reviews there to be as valuable as the reviews here for campgrounds.

Good luck with the tire search.

4. Hutch333id

Hutch333id
    Expand Collapse

I tow with a 2007 Ford Expedition Max (EL in the US). I changed the tyres a couple of months ago and had Pirelli Scorpions put on to replace the original set installed by Ford. At the time of the change I was a few hundred kms short of 100,000 ( approximately 60,000 miles). I found the best deals to be at my local Costco who balanced and then inflated them with nitrogen. If I recall correctly I paid about $950 for the set of four, which included tax and environmental levy, etc. They warranty the tyres for anywhere in the US and Canada and provide free rotations and nitrogen top up.

I've never had a problem with the original set and found them to be durable, capable of withstanding the Canadian winter, good for braking and steering in the wet and quiet while trundling along the highway.

5. jan-n-john

jan-n-john
    Expand Collapse

I have a Dodge 3500 that came with Michelins--it now has about 55k miles and the OEM's are still going, except one that I lost around 20k due to a sidewall blowout that was apparently caused by road junk--they did give me some allowance and I replaced it with the same tire. They are nearing the end, and I will probably replace at least two soon with BFG's, which for all intents and purposes are Michelins anyway; they say just year's technology. Fine with me.

More important question is the trailer. Most of them come with really cheap tires, mostly Chinese, and there are consistent complaints about them blowing out and damaging the trailers (5ers especially). I replaced mine (big heavy 5er) with Michelin Rib LTs, which should take care of any potential problems.

I run all 8 tires with nitrogen. Not too expensive and it seems to hold its pressure for a long time and run cool. Only drawback is it can be hard to find a place to top them up when needed.

6. Wink

Wink
    Expand Collapse

Michelin E rated on a E 350 van.I have about 52000 miles on them and still not wore out.About 1/5 to 1/4 of tread left.
    I know it will set me back some dollars but will replace with the same.After that some one else can buy when they wear out :rolleyes: