Dealing With Campfire Smoke

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by JDRobar, Sep 29, 2011.

1. JDRobar

JDRobar
    Expand Collapse

I really wish this site would start providing information about whether or not the campground allow wood fires. Ok, to be certain some of do like to have a fire, and then there are others of us that would rather not deal with the smoke coming into our RVs.

Does someone, ah say, does someone have a way of dealing with smoke coming into their vehicle when others are roasting their marshmallows ? I can't find a HEPA filter that'll fit my window.

Pew-eee, it hurts my beak !

I'm not saying you can't do your smores, just would be nice to be upwind or not around.

2. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

I would think that since it is uncommon that a campground would not allow campfires, it would be prominently visible on the campground's website and in the rules.

3. chowhound

chowhound
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(JDRobar @ Sep 29 2011, 11:32 PM) [snapback]27750[/snapback]

I really wish this site would start providing information about whether or not the campground allow wood fires. Ok, to be certain some of do like to have a fire, and then there are others of us that would rather not deal with the smoke coming into our RVs.

Does someone, ah say, does someone have a way of dealing with smoke coming into their vehicle when others are roasting their marshmallows ? I can't find a HEPA filter that'll fit my window.

Pew-eee, it hurts my beak !

I'm not saying you can't do your smores, just would be nice to be upwind or not around.

You need to become a winter Texan this year JD. With the drought down here, all outdoor fires are banned in 249 of our 252 counties. We have to resort to a propane torch to roast marshmallows.

4. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

In general, the more upscale "resorty" and adult oriented an rv park is the better your chances that campfires will not be allowed or most people staying will not light them. Parks where the majority of sites are occupied with workers will have fewer campfires - occupants will not be there on vacation. If you are staying somewhere during the week when kids are in school, there will be fewer campfires. Campgrounds/rv parks in short season areas tend, also, to attract families on vacation with campfires a natural part of that process. If you want to stay in state/federal campgrounds or in the woods anywhere expect fires and kids. We have been in 6 different rv parks in the last 2 months and there were no fire rings/no campfires. This includes 2 long term stay working resident parks and 4 upscale adult facilities. Good luck.

5. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

JD,

There was a previous thread in this section of the forum called "Light My Fire". The last post to this thread was 10/4/10 and is currently on page 4 of the RV Park Discussions. There may be some comment in the thread of interest to you concerning your original post. There were 58 posts in this previous thread about the pros and cons of campfires. I didn't look at all the posts in this thread but there may may be some comments that you will find relevant to you query.

6. Tallboy

Tallboy
    Expand Collapse

The only way I have found to campfire smoke coming into our trailer is to close all the windows and turn on the A/C.

7. tworootless

tworootless
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Nolan @ Oct 1 2011, 08:47 AM) [snapback]27773[/snapback]

The only way I have found to campfire smoke coming into our trailer is to close all the windows and turn on the A/C.

Ditto ;)

8. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

Generally, I just move my chair or close the windows on the effected side of the RV in this situation. It is not unlike my tolerance of a neighbor who unintentionally mows his lawn while I’m trying to have a peaceful moment in my backyard. His right, need, and enjoyment of mowing the lawn may be greater than my wish for solitude.

I will second Jerry’s suggestion about viewing other comments.

Please understand that I am not being disrespectful of your concern, but the old cliché that you can’t please everyone all of the time comes to mind. If this website addressed everyone’s pet peeve (and I have some of my own) then it would dilute the basic intention of giving the basic facts for us to make our own decision.

depguy likes this.
  9. Desertthorn

Desertthorn
    Expand Collapse

I haven't seen a lot of campfires at private RV parks but if you go to State or National or even county parks, its part of the ambiance and a part of camping. LOL, we go dry camping with friends every year and a good fire is just a part of the festivities. Smoke seems to circle around and get everyone and we spend our time playing musical chairs trying to get out of it. Thats part of the fun also.

10. JDRobar

JDRobar
    Expand Collapse

No offense tak, ah say, No Offense taken on any of the replies. I was just wondering if there was some solution I'm not aware of. I'll check out that other thread.