Recognize This Rv Park (alaska Highway)?

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Jensb, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Jensb

Jensb
    Expand Collapse

Hello,

I have just been looking thru a catalog from a travel agency. They had a picture of a great looking campground, that I'm trying to find out where is.

I did of course contact the travel agency, but they only know that it's somewhere along the Alaska Highway.

By using tineye.com I managed to find the original image, but unfortunately no mention of the location either.

So, I was hoping that someone in here, recognize this lakeside campground.

The picture can be seen here: http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-photo-180...at-the-lake.php

Thanks

2. RVL217646

RVL217646
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Jensb @ Nov 21 2011, 01:02 PM) [snapback]28242[/snapback]

Hello,

I have just been looking thru a catalog from a travel agency. They had a picture of a great looking campground, that I'm trying to find out where is.

I did of course contact the travel agency, but they only know that it's somewhere along the Alaska Highway.

By using tineye.com I managed to find the original image, but unfortunately no mention of the location either.

The picture can be seen here: http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-photo-180...at-the-lake.php

Thanks

QUOTE(Jensb @ Nov 21 2011, 01:02 PM) [snapback]28242[/snapback]

Hello,

Thanks

Hi.......

I'm not 100% sure but it looks a lot like the Provincial Park on Muncho Lake. There are probably a dozen 'on the water' sites there. Some can hold a big rig. No reservations, but well worth stopping.

Alan

3. Jensb

Jensb
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Tucsonbenz @ Nov 30 2011, 09:35 PM) [snapback]28313[/snapback]

Hi.......

I'm not 100% sure but it looks a lot like the Provincial Park on Muncho Lake. There are probably a dozen 'on the water' sites there. Some can hold a big rig. No reservations, but well worth stopping.

Alan

Thanks for you answer. I love staying at waterfront sites, so everytime I see a good one, I take a note for future reference.

Just did a google search on Muncho Lake, and you could very well be right about that. Although I couldn't find a picture on google, that made me 100% that Muncho Lake is the place, it does look like it could be.

But no matter what, Muncho Lake seems very nice, so I've added this on my list of possible campgrounds, on a future trip to Alaska.

Thanks again.

4. stonybirch

stonybirch
    Expand Collapse

Muncho Lake is on the Alaska Highway. Before Muncho is a little campground in 'Toad'. A fun place to stay and enjoy the atmosphere. Invest in the MILEPOST, it is the best guide for your trip north. Make sure to plan for lots of time to stop and see all there is along the way.

5. Jensb

Jensb
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(stonybirch @ Jan 18 2012, 04:53 AM) [snapback]28624[/snapback]

Muncho Lake is on the Alaska Highway. Before Muncho is a little campground in 'Toad'. A fun place to stay and enjoy the atmosphere.

Is it this campground in Toad? http://www.toadriverlodge.com
    Thanks, I'll add it to my list then. It seems to get good reviews for the scenic view, here on campgroundreviews.com.

QUOTE(stonybirch @ Jan 18 2012, 04:53 AM) [snapback]28624[/snapback]
    Invest in the MILEPOST, it is the best guide for your trip north. Make sure to plan for lots of time to stop and see all there is along the way.

Thanks, I'll take look at the milepost.

I'm still just in the rough planning stage, but I'm thinking about 10 days to drive from Seattle to Anchorage. Then 10-14 days to see the areas around Kenai and Denali. Then spend another 10 days driving The Alaska Highway back from Denali to Jasper. And then spend around 3 weeks to see Jasper, Banff, Glacier, driving back to Seattle, and maybe also spending some days in Olympic national park.

So the trip will be around 8 weeks total, with approximately 20 days on the Alaska highway. 20 days for the drive from seattle to Anchorage and back to Jasper, would make it an average of 210 miles per day. I normally do like to make many photo-stops, so I don't want to much driving, if the landscape is beautiful. On the other hand, if some stretches of the road is less interesting, then I don't mind a few 400 miles days.

But what are your thoughts, does 10 days sound reasonable?

6. JBH

JBH
    Expand Collapse

It could be on the Hart Highway as well...Hart Lake Forest Service Campground? There are so many places that look like that it would be hard for me to try and remember each of them. I have made the trip four times so far, and think I saw a hundred new places each time... :D

7. Jensb

Jensb
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(JBH @ Jan 31 2012, 05:21 AM) [snapback]28693[/snapback]

There are so many places that look like that...

That sounds great. I just love staying at places like that.

Thanks for your suggestion, I'll take a look at Hart Lake also.

8. JBH

JBH
    Expand Collapse

10 days sounds about right, but be prepared to adjust your schedule as you might want to stop a bit more. I have driven the highway four times so far and each time was an entirely new experience (all good). As for places to make sure you don't miss, Muncho is definitely there, as well as many on the Kenai and in Denali. If you can swing it and are not too afraid of flying, you can take a ski plane out of Talkeetna and actually land on Denali on a glacier...I would have to say that is one of the most incredible experiences in my life thus far, and I have been all over the world to some really cool places. Enjoy your trip! I will also second the suggestion to get a copy of the current Milepost, you will be glad you did.

9. Jensb

Jensb
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(JBH @ Feb 1 2012, 03:32 AM) [snapback]28698[/snapback]

10 days sounds about right, but be prepared to adjust your schedule as you might want to stop a bit more. I have driven the highway four times so far and each time was an entirely new experience (all good). As for places to make sure you don't miss, Muncho is definitely there, as well as many on the Kenai and in Denali. If you can swing it and are not too afraid of flying, you can take a ski plane out of Talkeetna and actually land on Denali on a glacier...I would have to say that is one of the most incredible experiences in my life thus far, and I have been all over the world to some really cool places. Enjoy your trip! I will also second the suggestion to get a copy of the current Milepost, you will be glad you did.

Thank you for you reply.

Flying to the glacier in Denali sound like a very cool idea. I'll definitely keep that in mind.