Flooring

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by lj17, Nov 15, 2011.

1. lj17

lj17
    Expand Collapse

My husband and I are replacing the carpet in the front 2/3 of our class A Bounder and are trying to decide if we should install engineered flooring as our neighbor suggests is becoming popular. Has anyone bought their flooring from them before? I need to get a review first.

Any pros, cons, suggestions, or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

LJ

2. RV Camper1

RV Camper1
    Expand Collapse

With so many different products of that type, why limit yourself to only one? Check out Lowe's or Home Depot before you choose.

3. SteveE

SteveE
    Expand Collapse

I have never used this type of product, but have seen it installed in several stick and mortar homes.
    Keep in mind that any material will swell and shrink with temperature and humidity changes. And I would think it would be more difficult to control the environment in a motor home than in the stick and mortar homes for which these products are designed.
    As the material shrinks, gaps will form at the joints which will collect dirt (so don't go for light colors). I assume extreme swelling would cause buckling....though I haven't observed this. So, if it were me, I would vote for a solid floor covering like vinyl.
    But what the heck, life isn't any fun if you don't try new things. So if you like it give it a try...... and let us all know now it works out for you after a year or two.

Good luck,
    Steve

4. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

Just going by the video,it seems like the floating floor should work. Basically like they did over the concrete floor. The whole floor will expand not the individual pieces, because they're glued together. Just need some space by the edge, which you can cover with molding.
    Just my opinion, I haven't done it.

5. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

We have the fake wood flooring in our master bedroom at home... and it looks fake. If you like that look, go ahead and use it. I would just put down something like linoleum flooring.

6. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

Hi LJ,

If price is of no concern you might consider cork laminate. I put it in my basement office, directly over the concrete, and it adds enough insulation to make the floor very comfortable. The natural cushion effect is also very nice. It's easy to install and to keep clean, and you can re-varnish it if many years later you feel that the lustre is gone.

Here's a link:
    http://www.homedepot.ca/catalog/hardwood-laminate/172608

7. vincee

vincee
    Expand Collapse

I have thought of doing the same in my 2000 Allegro, though so far have chickened out from trying. That being said, hands down what I would use because of what appears to be ease of installation over laminates or peel and stick is a wood look product called Allure. 2.99 a square foot. Very practical for RV use because it is waterproof, including at the seems. Looks as good as most laminates, comes in 4ft strips with glue strips that you align and press. Everytime I go into Home Depot I look at it and think "go head, give it a shot". Check it out.

8. 797

Expand Collapse

QUOTE(lj17 @ Nov 15 2011, 11:33 AM) [snapback]28192[/snapback]

My husband and I are replacing the carpet in the front 2/3 of our class A Bounder and are trying to decide if we should install engineered flooring as our neighbor suggests is becoming popular. Has anyone bought their flooring from them before? I need to get a review first.

Any pros, cons, suggestions, or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

LJ

we are putting pergo in rv and leave 1/8 inch on each side it interlocks so no wide seams apear :D :D

9. KarlEmert

KarlEmert
    Expand Collapse

Rather than engineered flooring now a days there are many other types of flooring installation option available that are in demand from laminate flooring to hardwood flooring and so on.You can check out all the latest flooring option at denver carpet .

10. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

11. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

Vinyl flooring coverings featured here: http://www.armstrong.com/flooring/products...ood/_/N-67sZ6wb

I have it in my RV and in my house. If desired, it's a DITY project that is a "floating" flooring, and because it is vinyl it is water proof. It is thinner than laminate flooring and installation does not require any special tools or glue. The only thing needed is a pair of scissors to easily cut the product to fit it where needed.

12. jimbob07

jimbob07
    Expand Collapse

There are MANY flooring options besides carpet. Some of the vinyl stuff looks pretty good. Many of the engineered products do not look fake...some are very cost friendly also. As mentioned above, check out HD and Lowes.