Running Water Through A Garden Hose....

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by DXSMac, Oct 25, 2011.

1. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I'm staying at a friend's house in Georgia. I needed to refill my water tank, but couldn't reach his water faucet with my hose. He suggested his garden hose. HORROR!

Well, I used it anyway, I put the RV water filter between his hose and my hose, but I'm still thinking....... he could have run all kinds of crap through that garden hose and my filter won't stop it.

I think I need to purchase a new water hose and sanitize my tank, what do you all think?

JJ

2. B. Kidd

B. Kidd
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Oct 25 2011, 03:35 PM) [snapback]28009[/snapback]

I'm staying at a friend's house in Georgia. I needed to refill my water tank, but couldn't reach his water faucet with my hose. He suggested his garden hose. HORROR!

Well, I used it anyway, I put the RV water filter between his hose and my hose, but I'm still thinking....... he could have run all kinds of crap through that garden hose and my filter won't stop it.

I think I need to purchase a new water hose and sanitize my tank, what do you all think?

JJ

If you thought he could've run all kinds of 'stuff' through his garden hose, well, he DID!
    Get a new water hose and sanitize your fresh water system, at least twice!
    On second thought, you might want to do it a 3rd time......... :D .

3. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I remember when I was a kid drinking water from the outside hose & water spigot... have the times changed.... :rolleyes:

Mike

4. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

he could have run all kinds of crap through that garden hose and my filter won't stop it.

Other than water what would a person run through a garden hose? We all should use a potable water hose because others may have plasticizers (some with heavy metals) that can leach into water. There is really not much risk of contaminating a system with water flowing through a hose at a good rate, unless the hose was used for pumping manure or something.

If you are worried about it, by all means sanitize the system. If you have already had a drink from it I would not worry about it. I, too, remember drinking from the hose in the summertime.

5. jan-n-john

jan-n-john
    Expand Collapse

I assume this thread is serious and not tongue-in-cheek, possibly a dangerous assumption.

I just think that this to-do about hoses has been a little overdone. Yes, it's better not to drink water that has been standing in a hose for a while. But if you flush the hose and then use water that has only passed through it from the tap, it's hard for me to grasp how that water can pick up any materially harmful quantity of chemicals that quickly. Let's be serious--there is all kinds of stuff floating around in the atmosphere, starting with the effluent from coal-fired power plants for example. While it's not good, I don't see folks dropping like flies. It takes lots of exposure to add up to something to worry about. Whatever the hose adds to what we're getting already, I just don't see it as being enough to get obsessive about.

JMHO

6. fpullanosr

fpullanosr
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Oct 25 2011, 05:35 PM) [snapback]28009[/snapback]

JJ

7. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jan-n-john @ Oct 25 2011, 07:51 PM) [snapback]28015[/snapback]

I assume this thread is serious and not tongue-in-cheek, possibly a dangerous assumption.

I second this assumption.
    We too had to press a regular yard watering hose into service for a while this summer, as my 'white' hose decided to leak profusely at the house connection. Now I COULD trust my family that said garden hose had NOT been used as a fertilizer conduit, or to siphon abandoned cisterns, etc. (Yikes)

Regardless of hose: I bleach clean the connections, (habit) before connecting it to a restrictor and in-line (blue) filter. We generally don't drink tap water anymore (RV parks have just too many variables). But it IS used to wash the dishes, shower and such, so common sense is critical.

If in doubt, sanitize your tank. It doesn't take much to sanitize a hose either.
    (Just don't flush bleach water onto the grass or plants!)
    B)

8. Wink

Wink
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jan-n-john @ Oct 25 2011, 08:51 PM) [snapback]28015[/snapback]

I just think that this to-do about hoses has been a little overdone. Yes, it's better not to drink water that has been standing in a hose for a while. But if you flush the hose and then use water that has only passed through it from the tap, it's hard for me to grasp how that water can pick up any materially harmful quantity of chemicals that quickly. Let's be serious--there is all kinds of stuff floating around in the atmosphere, starting with the effluent from coal-fired power plants for example. While it's not good, I don't see folks dropping like flies. It takes lots of exposure to add up to something to worry about. Whatever the hose adds to what we're getting already, I just don't see it as being enough to get obsessive about.

JMHO

As some city's are treating there sewage and putting it back into the fresh water system what is using a garden hose if it has not been used for chemicals or something.Why not just ask your friend if it had been used for any thing but water.Any way throw a little bleach in it and may be dump and refill when you can.We have a small destiller that we use for drinking water and you would be supprized at what the in side looks like some time after using it.You would not drink water from any where. :unsure:

9. imagardener

imagardener
    Expand Collapse

We don't drink the water from our RV fresh water tank ever. Use it for washing dishes and showers, etc. Our RV was purchased new 4 years ago and always had good water (to our knowledge) refilled but we just prefer to carry gallons of spring water for drinking and making coffee, etc. If I can't see that tank I don't want to drink out of it.

10. kcmoedoe

kcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

Almost all city and well water systems are full of Dihydrogen Monoxide. Deadly stuff, inhale enough into your lungs, and it will quickly lead to a painful, agonizing death. the odds are great that that garden hose has been exposed to Dihydrogen Monoxide, be very very careful. :rolleyes:

11. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I can recount many times pulling into a campground during July or Aug after my TT was sitting in my driveway for 3 to 4 weeks from previous trip... I'd turn on the water and I would get that rotten egg smell, which I would just run open all the facets till the odor would go away...problem solved.

As mentioned earlier on this thread....continuous exposure from chemicals or an unhealthy life style are the things people need to worry about... just my two cents! :)

Mike

12. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(kcmoedoe @ Oct 26 2011, 03:50 PM) [snapback]28025[/snapback]

Almost all city and well water systems are full of Dihydrogen Monoxide. Deadly stuff, inhale enough into your lungs, and it will quickly lead to a painful, agonizing death. the odds are great that that garden hose has been exposed to Dihydrogen Monoxide, be very very careful. :rolleyes:

Aren't you clever!! ;) I also hear that it is frequently added to food and that it is capable of causing severe burns. :lol:

13. kcmoedoe

kcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Oct 26 2011, 06:10 PM) [snapback]28027[/snapback]

Aren't you clever!! ;) I also hear that it is frequently added to food and that it is capable of causing severe burns. :lol:

Love to take credit, but it belongs to Penn and Teller. They actually did a cable special where they had a city council in California take up declaring Dihydrogen Monoxide a health hazard and requiring spills be cleaned by Hazmat Teams. I truly do believe garden hoses are dangerous, I drank from them all the time when I was younger and now I am getting closer to death every day. Must be a connection.

14. sheltie

sheltie
    Expand Collapse

I generally store water from wherever I'm staying as a backup to the city water I use at the site. With all the filters I have and the regular maintenance of sanitizing the fresh water tank, I would have no problem drinking water from my tank. If I didn't trust it initially, I wouldn't put it in there. With all the stuff introduced into our bodies throughout the years, if I haven't gotten sick from it at my age, it ain't gonna happen. I've tried enough things to ruin my perfect body and health but I'm still here and kickin. I think people worry about too many things needlessly. I won't fall into that trap.

15. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

I found Dihydrogen Monoxide to be a very good drink in summer months to cool me off. Mix it with ice and you have a double header. I should be gone soon due to this problem. My days are short now. :rolleyes:

16. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ Oct 26 2011, 10:56 PM) [snapback]28032[/snapback]

I found Dihydrogen Monoxide to be a very good drink in summer months to cool me off. Mix it with ice and you have a double header. I should be gone soon due to this problem. My days are short now. :rolleyes:

Just to make sure you're safe, I suggest adding a little bourbon to your Dihydrogen Monoxide. You're still going to die, but you don't really care all that much.....

17. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jamarynn1 @ Oct 27 2011, 12:58 AM) [snapback]28034[/snapback]

Just to make sure you're safe, I suggest adding a little bourbon to your Dihydrogen Monoxide. You're still going to die, but you don't really care all that much.....

Tequila - it kills worms.

18. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

You could also run the Tequila through your hose and and drink it as it comes out. That way you kill the germs in your hose and also have a good time doing it. :lol:

19. Tallboy

Tallboy
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(mdcamping @ Oct 25 2011, 07:18 PM) [snapback]28012[/snapback]

I remember when I was a kid drinking water from the outside hose & water spigot... have the times changed.... :rolleyes:

Mike

And riding a bicycle without a helmet, swimming in lakes and rivers, playing outside all day long with friends without bottled water. I'm amazed we even survived. :D

20. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Ok, I WAS SERIOUS when I posed this question, but now I see the thread has gone downhill. :lol: :lol: I did ask my friend again, and he thinks only water has been run through the garden hose (but I SWEAR he told me he had run other things, but now he doesn't remember saying that......)

It appears people are split 50/50 on this, similar to whether or not one should run their propane tank while driving, and whether or not one should put wheel covers on their RV tires.

When I am using water from the freshwater tank, I always run it through a Brita pitcher before I drink it. So it's been double filtered, once through the inline, and once through the Brita. On the other hand, my cat gets bottled water, the same brand. Cat has a sensitive stomach, don't want to upset him.

Once when sanitizing my tank, I used the "bleach water" to wash my RV. Didn't hurt the paint at all. Hey, didn't want to waste the water........

When I get to my camp hosting job, I think I will sanitize my tank to be sure.