New Motorhome Buyer

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by v8rman, Nov 27, 2011.

1. v8rman

v8rman
    Expand Collapse

I am considering buying a used motorhome. Right now I am interested in a 2000-2008, 33-35 foot class A with slideouts. So far I have searched some websites and have found some really nice floor plans and interior features that I like, however I am unsure about which motor to get. I now have a 29' fifthwheel that I pull with a F250 deisel.

It seems to me that the mileage is about the same between the Ford v-10 and the Cummins deisel motors that seem to be common in most motorhomes. So the type of power I can expect between the 2 choices is mainly what I'm interested in.

I plan on pulling a 17' enclosed trailer with it most of the time and have a Ford Escape that I would pull on road trips. I live in Utah so there are alot of 6% grades and mountain accents and descents so the Horsepower is important to me.

I would like to hear some thoughts on this subject. I am not opposed to the idea of modifications either.

2. B. Kidd

B. Kidd
    Expand Collapse

I have a 2005 32 ft. MH (original owner) with one large slide-out, with a Ford 450 V-10. Live out west and have pulled most of the gnarly grades that includes the continental divide east of Missoula, Mt. on I-90. I load it to the gills but only tow a 2009 Toyota Yaris 4 down. Wished I had more power on the steepest of grades like that one, but it was adequate. Also added a K&N air filter, as the air filters are big on the 450; definitely helped with the mileage. Have also pulled the deserts here in late July with temps at 115 without babying it. The V-10 has been bulletproof!
    Now, you'll be towing a heavier toad and I also do not know what you'll be putting in your enclosed trailer (bowling balls?) and you also mentioned slide-outs as in plural. SLIDE-OUTS ARE HEAVY.
    So, based on the info. in your post and my experience with my V-10, and gas being much cheaper then diesel (and diesel ain't comin' down anytime soon thanx to India and China), I'd recommend the Ford V-10 and would add a Bank's Power System if it doesn't have one. And don't forget the K&N filter.

3. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

The two real choice you have are the Ford V-10 and the GM 8.1 L which is 496 Cubic inches. You will find proponents of both. They are both well proven. You will probably want a small bedroom slide as well as a living room slide. That was common in that time period. A 50 amp service is better than 30 amp. Tires last about 5 to 7 years, so you can count on replacing them if they are original. Have the coach checked out by a pro not associated with the dealer. There are a lots of deals out there due to the economy. Buying from an individual can be a great deal. Getting a coach from an older couple who has gotten past RVing or had one spouse die can yield a great deal also. (OK. I am morbid, but it is true and you are solving a problem for them). If the coach has Work Horse chassis be sure the brake recall has been repaired. Take the coach on a trial run if possible.

4. v8rman

v8rman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Nov 27 2011, 06:27 PM) [snapback]28296[/snapback]

The two real choice you have are the Ford V-10 and the GM 8.1 L which is 496 Cubic inches. You will find proponents of both. They are both well proven. You will probably want a small bedroom slide as well as a living room slide. That was common in that time period. A 50 amp service is better than 30 amp. Tires last about 5 to 7 years, so you can count on replacing them if they are original. Have the coach checked out by a pro not associated with the dealer. There are a lots of deals out there due to the economy. Buying from an individual can be a great deal. Getting a coach from an older couple who has gotten past RVing or had one spouse die can yield a great deal also. (OK. I am morbid, but it is true and you are solving a problem for them). If the coach has Work Horse chassis be sure the brake recall has been repaired. Take the coach on a trial run if possible.

Good Advice! thank you both. I am a hunter when it comes to a good deal and time is not an issue for me, so I will wait for the perfect deal before I buy. I would like to know if the V-10 has the power to pull like my deisel does. I know there is almost unlimited power you can attain from a deisel motor though chipping, exhaust etc.. What are the mods you can do to the v-10? I just dont want to be stuck doing 40 mph up grades that have most deisel trucks pulling trailers doing 65 or is this unrealistic for a motorhome?

Also what is the" Brake Recall"?

5. B. Kidd

B. Kidd
    Expand Collapse

6. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Also what is the" Brake Recall"?

All RV's with Work Horse chassis were for about 8 years were fitted with a poly pin which will melt if it gets too hot. There are millions of them on medium trucks and motor homes. When a motor home still for a while some rust can build up on the rotors causing excessive heat which melts the poly pin and causes the caliper to seize. Work Horse will replace the calipers for free, but is being very cheap about it. They are a real danger and almost caused my family to go off of a cliff.

http://www.linandnancy.com/workhorsebrakes1.html

7. v8rman

v8rman
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the good info on the v-10. Any opinions/ veiws on the deisels?

8. RFCN2

RFCN2
    Expand Collapse

Most diesels are turbos and have significantly more torque than either gas motor you are talking about. With the gas mills a banks blower will give you the most power. There are alson quite a few diesel front and rear motors in the size you are talking about. I much prefer the motor in the rear because it is quieter, but there are many good front diesels too. Where we are diesel is about the same price as gas. So the advantage is the inherent efficiency of the diesel motor.

All that said there are many very nice and quiet gas coaches. Since you are used to diesel in you current truck IMHO you will have a had time going to gas power.

9. togators

togators
    Expand Collapse

I am on my third motorhome. First had the 460 Ford, 2nd had the V-10, and my current has the Cummins 325 ISB. With each one it was a night and day improvement. The diesel will have the torque but still will not be equivalent to your truck. I enjoy the air suspension of the diesel coach compared to the gas chassis. You will pay more for it but when you go to sell/trade the difference in pricing will still be there. Good luck.