Review Download

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by the5reeds, Feb 28, 2012.

1. the5reeds

the5reeds
    Expand Collapse

Since most of us do camping on the road :), and may not have internet access, it would sure be swell if we had the ability to download some kind of summary of campground reviews (in advance) to save on a laptop. Perhaps by state or something. I'd pay to be able to do this.

2. pdq

pdq
    Expand Collapse

hi

what i do, when i've done an advanced search, is cut & paste the results into an excel document (could use word i guess, but like excel)
    don't need internet to go back to the info

works for me
    pdq

3. edcornflake

edcornflake
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pdq @ Mar 17 2012, 12:19 PM) [snapback]29062[/snapback]

hi

what i do, when i've done an advanced search, is cut & paste the results into an excel document (could use word i guess, but like excel)
    don't need internet to go back to the info

works for me
    pdq

I do the same - use word or excel depending on what I want to do with the data. You could also slap it into a PDF if you have office 2k10 and have it that way for use on a smart phone or tablet.

4. easydoesit

easydoesit
    Expand Collapse

I print the page using a PDF printer and save it in My Documents in Whatever folder I am saving my travel stuff in. You can download free PDF Printers. I use Bullzip pdf printer.

5. RV Camper1

RV Camper1
    Expand Collapse

Downloading the website information is not very practical with the very large size and thousands of entries that there are. In addition, the staff does regular updates and improvements on the data base so your information would bet dated.

6. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

7. MelindaK

MelindaK
    Expand Collapse

I usually use an excel spreadsheet for my destinations. My issue has been posting reviews of the campgrounds. Last year when I traveled from Texas to Maine I found I was too busy or tired to post some reviews. Doing that long of a trip in 39 days there was not adequate time plus I really did not want to be on the computer or deal with technology while vacationing. My intentions were to post the reviews when I got home. Now I am about to leave on my next trip and realized I did not post reviews for all the campground. Is it too late to post reviews from last October?

This year I have an iPad and I am not traveling as far. I should do better.

8. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(MelindaK @ Jul 28 2012, 01:53 PM) [snapback]30208[/snapback]

Is it too late to post reviews from last October?

Sorry, but yes, it is too late. Reviews should be submitted within 6 months of the date of stay. But we'll look forward to those from your next trip.

9. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(MelindaK @ Jul 28 2012, 11:53 AM) [snapback]30208[/snapback]

... there was not adequate time ...

I have the same challenge.
    So, I've taken to making notes on the handouts that we get from each park/campground. Capture the price paid and what it included, then some quick notes about the pad, hook-ups, front desk folks, etc.

If we are in travel mode, I make a quick round of the amenities when I walk the trash out, and jot those down before we hit the road.

If we are resting for a couple days, I make note of what the area had to offer, as well as more details about the park.

If it is our destination, I usually have too much information. :lol:

When we are settled down for a while, I transcribe my chicken scratches for each park, into an e-mail to myself. Save as drafts. Then I can go back numerous time to convert my notes into a presentable review. (Don't have 'Word' on this little labtop.)

Makes it a breeze to copy/paste from my e-mail to myself, to the review section on this site. ;)

10. Littleredsportscar

Littleredsportscar
    Expand Collapse

If you have an iPhone or an iPad I would suggest you purchase an app called allstays. It is in the app store and cost $6. It is worth every Penney and it will link each rv site to reviews on the Internet.

This is a great app. I have no affiliatin with this outfit, I just know anyone who travels and wants to see all the campgrounds, rest stops, truck stops, and much more on a road map format will love OT.

11. TXBobcat

TXBobcat
    Expand Collapse

I use Allstays also. It has a lot of good information in it as well, it will show you clearances. I review my route to see if I am going to run into a low clearance and adjust the route if one is found.

I will use notepad on my computer to compose a review of a campground while I am off line. Then I will go to the campground and enter a review by pasting in my comments at the end. This allows me to do a number of them at one time.

BC

12. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(MelindaK @ Jul 28 2012, 01:53 PM) [snapback]30208[/snapback]

I usually use an excel spreadsheet for my destinations. ...... I really did not want to be on the computer or deal with technology while vacationing.

I too have a spread sheet with info from all the CGs I've visited over the years. About 275 at present count, but not all reviewed because some were used more than once. The original purpose was to refer to it in case I was looking to stay at a particular campground again. But, it turns out that it has come in handy to provide information to others who posted to a forum asking about campgrounds in a certain region.

One of the techniques that I use to keep info accurate, current, and to write reviews is to make sure I gather up a campground flyer or brochure. I put the date of stay and then write a few notes on it that reflect what I might want to put in a review.