Camping In October

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Camper64, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Camper64

Camper64
    Expand Collapse

New RV owners from Kingston Ontario Canada.
    We would like to go out one more time before winterizing the trailer but it's getting late in the season. I'm thinking of going somewhere north eastern New York but unsure which campground.
    My main concerns (being unexperienced) are low overpass/bridges and campgrounds that are mostly empty. That creeps me out for some reason.

Any idea?

2. hoefler

hoefler
    Expand Collapse

Rand McNally has a trucker's version of their road atlas. It shows restricted highways, overpass clearances, and whole bunch of other information. If you have a GPS, go to http://www.lowclearances.com/, you might consider down loading their low clearances POI.

3. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

You might try Wellesly Island State Park. It is on the St Lawrence River, just across the first span of the Rt 81 bridge into NY from Canada. You can make a reservation at www.reserveamerica.com . I think they are open all year,but with the water turned off. It's a very nice campground with some nice views of the river. Near by boat rides, on the river, in Clayton and Alexandria Bay, NY.
    You can also check around Lake George area. Quite a few campgrounds in that area.
    We have been to both places and didn't have any problems with low bridges.