Driving The Rv At Night

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by mdcamping, Oct 18, 2011.

1. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

My last trip this year we were expecting to get at our campground in NH 1 hr before dusk...well low and behold the highway got shut down do to an accident on our way up causing us to be a good 2 hrs late. With that said the past few years I've been finding it increasing difficult to see during the night. Needles to say as the sun set and daylight despaired I missed the side road to the campground (couldn't see the road, lost 15 minutes) and while at the campground was an absolute nightmare trying to see the campground roads and getting to our camp site.

I've had my eyes checked, been told it's just do to age...but I think now I've totally given up on towing anytime CLOSE to dark.

Any one else avoiding this for similar reasons?

Mike

Uncledave54 likes this.
  2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Mike,

Yes, all older people have this problem but may not know they have an eye problem. We try not to drive at night if we can get out of it. We stop around 2:00 or 3:00 pm in a park. The link below is only one web link. Google is full of information on this subject. This problem is very common as we all age out.

http://www.allaboutvision.com/over40/night-driving.htm

3. Iceman567

Iceman567
    Expand Collapse

We try to be at a park before dusk. It's just nice to get set up, relax, have some dinner. In years past we were always on a time schedule to get somewhere (spring break, christmas). Now that we have time on our hands, we try to take our time.

I took a 55+ driving class this summer and the instructor did mention that as we get older our night time vision gets poorer. Another reason I choose not to drive the MH after dark.

4. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

My night vision has gotten pretty bad. I don't even drive a car after dark unless I just have to. As far as motorhome travel, we have always planned to get to our nightly RV park before dark. But as you have experienced, delays happen, so now we try to be at our destination at least 2 hours before sundown. That is usually around 3pm, and actually we stick to this schedule even in the summer when it is light much later. This also gives us time to check out the park (for writing reviews here) and to see anything interesting that may be in the area, and it gives us a pretty good cushion if there is a delay.

5. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

Put me in the no driving after dark unless I have to camp. When we are traveling we try to adhere to the out by 9 stop by 3 rule. If you are towing, at least you are driving something, probably, with decent night illumination. Motorhome headlights are notoriously lacking in how they illuminate the road. Those of us a little long in the tooth get a double whammy with motorhomes. Our night vision is not what it used to be and we are driving a vehicle with less than optimal headlight illumintion.

6. edcornflake

edcornflake
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Oct 19 2011, 12:12 AM) [snapback]27947[/snapback]

My night vision has gotten pretty bad. I don't even drive a car after dark unless I just have to.

I'm not yet 40 and I find driving in the dark increasingly difficult. I always try to get to the park before dark now.

7. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

In over 50,000 miles of RV driving, we have driven at night only several times and each time our stop was at a Wal-Mart which is easy at night. The reasons for these stops was a family emergency and we drove from Bangor, Maine to Central Florida in 4 1/2 days. I remember being surprised that the dash lights were red. I'd say our average stopping time is about 4 PM or before.

8. B. Kidd

B. Kidd
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(joez @ Oct 19 2011, 06:57 AM) [snapback]27948[/snapback]

Put me in the no driving after dark unless I have to camp. When we are traveling we try to adhere to the out by 9 stop by 3 rule. If you are towing, at least you are driving something, probably, with decent night illumination. Motorhome headlights are notoriously lacking in how they illuminate the road. Those of us a little long in the tooth get a double whammy with motorhomes. Our night vision is not what it used to be and we are driving a vehicle with less than optimal headlight illumintion.

We try to adhere to the 9 to 3 rule too. In addition to the factors you have mentioned, throw in 5 per cent window tint like I have, and night driving can turn into a real rodeo circus... :eek: .

9. hoefler

hoefler
    Expand Collapse

One thing to check as well, is the aim on your headlights. Headlights are aimed when your tow vehicle is unloaded. When hooked to a trailer, it will change. Have them aimed when hooked to your trailer, or have the tech aiming them compensate for the load. And on your motor homes, they should be checked loaded as well. Have them checked for proper aiming periodicaly, as with anything in an RV, things vibrate out of adjustment or become loose.

VW_Vista likes this.
  10. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

You can also get the new halogen lights. They are a great deal brighter. My son has them in his car and dodge 3500. They really brighten up the road. Word of caution, in some states they are illegal. They are to bright. You really need to have these things aimed right. Here is a link to one type.
    http://www.brightheadlights.com/ I just checked out the prices. WOW, I didn't know.

11. Tallboy

Tallboy
    Expand Collapse

I don't have any problems driving at night. However I don't like to do it. Plus don't want to come into a campground after dark. Just as well stay in a Wal-Mart or some place else parking lot.

12. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Yeah this was the first time I remember towing and pulling into a campground that late at night, usually like to have a good two hrs of daylight left when pulling in but DW was getting out late from work and hoped we wouldn't run into any traffic problems.

It's good to "see" I'm in good company with this problem! :p

Mike

13. Wink

Wink
    Expand Collapse

I don`t mine driving at night.But spent most of my life working at night.I don`t like setting up at night but will pull at night if going home and want to make time. Will get to a camp ground late if I have been there before and know where I am going. As for seeing I don`t have any trouble at night I just turned 67 but as said have always been a night owl. :)

14. bipeflier

bipeflier
    Expand Collapse

If you wear glasses get rid of the ones that darken in sunlight. They do not return to clear but keep some tint even in the dark.

Get a clear, untinted pair to wear at night and sunglasses during the day.

Helped me a ton!!

15. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(mdcamping @ Oct 18 2011, 07:54 PM) [snapback]27944[/snapback]

Any one else avoiding this for similar reasons?

No problems driving our cars or truck at night.
    Driving the RV at night is no fun.
    We've done it, generally on that last leg of the trip, when you just want to get home.

But in new territory: oooo boy. Just asking for unintended drama.
    It's no fun setting up in the dark either.
    :ph34r:

16. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Well I did it again. We got a late start to a campground that I thought would be 1 1/2 hrs turned into much longer. So again I pulled into a campground with no daylight. Found it Very tough to navigate through the campground, got lost, we made several loops before finding our site. Very stressful. The good news we had a pull through which helped out a lot.
    Did I say I wasn't going to do this again... :rolleyes:

Mike

17. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

After having cataract surgery earlier this year, my night vision has improved considerably. I'm sure it's still not what it was 50 years ago when I was 21, but it's nice to be able to drive much more safely at night when necessary.

18. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

I don't think I ever drove pulling at night. I am 74 and my night vision has diminished but I can still see.

When we traveled full time we would leave the Park around 10 am after having breakfast and my getting all the stuff disconnected and stowed. Then lunch around 11 to noon. We would stop for the evening around 3 to 4 pm so I could get hooked up to the utilities and get the satellite dish up. Then dinner around 5 and walk the cats if they wanted to go out and watch tv for the evening. This involved only going about 150 miles a day.

19. Happy Camper X2

Happy Camper X2
    Expand Collapse

Hey Mike, I don't mind driving at night unless it is raining but I do like to at least be in the site before dark although this time of year it can be hard to do. We took Friday off this week so we can set up for vacation in daylight, last year it was dark and setting up for the week could have gone better.

20. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Ouounfo,,te name='GaryWT' date='Sep 21 2014, 01:05 PM' post='38391']
    Hey Mike, I don't mind driving at night unless it is raining but I do like to at least be in the site before dark although this time of year it can be hard to do. We took Friday off this week so we can set up for vacation in daylight, last year it was dark and setting up for the week could have gone better.
    [/quote]
    Gary, the only good part was we just got both our phones upgraded so we had our Google navigation to help us get to the campground, it was a good thing too. rte 108 going to the campground was all sharp turns and intersections.

Mike