Open Heart Surgery

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Florida Native, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I went in for a heart cathetiaztion on November 29. I ended up going to cardiac ICU for 8 days and having a heart bypass. I then spent 3 weeks in rehab. Today, I came home tethered to Oxygen. Not sure how long this is going to last. I was wondering if other have had a satisfying camping life after having a bypass. We had a lot of trouble with the surgery and that is why I was in ICU for so long. I am hopping my lungs get better and I can ditch the O2. I did learn why the call it ICU. It is because of those gowns that have no backs. I see you.

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Lindsay,

I can't speak to what life is like after a bypass, but I do wish you a quick and full recovery.

3. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Hope your recovery is quick and your soon back to enjoying camping.

Mike

4. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Good to see you back on line again. I thought you has stop worked here. Wife had open heart surgery (bad valve, no bypass work) and spend 50 days in Tampa Gen couple years ago so you did OK. It will take time to get back to your old self but it will happen. Hang in and life will get better soon. Keep the post coming. :)

5. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

I'm sorry to hear you had to go through that. My mom had triple bypass, with complications, in September. On top of that my dad died while mom was in the hospital. She will be 84 on Monday and she is up, driving, doing pretty much anything and everything she wants to do. Keep pushing to get yourself back to your "normal" busy self.

6. fpullanosr

fpullanosr
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Dec 30 2011, 07:19 PM) [snapback]28515[/snapback]

I went in for a heart cathetiaztion on November 29. I ended up going to cardiac ICU for 8 days and having a heart bypass. I then spent 3 weeks in rehab. Today, I came home tethered to Oxygen. Not sure how long this is going to last. I was wondering if other have had a satisfying camping life after having a bypass. We had a lot of trouble with the surgery and that is why I was in ICU for so long. I am hopping my lungs get better and I can ditch the O2. I did learn why the call it ICU. It is because of those gowns that have no backs. I see you.

I am a full timer. Had 4 bi-passes, aortic valve, 2 carotids and a pass maker in DEC. 2010. Did 3 months of re-hab and still on the road, after six month hyattis.

I coded 1 1/2 days after surgery and had to stay in CCU for 1 wee extrak, then telemetry floor for 2 more weeks. Spent last NYE and New Years in hospital.

Although back to traveling, Planning now to settle down in one place since keeping up with follow up medical appointments is getting cumbursome.

The key to getting better is diet and mobility. Need to do lots of walking. Aint EZ at first.

Good luck and good health in 2012.

In NJ now planning on Venic Fl. by mid Jan.

7. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Lindsay:
    Glad to hear you are out of the hospital and on the mend. Hope you recover quickly. My wife had a heart valve replacement which involved open heart surgery. Recovery time was expected to be 16 weeks. The wife managed to get better before that time elapsed. She had some difficulty getting her meds just right, but once she did it was smooth sailing. The operation was over two years ago and she is now in the best shape she has even been in over 10 years. Wishing you the same. :)
    Glenn

8. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

My wife has promised me a RV trip to Nova Scota stating in June. I am hoping that it will be enough, I still require O2, but am working hard to get off it. I am 68 years old and not ready for the couch. I am so week now, a 100 foot walk put me down. I have lost 25 pounds and have to keep up the weight loss also.

9. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Lindsay,

I'm certain you will be using your pole on the trip to Nova Scotia. Just be slow and steady in your improvement.

10. RV Camper1

RV Camper1
    Expand Collapse

Hang in there and keep working at it as there are many out here on the road who have traveled that road as well. We will put you on our prayer list!

My wife just had an ankle replaced with metal, but that didn't keep her from making a dual skydive to celebrate her 70th birthday last June. Follow those doctor orders and keep on working at it and you can come back!

11. GandJ

GandJ
    Expand Collapse

...I did learn why the call it ICU. It is because of those gowns that have no backs. I see you.

Glad your sense of humor is still intact! Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery, LR.

12. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I went to the lung Dr. today and got permission to use oxygen at night and on an as needed basis. I have a good oxygen testing meter and have been doing well without it for several hours. I think I see RV'ing in my future.

13. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

That's good news, Lindsay. You'll be good as new before you know it.

14. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

Hey, great news.

15. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

I can't help with the bypass thing, but I do know if you want to do something bad enough it will get done. I know you enjoy camping.
    I'm glad you are getting better. I'd bet on you making back.
    Happy camping. Have a blast in Nova Scotia.

16. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Jan 9 2012, 04:24 PM) [snapback]28578[/snapback]

I think I see RV'ing in my future.

Oh Lindsay, I am so glad you are on the mend! Keep a daily journal of all your POSITIVE steps in recovery, (and in life). It will absolutely amaze you, AND help tremendously on those days you feel not-so-good.

You CAN return to the life you enjoy. May have to modify eating and/or walking habits, but it's better than the alternative.

Cheers and blessings
    B)

17. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Best day yet. My brother and double first cousin came up from Fort Myers and took me out to lunch. First time out in 6 weeks. Had healthy lunch, then came home, looked in my shop and then spent 30 minutes sitting on my dock. All this without being tied to my oxygen per yesterday's Dr. visit, I had to take a nap when over, but I can really see some progress.

18. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Lindsay,

Sounds to me like you will be back in gear by spring if not before. Keep up the good work and enjoy this nice weather we now have here in FL. :)

19. rgatijnet

rgatijnet
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Jan 10 2012, 07:27 PM) [snapback]28584[/snapback]

Best day yet. My brother and double first cousin came up from Fort Myers and took me out to lunch. First time out in 6 weeks. Had healthy lunch, then came home, looked in my shop and then spent 30 minutes sitting on my dock. All this without being tied to my oxygen per yesterday's Dr. visit, I had to take a nap when over, but I can really see some progress.

Glad to hear that you are on the mend. It takes time and everyone is different. You have to go at your own pace and listen to the doctor. I'm sure that you will be back behind the wheel in no time. :)

20. chowhound

chowhound
    Expand Collapse

Lindsey, I am so glad to hear of your progress. Foster's right keep a journal of your progress each day. Don't over do it just try a little more each day but get plenty of rest. I look forward to hearing of your adventures this summer. Our thoughts and prayers are with you our friend.