Truck Stops

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by jmcf46, Sep 5, 2011.

1. jmcf46

jmcf46
    Expand Collapse

Do truck stops allow you to park overnight? It seems it would be good for the truckstop to allow it.

2. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

Some, like Flying J usually have spots out front for overnight RV's. A few will allow you to park in the back with the trucks if they have plenty of room. We did get asked to leave one in the middle of the night even though we had bought a couple hundred dollars worth of fuel. It's always good to make a decent purchase at one if you do stay there

3. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

I am using truckstop every winter going down to Florida end return in April, wes top between trucks and we go to eat to the restaurant plus fill up the truck tank.
    We never had problems

4. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

We use truck stops as a last resort for a free spot. Usually pretty noisy which might bother some folks. Generally, truckers are not too fond of RVers anyway.

5. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Sep 6 2011, 07:39 AM) [snapback]27487[/snapback]

We use truck stops as a last resort for a free spot. Usually pretty noisy which might bother some folks. Generally, truckers are not too fond of RVers anyway.

Well, in 8 years that I am going back and forth and spending the overnight at the truck stop, I never had a problem, yes it is noisy because they keep the motor running but it is some thing that I can manage in exchange to the security you get by being in a group.
    Furthermore, in several occasions I chat with the truck drivers and they are always been very nice to me, may it depends about the attitude in approaching them

6. BriBri

BriBri
    Expand Collapse

Truck stops are an excellent place to stop over for the night. The amenities at places like Pilot/Flying J and TravelCenters of America are great for RVers, as they stock stuff we might need for our rigs. Plus, some of their restaurants are great, cheap eats when on-the-go.

While my family never overnighted at a truck stop, we often take advantage of them (for fuel, food, etc.) if they are on our route. One of the best purchases I ever made at a truck stop (I believe it was a Pilot) was a trucker's atlas. The maps are great and provide routes most accessible/convenient for those with larger rigs.

Once in a while, if I'm near a tractor/trailer or a trucker (e.g., when fueling up or eating in the restaurant), I'll strike up a conversation with the trucker as, personally, I am fascinated by life 'on the road'.

7. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

Our experience has been that truck stops are not an excellent place to stop, but rather a last resort. They are noisy. There will always be some truck drivers who do not believe rvs should be in "their" space, and a few are vocal about it. We have had drivers pull next to us leaving less than 2" between their trailer and our motorhome wall. On purpose? Who knows. We were in a truck stop in the midwest when a truck ran into a slide that was out to use the bed. The slide edge was still within the plane of the marked parking slot. Accident? Who knows. We subscribe now to the out at 9, stop at 2 philosophy so it has been a couple of years since we have overnighted at truck stops or rest areas so maybe this information is dated. As for us, however, if we wanted to overnight for a few hours we would probably find a big box parking lot.

8. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(joez @ Sep 7 2011, 08:28 AM) [snapback]27507[/snapback]

Our experience has been that truck stops are not an excellent place to stop, but rather a last resort. They are noisy. There will always be some truck drivers who do not believe rvs should be in "their" space, and a few are vocal about it. than 2" between their trailer and our motorhome wall. On purpose? Who knows. We were in aWe have had drivers pull next to us leaving less truck stop in the midwest when a truck ran into a slide that was out to use the bed. The slide edge was still within the plane of the marked parking slot. Accident? Who knows. We subscribe now to the out at 9, stop at 2 philosophy so it has been a couple of years since we have overnighted at truck stops or rest areas so maybe this information is dated. As for us, however, if we wanted to overnight for a few hours we would probably find a big box parking lot.

Joez, I see what you mean but this is more an individual than the majority with this behaviour, you have to expect to find a rude person and I would stand to him/her because the place is called TRUCKSTOP but I have never seen ONLY FOR TRUCK DRIVER; having said that you have the right to go and complain with the administration.
    Notwithstanding what happened to you, I never had problems, yes , I agree, the place is rather noisy but that's the trade for not paying for the night and being in a safe place.

9. BriBri

BriBri
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Galli @ Sep 7 2011, 12:09 PM) [snapback]27510[/snapback]

Joez, I see what you mean but this is more an individual than the majority with this behaviour, you have to expect to find a rude person and I would stand to him/her because the place is called TRUCKSTOP but I have never seen ONLY FOR TRUCK DRIVER; having said that you have the right to go and complain with the administration.
    Notwithstanding what happened to you, I never had problems, yes , I agree, the place is rather noisy but that's the trade for not paying for the night and being in a safe place.

It is definitely a case-by-case situation. I have found that the old adage "Kill them with kindness" works for me almost all of the time. If I come across an owner/operator with a nice tractor (truck), I'll immediately compliment him on his rig. This seems to soften 'em up a bit.

Buying him a cup of coffee doesn't hurt either - most truckers don't make that much money. I've only done this once (so far): I was at a large truckstop, parked next to a tractor/trailer and my wife and daughter were in the store looking around. The driver of the tractor/trailer appeared to be fixing something behind cab area (something with the trailer connection cables, I think). I said "Nice rig!" (it was an interesting dark purple color, and the chrome was very clean), and I casually asked him if I could give him a hand with anything, and he said he is all set. I then asked him if I could get him a cup of coffee, as I was heading into the store to get one for myself, and I had a while to hang around as my wife tends to be a 'lingerer' in stores. He said "Sure! Thanks alot!". When I came back out, I spent about 10 or 15 minutes talking to him about life on the road as a trucker (he apparently didn't like alot of the recent transportation regulations that had come out - hours of service and that kind of thing).

To make a long story short, you get some nice ones and some grumpy ones. Truckers could be a valuable resource though for 'long-haul' RVers: They drive the highways and byways everyday, and if they've been where you're going they could provide some valuable driving tips (e.g., how to avoid traffic, which roads to stay off, shortcuts, etc.).

10. Sundevil

Sundevil
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(BriBri @ Sep 7 2011, 03:50 PM) [snapback]27516[/snapback]

It is definitely a case-by-case situation. I have found that the old adage "Kill them with kindness" works for me almost all of the time. If I come across an owner/operator with a nice tractor (truck), I'll immediately compliment him on his rig. This seems to soften 'em up a bit.

Buying him a cup of coffee doesn't hurt either - most truckers don't make that much money. I've only done this once (so far): I was at a large truckstop, parked next to a tractor/trailer and my wife and daughter were in the store looking around. The driver of the tractor/trailer appeared to be fixing something behind cab area (something with the trailer connection cables, I think). I said "Nice rig!" (it was an interesting dark purple color, and the chrome was very clean), and I casually asked him if I could give him a hand with anything, and he said he is all set. I then asked him if I could get him a cup of coffee, as I was heading into the store to get one for myself, and I had a while to hang around as my wife tends to be a 'lingerer' in stores. He said "Sure! Thanks alot!". When I came back out, I spent about 10 or 15 minutes talking to him about life on the road as a trucker (he apparently didn't like alot of the recent transportation regulations that had come out - hours of service and that kind of thing).

To make a long story short, you get some nice ones and some grumpy ones. Truckers could be a valuable resource though for 'long-haul' RVers: They drive the highways and byways everyday, and if they've been where you're going they could provide some valuable driving tips (e.g., how to avoid traffic, which roads to stay off, shortcuts, etc.).

11. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Galli @ Sep 7 2011, 09:09 AM) [snapback]27510[/snapback]

Hi BRIBRI, you should go in politic, it appears that you know how to rub it in without pain he, he,he

12. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

A good friend of my wife's has a boyfriend who is a long haul trucker and has told me that generally truckers don't really like RV's because they make them "back off" the gas many times. Many states have no trucks in the left lane of 3 lanes (each way) expressway, so the middle lane is their fast lane. RV'er sometimes go slower than the speed limit or their "governor" speed in the middle lane and they have to work their way around them to get back to their "governor" speed. They pay a lot of taxes and think they have more "rights" than us. If you listen to the CB, you can also hear complaining. I think many truckers are RV'ers or want to be RV'ers when they retire. We sometimes get in a conversation with a trucker in a truck stop dinner and they are generally nice. Different seeing a real person than an inanimate vehicle. We have had trucker come up to us in rest stops and talk RV stuff.

13. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

And the best thing about truck stops are the hard working "ladies" and "gentlemen" going from truck to truck. Fun to explain that behavior to grand kids.

14. MCRANE

MCRANE
    Expand Collapse

Most truck drivers have no problem with rvs . I will tell you how to piss off a driver though is when you get a free nights stay either at a walmart or a truckstop and then have the nerve to complain about the truck noise. Remember you are rving for fun and common sense should tell you not to hold up a working man. Just like holding up the middle lane. That big truck has somewhere to be. Being a professional driver is hard enough job without some old guy who never drove anything but a small car retiring with a buss and no real training getting in his way and acting stupid.

15. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(MCRANE @ Sep 16 2011, 10:40 PM) [snapback]27600[/snapback]

Most truck drivers have no problem with rvs . I will tell you how to piss off a driver though is when you get a free nights stay either at a walmart or a truckstop and then have the nerve to complain about the truck noise. Remember you are rving for fun and common sense should tell you not to hold up a working man. Just like holding up the middle lane. That big truck has somewhere to be. Being a professional driver is hard enough job without some old guy who never drove anything but a small car retiring with a buss and no real training getting in his way and acting stupid.

MCRANE, I was afraid of this situation, once I was in my way to Florida , overnight at a truck stop and a guy with a small RV was arguing with a truck driver because his motor/generator or ???was too loud and he could not sleep.
    MCRANE, yes it was bad thing but, think that, instead of the RVer, you had your mother in law there complaining and you could not even send her to hell ha, ha,ha.
    I apology, I am a bad guy

16. Traveling man

Traveling man
    Expand Collapse

I've used a truck stop only once or twice, and a rest stop a few times over the years- mostly when trying to get somewhere as soon as possible, so driving till fairly late at night. The truck stops had plenty of space, and I did not have any problems. When I thought about the noise I said "hey, it's free".

I've never stopped overnight at a Walmart, but it must be fun....lots of lawn chairs and barbecue's on the lot to use, even little swimming pools you can fill if you have grandchildren! Of course you have to use the adapter when unplugging the coke machine for your power source. Just kidding folks!!! :p

17. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Keep in mind that the Flying-J will let you park with truck in most places. The TA could block you from parking with trucks in a lot of stops but OK to park in front of store. We see this at lots of TA truck pumps. Some small truck stops will also block you out.

18. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(joez @ Sep 9 2011, 01:50 PM) [snapback]27541[/snapback]

And the best thing about truck stops are the hard working "ladies" and "gentlemen" going from truck to truck. Fun to explain that behavior to grand kids.

Um, they are delivering coffee? :p :p You mean there are now "gentlemen" doing this too? ooooooo-KAY....

19. MCRANE

MCRANE
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(joez @ Sep 9 2011, 04:50 PM) [snapback]27541[/snapback]

If Joez would shut the curtains and quit peeking out the Windows , those lot lizzards would quit hanging around his rv. Lol

20. campergal

campergal
    Expand Collapse

My husband was a trucker and one challenge he said would come up is that truckers are not allowed to stop at a lot of places (now, this is primarily Canada) so they need the truckstops and if they get to one that is filled and there are RVs in there that's makes it difficult for the trucker. I'm guessing it might not be as much an issue in the States but was an issue in Canada.