Alcohol In Campgrounds

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by foor, Dec 15, 2011.

1. foor

foor
    Expand Collapse

I submit should alcohol allowed or not be added as criteria in the reviews. Please do not misunderstand my intent, I am not an excessive drinker, but enjoy a few drinks around the campfire to disconnect from the week. I am simply saying there are campgrounds, I have visited, that do not disclose an alcohol policy on their website & you discover a no alcohol statement on the rental agreement. I have "hidden" a drink in a plastic cup at state & private parks where it is prohibited. Whereas, on other weekends not had one drink at all. What do you think?

Tiffany C likes this.
  2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

We see the same thing all the USA. My take is this, we only drink a small amount of wine if we can remember to do so but only inside the motorhome. Rules or no rules. I understand the rules and have been in campgrounds that were full of drunks. We did not like this plan at all. No one around me will every know if we had a drink or not. We have a couple ounces and that is it, done. Never had a problems in all our years on the road. :D

3. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

QUOTE(foor @ Dec 15 2011, 08:38 PM) [snapback]28413[/snapback]

I submit should alcohol allowed or not be added as criteria in the reviews.

A Big Yes !! :D

As long as your quiet, discrete and able to use some common sense (which it sounds like you are) no one will most likely bother you. The reason for these no alcohol statements/policys is so they can throw out the idiots that are unable to control them self's when it comes to alcohol.

I look for campgrounds with strong "enforced" alcohol policys and appreciate it when I read it in the reviews.

Mike

Tiffany C likes this.
  4. hoefler

hoefler
    Expand Collapse

I too have an adult beverage once in awhile. Have done it in no alcohol parks as well. If done discreetly and not to draw attention, no harm no foul. I believe the rule exist primarily for those who will throw a drunken free for all and make everyone's life miserable. Gives the park an option for dealing with those who have no respect for others enjoyment.

Hotrod27 and Herself like this.
  5. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

I know what you are saying, but the OP's question really was [/quote]I submit should alcohol allowed or not be added as criteria in the reviews.

6. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

While this information would be valuable to some of our members, I do not think it makes a difference to most of them. Also this is the type of information that would be extremely difficult for our admins to verify before posting it on the park's listing. It would probably involve making a call to the park, and I can assure you they do not have time to do that. I think the best thing here is if someone wants to know if a park has alcohol restrictions, they should call ahead and ask about the policy before making a reservation or going there.

7. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

I have to agree with TX on this one. We already have a dozen or so items listed under the Hookups and Accommodations categories. As "cut and dry" as those "yes or no" items seem to be, most of them actually require additional questions and answers. For example: how many sites are: 50 AMP/full-thru/cable TV/etc.? or is the WIFI free, available at the RV site, etc.? or are there dog runs, plastic baggies, etc.? This site cannot list every possible permutation of each item. Adding a Alchohol Y/N question just leads to more questions: at site only, don't walk around the park with open container, etc.? If this question is important to you, call the park. For example: I prefer parks with cable TV and, if my research does not indicate how many channels their cable system has, I call ahead to find out (among other things) how many channels they have. That way, I don't find out at check-in that there are only a dozen channels or only the premium sites have cable.

8. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(mdcamping @ Dec 15 2011, 06:53 PM) [snapback]28415[/snapback]

.......The reason for these no alcohol statements/policys is so they can throw out the idiots that are unable to control them self's when it comes to alcohol.

Having worked in several state parks as camp host I can validate that this is a true statement.

9. Wink

Wink
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RLM @ Dec 21 2011, 11:24 AM) [snapback]28455[/snapback]

Having worked in several state parks as camp host I can validate that this is a true statement.

That will be a plus one here about the rules.I will not say what parks but a few of the park workers recycle beer cans to go in there kitty for stuff.The rule is there if needed.I don`t walk around with a can in my hand for what little beer I do drink.Just get a cup or a cover for it.I have also seen bars set up at some rallies with no hassle from any one in state and Federal parks.

10. chuckl

chuckl
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Wink @ Dec 22 2011, 05:57 PM) [snapback]28467[/snapback]

That will be a plus one here about the rules.I will not say what parks but a few of the park workers recycle beer cans to go in there kitty for stuff.The rule is there if needed.I don`t walk around with a can in my hand for what little beer I do drink.Just get a cup or a cover for it.I have also seen bars set up at some rallies with no hassle from any one in state and Federal parks.

I dont thnk that I have ever stayed at a park that had a no alcohol policy. Where are these??
    I do not stay in state parks or COE campgrounds most of them I find too small for my rig.

11. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Wink @ Dec 22 2011, 03:57 PM) [snapback]28467[/snapback]

I will not say what parks but a few of the park workers recycle beer cans to go in there kitty for stuff.

I hosting at a CG that was on a lake. When I made my rounds thru the CG, I would find the bigger groups who were mostly fishermen. I knew that there was going to be an abundance of beer and soda cans. So I would always take them a large garbage can so they could use it for their empties. I also put a couple near the dock so the boaters could dispose of their cans.

Over the course of the summer, I recycled enough aluminum cans to pay for all the gas I used being a tourist during my off time.....plus keep it out of a land fill.

Herself likes this.
  12. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I rarely read the fine print in the contract and have a drink or two with my wife. Never had a problem. We do not advertise the fact and I certainly don't see it as a problem.

13. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

We don't have any rules against drinking at our campground. We do have a rule about no glass bottles at the pool and had one man claim we were keeping him out of the pool because he only will drink beer from a bottle. We do have a problem on occasion with drunks and a couple have been evicted because their behavior got so totally out of hand. I don't understand why some campgrounds are so strict about people have a drink as long as they are not creating a problem with their behavior.

14. browne07

browne07
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(dalsgal @ Dec 30 2011, 07:55 PM) [snapback]28517[/snapback]

We don't have any rules against drinking at our campground. We do have a rule about no glass bottles at the pool and had one man claim we were keeping him out of the pool because he only will drink beer from a bottle. We do have a problem on occasion with drunks and a couple have been evicted because their behavior got so totally out of hand. I don't understand why some campgrounds are so strict about people have a drink as long as they are not creating a problem with their behavior.

A lot of parks in the eastern/southern states that have a no alcohol policy. West Virginia comes to mind. Just keep it out of sight and behave yourself and it will not be a problem. A lot of young people from my home state of Wisconsin view camping as a get drunk time and have ruined the stay of others.

15. toadswife

toadswife
    Expand Collapse

Yes, I think so. Much like most who have replied, we do like to have a recreational drink while camping, but never the loud and obnoxious party type. I have been to a few parks that "oh by the way'd" me on this policy. None of the SC State Parks allow ANY alcohol, so take note. Hope this helps!

16. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(toadswife @ Feb 11 2012, 06:45 PM) [snapback]28765[/snapback]

Yes, I think so. Much like most who have replied, we do like to have a recreational drink while camping, but never the loud and obnoxious party type. I have been to a few parks that "oh by the way'd" me on this policy. None of the SC State Parks allow ANY alcohol, so take note. Hope this helps!

I've drank in about 10 SC State Parks, and the rangers in about 8 of those have seen me do that. They don't say anything because we are acting responsibly.

Herself likes this.
  17. KentuckyCampin

KentuckyCampin
    Expand Collapse

Yep I agree with everyone on this one. I have been to campgrounds where some people have had a little too much to drink and are loud, obnoxious, and blasting music waaaaay too loud until wee hours of the night. Not fun to be around, especially when you have kids who get to observe this conduct.
    Now dont get me wrong, I enjoy a cold beer every now and then while camping. And use a beer cooler to cover it with so no one pays any attention. We camp mostly in state/coe parks and most of them have a "no alcohol" policy. But as long as your not flaunting it or being loud/obnoxious, nobody seems to care.

And I have to agree that the rule is in place to kick unruly drunks out of a campground. Nothing worse than some loud mouth drunk cussing and making a scene!

Herself likes this.
  18. exsailor81

exsailor81
    Expand Collapse

All the state parks and COE parks here in the south are dry. It is simply a way to sort out the drunks and give them a reason to evict them. I have no problem with that. My guess is that the majority of folks camped around me have adult beverages. There are other issues that are more important. Like FUNDING for these parks.

19. Mare29

Mare29
    Expand Collapse

20. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Common sense is the key words :cool:

Rollin Ollens and Paythebill like this.