Old Orchard Beach Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by ontariogirl, Jan 24, 2012.

1. ontariogirl

ontariogirl
    Expand Collapse

:unsure: Any suggestions for campgrounds around Old Orchard Beach - with children - but I don't like to be super crammed in. We have never been to that area. We'd appreciate any suggestions of things to do - our kids are 9 and 11 and our friends have a teenager. Thanks so much!

2. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

You may want to tell folks where Old Orchard Beach is. Because I've been there, I guessing it is on the coast of Maine.

3. ontariogirl

ontariogirl
    Expand Collapse

Yes, southern coast of Maine. Any suggestions? I've read really contradicting views about Powderhorn. We were also looking at Paradise Park or Bayleys. Thanks!

4. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

The back part of Bayleys, sites are not to bad as far as size goes. With that said you need to keep your expectations in check, most beach area campgrounds especially in the OOB area sites are not going to be very large.

Mike

5. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Ontariogirl,

I don't want you to think I am avoiding giving you a recommendation on a place to stay in Old Orchard Beach. When I was in the area 7-8 years ago I went through Old Orchard Beach but did not stay there. I stayed in Wells Beach about 20 miles to the south and then north of Portland after that.

It is possible that one reason that you are not getting a lot of responses is that it is winter and most of the folks who RV on the coast of Maine are summer vacationers who don't view this website during the winter.

6. Cape Codger

Cape Codger
    Expand Collapse

:)
    If you don't want to be crammed in and be in an area that is just one big madhouse, may I suggest driving eighty miles farther north to Lake Pemaquid. We have stayed in the Wells and Old Orchard Beach area and found it to crowded. In fact any campground near a beach from Portland south will be cramped and crowded.
    Our grandchildren love this place and beg us every year to take them back. The only drawback is if you are looking for ocean beach there isn't any nearby.
    Just a suggestion, you didn't state what you wanted or were looking for in a campground. There is a few nice state park on the beach's in NH and even MA if a beach is what you are looking for.

7. campinggirl1964

campinggirl1964
    Expand Collapse

We stayed at Hemlock Grove campground in Arundel a few years ago. It is about 5 minutes from Kennebunkport and 1/2 hour from Old Orchard Beach. It was a very nice campground....very spacious sites, certainly more of a campground feel than an rv park. There is no pool, but there is a game room and nice playground. There are lots of things to do in the area for adults and kids. Hope you have a good trip!

8. ontariogirl

ontariogirl
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Cape Codger @ Jan 30 2012, 10:27 AM) [snapback]28690[/snapback]

:)
    If you don't want to be crammed in and be in an area that is just one big madhouse, may I suggest driving eighty miles farther north to Lake Pemaquid. We have stayed in the Wells and Old Orchard Beach area and found it to crowded. In fact any campground near a beach from Portland south will be cramped and crowded.
    Our grandchildren love this place and beg us every year to take them back. The only drawback is if you are looking for ocean beach there isn't any nearby.
    Just a suggestion, you didn't state what you wanted or were looking for in a campground. There is a few nice state park on the beach's in NH and even MA if a beach is what you are looking for.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions! - we stayed at Lake Pemaquid a few years ago, and really liked it. We could go back there. You are right - it is great for kids, and although not on the ocean, the water was beautiful. We might just return! Hadn't been to Old Orchard Beach and thought we would give it a try. We have our favourites in Mass., so it is hard to pick!