Blaming A Campground

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by The Other John Doe, Sep 4, 2011.

1. The Other John Doe

The Other John Doe
    Expand Collapse

I recently read a review by someone who blamed a campground because their flip flops were stolen from the beach and their shower caddy disappeared after they, admittedly, left it in the shower.

Seems to me this is more of a problem with your fellow campers, not the campground. To lower a campground's rating because of this is disingenuous.

When giving reviews, please keep them directly related to what the campground offers and not your disappointment in the honesty of your fellow campers.

2. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Gunship Guy @ Sep 4 2011, 06:51 AM) [snapback]27446[/snapback]

I recently read a review by someone who blamed a campground because their flip flops were stolen from the beach and their shower caddy disappeared after they, admittedly, left it in the shower.

Seems to me this is more of a problem with your fellow campers, not the campground. To lower a campground's rating because of this is disingenuous.

When giving reviews, please keep them directly related to what the campground offers and not your disappointment in the honesty of your fellow campers.

The ones I like are the ones complaining about dog doo everywhere. Who created that? I work in campgrounds on occasion and it is not a pleasant experience cleaning up behind someones dog. Most people are considerate and pick up after their pet.

3. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

Just some "devil's advocacy". Many reviews, in addition to rating physical facilities apply rating criteria to the campground "experience". If management is surly or camp workers yell at children reviewers downgrade ratings. If the speed limit is not adhered to, the roads are full of golf carts driven by ten year olds, leash laws and quiet times are not enforced the ratings likely will be down graded. IMO if my experience included the theft of my property I would certainly say so in the review and would report it to the ranger/office. Businesses, especially lodging businesses, control their guests behavior by rates, rules and their enforcement, and the atmosphere they create. JMHO

4. kcmoedoe

kcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(joez @ Sep 4 2011, 08:44 AM) [snapback]27448[/snapback]

Just some "devil's advocacy". Many reviews, in addition to rating physical facilities apply rating criteria to the campground "experience". If management is surly or camp workers yell at children reviewers downgrade ratings. If the speed limit is not adhered to, the roads are full of golf carts driven by ten year olds, leash laws and quiet times are not enforced the ratings likely will be down graded. IMO if my experience included the theft of my property I would certainly say so in the review and would report it to the ranger/office. Businesses, especially lodging businesses, control their guests behavior by rates, rules and their enforcement, and the atmosphere they create. JMHO

I appreciate it when the park employees yell at children if the parents aren't going to do it. Theft, I would report if I thought the park bore some responsibility, like there were cars driving thru there was no security and my rig was broken into. But I wouldn't say anything if I left something valuable unattended and it disappeared, that is my fault. Leave a $500.00 camera wrapped in 100 dollar bills on a table in the lobby of the Ritz, it will be gone and the hotel won't be responsible. I try to rate parks on two levels. First, does everything work, is it clean and well maintained. Secondly, how does it stack up to parks in similar situations. By that I mean a luxury resort park, that is $100.00 a night, with lots of amenities in a resort area will be rated at a different standard than an overnight stop in central Kansas. If a park delivers what I expect it to deliver it will get a high mark, fail to deliver what I expect and get a low score.

5. acampingfan

acampingfan
    Expand Collapse

Have to agree with the OP....as much as we'd like an RV Park to be "all seeing and all doing" they cant control the behavior of all those staying at there Park. There are inconsiderate, theiving individuals and downright criminal behavior at all socio-economic levels so no matter the Parking space choosen be it a City, County, State Park or the most lavish Resort...some things you have to take responsibility for. Of course I see Ratings suffer because there Cell phone didnt have 4 bars!! Oh well.

6. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

I wonder if the person bothered to ask at the office if the stuff had been turned in. When I clean our bathrooms I often find things there and put them in the office for someone to claim. It is not the responsibility of the campground staff to knock on camper doors asking if you left something lying around.

7. Fixn2gocamp

Fixn2gocamp
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(dalsgal @ Sep 4 2011, 06:12 PM) [snapback]27456[/snapback]

I wonder if the person bothered to ask at the office if the stuff had been turned in. When I clean our bathrooms I often find things there and put them in the office for someone to claim. It is not the responsibility of the campground staff to knock on camper doors asking if you left something lying around.

Dalsgal; This hits the nail on the head!! If you left something, check with the shower cleaning staff or office. That's your fault. Grow up, assume responsibility and if you mess up, get over it. It's a public campground, not your personal bavk yard to leave things laying around. I don't use CG showers or (usually) restrooms, but if I found something, I would turn it in to the staff...as a park host, I have found numerous items, but if I find one shoe laying on the beach, and there is no one around, it goes in the can. If I find a jacket, or pocket knife, it goes to the office. (Can't speak for the shower items, we don't do bathrooms ;) )

8. dodge guy

dodge guy
    Expand Collapse

I agree! it`s the same as saying the fly`s were terrible, or there were to many mosquitoe`s!

9. BriBri

BriBri
    Expand Collapse

It seems like a general trend in today's society that people want to blame everyone else except themselves for their own mistakes or problems. It shows a lack of maturity and honesty. Unfortunately, those people can do much reputational damage to campgrounds (or other vendors/companies, for that matter), as unaware prospective patrons may avoid a particular campground based on the irritated person's review (particularly if the person's review is not justified or is outright false).

But....You cannot change some people's disposition.

10. RFCN2

RFCN2
    Expand Collapse

I find the reviews in this web site to be very accurate and helpful when traveling by rv. In general I think they are more useful than the big books report. But you have to look at several ratings to get a general picture of what to expect. Same as when getting the news.

I do think things like dog poo, flies, mosquitoes, cell phone service, ambient noise level, ability to use sat dishes should figure in to the ratings.

11. chowhound

chowhound
    Expand Collapse

I agree! it`s the same as saying the fly`s were terrible, or there were to many mosquitoe`s!

12. JDRobar

JDRobar
    Expand Collapse

Chowhound, I believe you have made a valid point. While it is not a problem that the CG can be held accountable for, let's not feel like we can't mention it.

I understand the ideas that earlier posters were making, in that the owner can do nothing about some issues, and that sometimes we need to take responsibility for our own actions; but on the other hand, we all make mistakes and it is valid to suggest that maybe an improper action was taken which might have aleviated the issue.

Those that look at the reviews should read between the lines. If a reviewer has really pasted a camp ground owner, and few other are, maybe the owner had a bad day or possibly there was a conflict between the two individuals.

Most of the time on the web, we see an unusual abundance of negative comments when people review products. It is a way of venting for a motivated individual. I have to wonder how many people are as motivated when they receive the expected experience.

This web site is probably somewhat of an exception, as loyal members want it to remain a good source of information for their own purposes, and the product being reviewed is so varied in the execution of its task.

I would encourage people to look at more than just the three last reviews, and look at the trend of reviews more.

13. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

I can't blame a campground because it rains, but I can blame them if they know they have a drainage problem and they don't do anything about it. The rv park we're in right now has a terrible problem. The mud at our site is ankle deep. I complained to a park worker and he said that, yes, he agreed that a lot of gravel is badly needed, but the park won't go for it. That'll be one park we won't be back to.

14. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

I just read a review that gave the campground a 3 rating because there was nothing to do in the area. No description of the campground and no problems mentioned either other than the lack of things to do near the campground. I can understand that they might mention that information in their comments but I don't see the justification for giving the CG such a low rating.

15. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

dalsgal,

Look at the review again. The other review is on KOA in Sioux Falls, SD.

16. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

John, that post must have been edited because I had the message screen up as well as the review screen and what I typed was what was there last night. I still see no reason for the score they gave the campground unless the CG claimed to have lots to do.

17. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(dalsgal @ Sep 21 2011, 01:39 PM) [snapback]27654[/snapback]

John, that post must have been edited because I had the message screen up as well as the review screen and what I typed was what was there last night. I still see no reason for the score they gave the campground unless the CG claimed to have lots to do.

I went looking for it after your post, and I saw the 3 also.

18. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

The 3 was correct but was updated by admin due to incorrect rating. Was not fair to the park owner.

19. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ Sep 21 2011, 05:26 PM) [snapback]27658[/snapback]

The 3 was correct but was updated by admin due to incorrect rating. Was not fair to the park owner.

Did the reviewer say to change it? IF admins can change a reviewer's score, I don't think the reviews are going to be worth anything. Better if you just didn't post a review that you think is incorrect instead of changing scores. If you think the score of 3 is unjustified because of lack of information, then tell the reviewer to redo it.

20. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(HappiestCamper @ Sep 22 2011, 07:27 AM) [snapback]27661[/snapback]

Did the reviewer say to change it? IF admins can change a reviewer's score, I don't think the reviews are going to be worth anything. Better if you just didn't post a review that you think is incorrect instead of changing scores. If you think the score of 3 is unjustified because of lack of information, then tell the reviewer to redo it.

I agree with that. Since there was nothing really said against the campground itself, other than being located where where there is nothing to do, any negative rating seems unjustified. The same poster gave 3 stars to a KOA that they basically said everything was okay at. I think they are just extremely hard to please.