Replacement Keys For Rv

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Jerry S, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Hi Everybody,

Here's my dumb question of the day: Where do you get replacement keys for the RV house doors?

After having a "missing set of keys" scare, I've tried getting a backup set of keys made. The ignition key was no problem, but neither the Walmart or Ace I tried in Marksville, LA could duplicate my 2 (one is for a deadbolt) door keys for the side entry door to the RV or the outside compartment key. I have a 2008 Winnebago Access. I hope I don't have to go back to the dealer (Camping World in northern IL) or the manufacturer (Winnebago is in Iowa).

Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks.

2. RFCN2

RFCN2
    Expand Collapse

Strange as my local hardware store made both door and deadbolt keys for our country coach. Try another hardware store or locksmith.

3. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

We recently lost one set of motorhome keys (all except ignition). Called the manufacturer (Tiffin) with the VIN. They mailed replacements to me the next morning. Cost was like $1.50 each or near that. Easy, fast, no hassle.

HarleyMom likes this.
  4. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

I went to an rv dealer and got a blank, not my Cedar Creek dealer. Any hardware store can cut it with the right blank.
    As the others have said, the mfg should be able to mail you either a blank or a replacement key.

5. willranless

willranless
    Expand Collapse

Most locksmiths should be able to make replacement keys, even if there is no key available to duplicate from. Also, believe it not, practically anyone can order "Master" keys for most brands of RV locks right off the internet, although most say they won't open the dead bolt (not a very comforting thought even so). We had one lady at our park that managed to lock herself out of her camper three times in one day, then once again the following day. In her case, a small young man was able to gain entry into the camper by crawling in through a cargo bay and coming up under the bed. (Once again, not a very comforting thought when it comes to security).

6. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Oct 12 2011, 09:06 PM) [snapback]27876[/snapback]

Hi Everybody,

Here's my dumb question of the day: Where do you get replacement keys for the RV house doors?

After having a "missing set of keys" scare, I've tried getting a backup set of keys made. The ignition key was no problem, but neither the Walmart or Ace I tried in Marksville, LA could duplicate my 2 (one is for a deadbolt) door keys for the side entry door to the RV or the outside compartment key. I have a 2008 Winnebago Access. I hope I don't have to go back to the dealer (Camping World in northern IL) or the manufacturer (Winnebago is in Iowa).

Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks.

If going to the manufacturer won't work you can try These folks. As others have said, rv keys are not particularly unique or hard to duplicate. Locking them is really just keeping basically honest people from an impulsive mistake.

7. Tallboy

Tallboy
    Expand Collapse

I had the same problem. Local hardware store tried cutting two different keys and they won't work. Ended up going to a locksmith and he didn't have any problems.

8. B. Kidd

B. Kidd
    Expand Collapse

All good tips here.
    I would just like to add that if you RV often enough and have decent 24 hour RV Emergency Road Service coverage, most of them cover 'lock-out' problems.

9. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for all the suggestions. Winnebago responded to my e-mail query by saying I could get them replaced at any authorized Winnebago dealer. From checking their dealer locator, I see at least one dealer on my planned route from Louisiana to the Grand Canyon next week just off I40 south of OKC. At only 10mpg at best, I certainly don't want to drive miles out of my way to get $5 worth of keys. I guess the Walmart and Ace Hardware here in Marksville, LA just did not have the right "blanks".

10. Frank Henn

Frank Henn
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Oct 13 2011, 11:08 PM) [snapback]27896[/snapback]

Thanks for all the suggestions. Winnebago responded to my e-mail query by saying I could get them replaced at any authorized Winnebago dealer. From checking their dealer locator, I see at least one dealer on my planned route from Louisiana to the Grand Canyon next week just off I40 south of OKC. At only 10mpg at best, I certainly don't want to drive miles out of my way to get $5 worth of keys. I guess the Walmart and Ace Hardware here in Marksville, LA just did not have the right "blanks".