Good Sam Pilot/flying J Credit Card

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by DXSMac, Mar 4, 2012.

1. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Good Sam offered a deal with Pilot and Flying J, where we are supposed to get discounts on gas. I applied for it, and got an email saying that due to overwhelming response, they weren't going to get the cards out until March. Anyone got theirs yet?

JJ

2. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Mar 4 2012, 09:10 AM) [snapback]28920[/snapback]

Good Sam offered a deal with Pilot and Flying J, where we are supposed to get discounts on gas. I applied for it, and got an email saying that due to overwhelming response, they weren't going to get the cards out until March. Anyone got theirs yet?

JJ

I am still using my old Flying J discount card I have had for 8 years.

3. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

You can pick up a Flying-J card at the J (free) Frequent Fueler Advantage RV. This start the fuel pump and you will receive 3 cents off diesel and 1 cent off pump gas. I use it at truck pumps all the time and it works. This will save a trip inside to set up the pump and then back in to pay for the fuel.

4. acenorm

acenorm
    Expand Collapse

I received an email yesterday that I was to receive it soon, 5-7 days, and it had some info in the email that I needed to activate the card.

Best Regards,
    Norm

5. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I just called Good Sam about this and here's what I learned.

Since we are already members we do not need to apply for the card. They are being upgraded automatically for members.

I was told the upgraded cards are out and have been for a while. This made me wonder if the customer service rep was talking about the same card, but he seemed to think he was. Anyway, I reported that we had not gotten ours so they are sending 2 more.

Then I asked if the card had to be activated and was told no.

He also verified that in order to get the fuel discount you must also have the Pilot/Flying J Advantage Card. Just the Good Sam card will not get you the discount.

None of this may be correct, but it is what I was told.

6. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I think you talked to a GS rep that didn't understand which card you were asking about. It looks to me like they were talking about the new combined Good Sam/Camping World card that replaces both the old GS card and the CW Presidents Club card.

The new Good Sam Pilot Flying J card is a charge card that must be paid in full each month. The card must be applied for separately from the GS club card, and requires the usual credit info, SSN, etc. It does give a slightly higher discount than the Pilot Flying J Frequent Fueler Advantage card available to anyone for the asking. I prefer using my Frequent Fueler card along with a PenFed Visa card that gives me a 5% cash rebate when using pay at the pump. At $4 per gallon, that's a 22 cent per gallon discount for gas.

7. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Thanks, that clears things up.

The only info I have received was for the combined card (which also offers a fuel discount) so that is what I thought this thread was referring to. Sorry for the confusion, and I appreciate the correct information.

8. FranznHilga

FranznHilga
    Expand Collapse

I got an email yesterday that mine is supposed to show up in the next week or so. The email also contained info on authorizing the card for use. The best part about this card is that you will be able to scan, fill, and go, and not have to go inside when using the truck lanes. That rocks!! That has always been the biggest pain for us fueling in the truck lanes, due to our size, and then having to deal with paying inside after filling up.

9. Michael Kibler

Michael Kibler
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Mar 4 2012, 10:10 AM) [snapback]28920[/snapback]

JJ

I recieived mine and tried to use it on my last trip. After inserting it into the gas pump it asked for a control number. I did not have one. After I got home I looked on my paperwork and found that I had received one and did not record it. On my next trip I'll remember to have my control number handy. They, Good Sam & Pilot, seem to make you jump through hoops to get the card, activate it and then be able to use it.

10. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Michael Kibler @ Apr 5 2012, 09:48 PM) [snapback]29197[/snapback]

I recieived mine and tried to use it on my last trip. After inserting it into the gas pump it asked for a control number. I did not have one. After I got home I looked on my paperwork and found that I had received one and did not record it. On my next trip I'll remember to have my control number handy. They, Good Sam & Pilot, seem to make you jump through hoops to get the card, activate it and then be able to use it.

Thanks for that info! I have my card, just haven't use it yet. Ok.... CONTROL NUMBER!

JJ

11. ratracer

ratracer
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Apr 6 2012, 01:09 PM) [snapback]29202[/snapback]

Thanks for that info! I have my card, just haven't use it yet. Ok.... CONTROL NUMBER!

JJ

We got our card while in Florida. I tried using it once and like one person, did not have the control number with me. On our way home, I used it as a credit card. The cash price on the raod sign was $399.9 for diesel. The reciept showed I paid $3.91.9, so the information we got from Good Sam Club was spot on. Now I just have to wait to see if the bill comes from Pilot!

12. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I finally used mine. You get the bill by email. This surprises me. With other credit card companies, you get a "notification" that your bill is online and you go get it. Pilot just emails your bill as an "attachment." And, you get a "bill" each month even if your balance is ZERO.

Also, I couldn't find an address anywhere on the bill (in case anyone wants to pay it by mail or whatever). It appears you MUST go to the website to pay the bill. Well, I guess I could call the toll free number and see if I can beg for an address.

JJ

13. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

We set it up so the J will pull the money from our bank account. I think the limit was $2500 per month in fuel. That will give you around 625 gals of diesel or around 5000 miles of travel per month. If you need more you can use a different CC. Less trouble that running inside the J to have the truck pump turned on. You received the same dumb thing each time "How much fuel do you need". :rolleyes:

14. WVA3185

WVA3185
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ Aug 1 2012, 06:49 AM) [snapback]30263[/snapback]

We set it up so the J will pull the money from our bank account. I think the limit was $2500 per month in fuel. That will give you around 625 gals of diesel or around 5000 miles of travel per month. If you need more you can use a different CC. Less trouble that running inside the J to have the truck pump turned on. You received the same dumb thing each time "How much fuel do you need". :rolleyes:

Easy answer..."As many gallons as it takes to fill the tank..." :lol:

15. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(rbrumfield @ Aug 2 2012, 03:05 PM) [snapback]30281[/snapback]

Easy answer..."As many gallons as it takes to fill the tank..." :lol:

ROTF... so true :lol:

I have had a Flying J rewards card for 10 years and I just use it and my regular CC.

16. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

nedmtnman,

The card we are talked about is different. I have the old rewards card as well. You can start the pumps but that is all. The new one is from Good Sam with a discount and money comes out of your bank account. You do not need to go inside to pay.

17. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ Aug 3 2012, 09:52 AM) [snapback]30296[/snapback]

nedmtnman,

The card we are talked about is different. I have the old rewards card as well. You can start the pumps but that is all. The new one is from Good Sam with a discount and money comes out of your bank account. You do not need to go inside to pay.

The Good Sam one is the one I have. Mine is NOT a debit card, it's a credit card. In order to get the discount, I HAVE to use that credit card. I cannot start it, then go to a different credit card. Also, I bought propane and forgot to use the Pilot card, instead put in on Discover. Dang, missed the discount on that one.

18. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Aug 3 2012, 06:30 PM) [snapback]30301[/snapback]

The Good Sam one is the one I have. Mine is NOT a debit card, it's a credit card. In order to get the discount, I HAVE to use that credit card. I cannot start it, then go to a different credit card. Also, I bought propane and forgot to use the Pilot card, instead put in on Discover. Dang, missed the discount on that one.

Technically, the Good Sam/PFJ card is a "charge card", not a "credit card", since the balance is due monthly and cannot be carried over. I prefer using my PFJ Frequent Fueler card with a 5% fuel rebate credit card.

19. GandJ

GandJ
    Expand Collapse

We've used our Pilot/Flying J a few times now and liked the immediate 6 cent per gallon discount for GS LifeMembers.

As one of the other posters mentioned, paying the bill is a bit different. The first month we got (begged?) for a physical address to send payment using our bank's web bill pay which had to send a physical/paper check. It took a LONG time to get our payment credited. They apparently are not set up for electronic payments or payment via physical checks.

The next time we did it their way - using their web site's system to automatically pull the amount due from our bank account. It wasn't difficult, but I really am not fond of having to enter the routing and account numbers on their web site and giving access to our account in that manner.

20. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(GandJ @ Aug 9 2012, 11:06 AM) [snapback]30445[/snapback]

As one of the other posters mentioned, paying the bill is a bit different. The first month we got (begged?) for a physical address to send payment using our bank's web bill pay which had to send a physical/paper check. It took a LONG time to get our payment credited. They apparently are not set up for electronic payments or payment via physical checks.

The next time we did it their way - using their web site's system to automatically pull the amount due from our bank account. It wasn't difficult, but I really am not fond of having to enter the routing and account numbers on their web site and giving access to our account in that manner.

Glad it's not just me that has heartburn with that process. I didn't even try to beg for an address, but I see now that if I had tried it would have caused problems. When organizations like Good Sam set these things up, they obviously don't think about these tiny little details.....