Running Water Through A Garden Hose....

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by DXSMac, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

The worst thing I remember doing is running and playing in the street behind the DDT foggers. Not only was the chemical bad for us, we could have been hit by a car that couldn't see us. I obviously survived, but breathing that stuff may be the reason my mind is sometimes like Swiss cheese. :wacko:

2. B. Kidd

B. Kidd
    Expand Collapse

This thread is not only serious, but dead serious.
    Decades ago when most of us were kids, and drank hose water, like most kids, spray attachments were not put on hoses that dispensed chemicals.

A man sprays commercial weed killer with an arsenic compound in it on his lawn. After he finishes, he disconnects the applicator. It's a hot day, so he takes a refreshing drink of water from the hose. A short time later, he ends up in the hospital, or worse, with arsenic poisoning.
    WHAT HAPPENED?

At some time while he was spraying the weed-killer, the water pressure dropped, which resulted in the poison being sucked back (backsiphonage) into the hose. Later, when he drank from the hose, the poison inside was released with the water. Result; he unknowingly poisoned himself.

Many spray attachments do have a backflow prevention device and still, those that do, they sometimes fail.
    Besides weed-killer, fertilizers and bug-killers are also dispensed through spray attachments connected to hoses. I know what I've put through my own hoses, you know what you've put through your own hoses, D-Mac knows what he has put through his hoses. But none of us REALLY know what others put through their hoses.
    D-Mac is wise to sanitize his tank! B)

3. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Oct 27 2011, 01:39 PM) [snapback]28041[/snapback]

Ok, I WAS SERIOUS when I posed this question, but now I see the thread has gone downhill.

I was one of the contributors to the downhill slide. Sorry, JJ. So now I will say seriously that if you feel uncomfortable about it, then by all means sanitize your tank for your peace of mind. Odds are nothing will come of your using a garden hose, but the possibility it had contaminants does exist, so take the precautions that make you feel better and safer.

4. kcmoedoe

kcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(B. Kidd @ Oct 28 2011, 02:35 PM) [snapback]28047[/snapback]

Decades ago when most of us were kids, and drank hose water, like most kids, spray attachments were not put on hoses that dispensed chemicals.

A man sprays commercial weed killer with an arsenic compound in it on his lawn. After he finishes, he disconnects the applicator. It's a hot day, so he takes a refreshing drink of water from the hose. A short time later, he ends up in the hospital, or worse, with arsenic poisoning.
    WHAT HAPPENED?

At some time while he was spraying the weed-killer, the water pressure dropped, which resulted in the poison being sucked back (backsiphonage) into the hose. Later, when he drank from the hose, the poison inside was released with the water. Result; he unknowingly poisoned himself.

Many spray attachments do have a backflow prevention device and still, those that do, they sometimes fail.
    Besides weed-killer, fertilizers and bug-killers are also dispensed through spray attachments connected to hoses. I know what I've put through my own hoses, you know what you've put through your own hoses, D-Mac knows what he has put through his hoses. But none of us REALLY know what others put through their hoses.

I suppose anything is possible, but modern weed killer does not contain arsenic, even commercial blends. Modern sprayers do not create back pressure, because they use siphon system. Modern municipal water systems do not backflow unless there is a catostrophic failure, and if that happens, what is sucked into the garden hose would be the least of the worries. The odds of getting sick from your relatives hose is much less than your risk of getting food poisoning from their cooking.

5. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(B. Kidd @ Oct 28 2011, 02:35 PM) [snapback]28047[/snapback]

WHAT HAPPENED?

Except in that case sanitizing (chlorine treatment) would not help with getting rid of the insecticide or lawn treatment chemicals, especially if heavy metals are present. Regular sanitizing with chlorine will kill disease organisms but will not typically destroy organic pesticides/algicides, etc or get rid of heavy metals. I would not make a regular habit of it, but if I had to use the hose I would run water through it for 10 minutes or so and then add what I needed to the tank. If what was being sprayed is soluble enough to work in the sprayer and somehow some backflowed into the hose, flushing the hose would get rid of it, IMHO.

6. B. Kidd

B. Kidd
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(kcmoedoe @ Oct 28 2011, 02:42 PM) [snapback]28051[/snapback]

I suppose anything is possible, but modern weed killer does not contain arsenic, even commercial blends. Modern sprayers do not create back pressure, because they use siphon system. Modern municipal water systems do not backflow unless there is a catostrophic failure, and if that happens, what is sucked into the garden hose would be the least of the worries. The odds of getting sick from your relatives hose is much less than your risk of getting food poisoning from their cooking.

Siphon systems fail. And more then weed killer goes thru many people's hoses (ie: 'Ortho-Klor' bug killer). Water pressure deviates, even in modern munincipal water systems.
    I disagree that the odds are small from getting sick from your relatives hose, but I do agree they might be higher from your relatives' cooking. :eek:

7. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi JJ,

I'm glad you have arrived safe and sound.

You won't need to sanitize if he is on a municipal water supply--but the water may taste bad.

Modern plastic hoses do make water unpalatable. DAMHIK If another fill is needed run the water for ten minutes first to flush out the garden hose.

I hope you change the brita filter often. My understanding is that bacteria can grow inside them once the silver iodide is depleted.

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Oct 25 2011, 04:35 PM) [snapback]28009[/snapback]

I'm staying at a friend's house in Georgia. I needed to refill my water tank, but couldn't reach his water faucet with my hose. He suggested his garden hose. HORROR!

Well, I used it anyway, I put the RV water filter between his hose and my hose, but I'm still thinking....... he could have run all kinds of crap through that garden hose and my filter won't stop it.

I think I need to purchase a new water hose and sanitize my tank, what do you all think?

JJ

8. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Oct 28 2011, 02:38 PM) [snapback]28049[/snapback]

I was one of the contributors to the downhill slide. Sorry, JJ. So now I will say seriously that if you feel uncomfortable about it, then by all means sanitize your tank for your peace of mind. Odds are nothing will come of your using a garden hose, but the possibility it had contaminants does exist, so take the precautions that make you feel better and safer.

Oh that's ok. The thing that BKidd said is what concerned me. As for flushing, I usually "flush" all water faucets before connecting, but not for 10 minutes as KCMoeDoe suggested. I have found water faucets usually have "deposits" and I flush out those "deposits" before connecting.

JJ

9. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

I'd only do ten minutes when using a garden hose. Other than that a few seconds is not a bad idea.

10. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Oct 29 2011, 11:04 AM) [snapback]28064[/snapback]

Oh that's ok. The thing that BKidd said is what concerned me. As for flushing, I usually "flush" all water faucets before connecting, but not for 10 minutes as KCMoeDoe suggested. I have found water faucets usually have "deposits" and I flush out those "deposits" before connecting.

JJ

We we always flush out a campground's water faucet, but we also keep a container of Clorox wipes handy to wipe off the spigot. Some spigots are very low to the ground, and there are some very tall dogs around--if you get my drift.

11. chowhound

chowhound
    Expand Collapse

:lol: QUOTE(kcmoedoe @ Oct 26 2011, 03:50 PM) [snapback]28025[/snapback]

Almost all city and well water systems are full of Dihydrogen Monoxide. Deadly stuff, inhale enough into your lungs, and it will quickly lead to a painful, agonizing death. the odds are great that that garden hose has been exposed to Dihydrogen Monoxide, be very very careful. :rolleyes:

Some people, even drink it straight, I prefer to use a little scotch for sanitation.

12. JDRobar

JDRobar
    Expand Collapse

Seems like ya'll been doing a lot of choppin, but I don't see no chips a flyin ! :)

I have never, ah say I have never put water in my fresh water tank unless its gone thru my two stage filtering system. And even though i'm in a class B, I carry two hoses and the filter system everywhere. Yes, I could have other problems once the clean water is in there, but no worries about giardia or heavy metal stuff.

Having experienced giardia from backpacking once, I've decided all the belly-aching and six weeks worth of being a water jet is something to be avoided.

Now, I have close friends that swear city water and State Parks water is safe to use, but they always remind me of Paul Rever's ride...... a little light in the belfey. But, each to his/her own.

13. Traveling man

Traveling man
    Expand Collapse

If you do not want to invest in a new hose, there are usually ones you can use to fill up on water at the dump stations---No don't try this! If there is any doubt I'd flush the tank.

I don't drink the park water either- some use city, some well, some river etc. For example, I asked the park ranger at the state park I just left about the water, and he said "it won't hurt you, but I sure wouldn't drink it or try to use it in coffee- it's very hard". I've had parks with rust coming out when the water is turned on, so like to check first. I'm sure much of the RV park water is good, but it's a small luxury to buy Spring water and know my drinking water tastes good.

I had the "rotten egg" water tank problem a couple years ago. I now add a small amount of chlorine bleach to the tank on a regular basis, and have not had further problems.

14. Mojavian

Mojavian
    Expand Collapse

To answer the original question, there is no problem filling a fresh water tank with a garden hose, assuming the fresh water supply is itself good. And in the US, the water is going to be fine just about everywhere. Municipal water systems will warn you if the water is unsafe to drink due to contamination, flooding, etc.

The problem with garden hoses comes in when the water is sitting in them under the hot sun for long periods of time. You can eliminate this as a factor by running fresh water through the hose for a minute. Then, taste it. Does it smell fine? Taste fine? Go ahead and fill the tank and don't worry about it.

BTW, I want to make clear that I am talking about a GARDEN hose, not the poopster-cleaner-outer hose. That NEVER touches any part of the fresh water system.

What you don't want to do is use a garden hose to hook up directly to your water supply. The things will leach chemicals when water stands in them under pressure for any extended period.

I know a lot of people will not drink city water under any circumstances, but it is a conviction I do not share and that fact hasn't caused me any misfortune during my first 60 years. I just guess I'm lucky.