Vehicles To Tow

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by 5vrme, Mar 6, 2012.

1. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

QUOTE(GRL @ Nov 17 2012, 01:33 AM) [snapback]31923[/snapback]

Did not want a car that I needed to keep the key in the ignition to tow.

Not sure why you are reluctant to keep a key in the ignition for towing unless you are worried about someone stealing your toad. I solved that problem with my Malibu by having the local hardware store making a key that turns in the ignition but doesn't have the necessary "chip" to cause the ignition to fire. One nice thing about using a dummy key is that we can adopt a procedure that the key is to be in the ignition any time the car is on the tow-bar. That way we can't ever forget to do it, but there's no risk of theft. We keep the dummy in the dashboard tray all the time.

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(docj @ Nov 17 2012, 09:38 AM) [snapback]31925[/snapback]

a key that turns in the ignition but doesn't have the necessary "chip" to cause the ignition to fire.

I did not know you could get a key like that. What a great idea!

3. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Nov 17 2012, 12:29 PM) [snapback]31926[/snapback]

I did not know you could get a key like that. What a great idea!

Compared to the cost of a "real key" for a modern car, a non-working dummy key is a ~$2 investment at your local hardware store.

4. GRL

GRL
    Expand Collapse

I think that some vehicles using a dummy key could screw up your computer.....

Of course I worry about someone stealing my toad.....

Turns out I don't need to leave a key in anyway....

Problem solved..... ;)

5. B. Kidd

B. Kidd
    Expand Collapse

We tow a 2009 Toyota Yaris 5-speed manual 2-door hatchback. Comes in well under 3,000 pounds, gets close to 40 m.p.g and it hasn't missed a beat in the last 3 1/2 years of full-timing. Due to the great gas mileage, it gives us the flexibility to choose from a wider variety of RV parks near destination spots without having to choose just from the RV parks located right at destination spots.
    Imagine being surrounded by herds of bison being led by bulls that are as large as our Yaris which happened in 2010 at the National Bison Range in Moiese, Montana.
    Beyond this, two sets of golf clubs and collapsible pull carts fit just fine in the storage area.

6. Jefferey

Jefferey
    Expand Collapse

Yeah Jeep Grand Cherokee is also a better option.

7. edcornflake

edcornflake
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(B. Kidd @ Nov 20 2012, 02:32 PM) [snapback]31948[/snapback]

Imagine being surrounded by herds of bison being led by bulls that are as large as our Yaris which happened in 2010 at the National Bison Range in Moiese, Montana.
    Beyond this, two sets of golf clubs and collapsible pull carts fit just fine in the storage area.

I had a Yaris rental once - I think a full grown Bison is about 3x the size! :D

8. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

9. gerry9

gerry9
    Expand Collapse

[My new wrangler is great, and easy to hook up with the Blue ox tow system.

10. B. Kidd

B. Kidd
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(edcornflake @ Feb 13 2013, 03:26 PM) [snapback]32606[/snapback]

I had a Yaris rental once - I think a full grown Bison is about 3x the size! :D

I'd be a liar EdCF if I said I was not intimidated.

11. edcornflake

edcornflake
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(B. Kidd @ Feb 16 2013, 01:33 AM) [snapback]32630[/snapback]

I'd be a liar EdCF if I said I was not intimidated.

I drive past a Buffalo farm on my daily commute (in NJ of all places) and they are some big animals. One of these days I have to bring my camera and pull over for some good pictures. Maybe in the spring when the newborns are running around!

12. SAWSAW

SAWSAW
    Expand Collapse

Does anyone think I could tow our Infiniti G37? It's a 5-speed automatic. thx

13. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

What does the owner's manual say?

14. SAWSAW

SAWSAW
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(SAWSAW @ Mar 1 2013, 09:53 AM) [snapback]32715[/snapback]

DUH -- thanks for setting me straight on the owner's manual look-up..the answer is NO.

15. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Never go by what a salesman tells you either. Lots of horror stories on doing it.

16. edcornflake

edcornflake
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(SAWSAW @ Mar 1 2013, 11:53 AM) [snapback]32715[/snapback]

So, I don't tow a car (I pull a 5er), but I always wondered why folks didn't just use a utility type trailer and pull whatever car/suv you want to pull up on it? Wouldn't it have brakes, and lights and keep you from racking up mileage, kicking stones into your own windshield, etc..? Or is there an issue with weight, height, and storage of the trailer?

17. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

The problem is what to do with trailer when you get there. Towing 4 down takes 2 minutes to get ready in and out. Only thing you wear is tires and brakes. You do that either way.

18. edcornflake

edcornflake
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Mar 5 2013, 03:41 PM) [snapback]32735[/snapback]

The problem is what to do with trailer when you get there. Towing 4 down takes 2 minutes to get ready in and out. Only thing you wear is tires and brakes. You do that either way.

Good Point.

19. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

When we got our first motorhome, we chose a tow dolly because we did not have a car that could be towed 4 down. We struggled with it for a year before we got our Jeep which is so much easier to hook up and tow flat. With the tow dolly we could push it partially underneath the coach, so storage was not our big problem. What was the problem was trying to get the car up on the tow dolly straight. We just were not good at that, and when we finally managed, then it took quite some time to get all the tie downs on it. It was a huge aggravation for us. A flatbed or cargo trailer would probably be easier to load the car onto, but they do add quite a bit of weight, and storage at RV parks does become a problem. The Jeep is now 11 years old, has over 120,000+ driven miles, and another 65,000+ towed miles, and is still going strong. We are on the 4th set of tires and have had 3 (I think) brake jobs, but even so, towing 4 down has definitely been the best for us.

20. Driver John

Driver John
    Expand Collapse

I tow an '02 Explorer Sport Trac 2wd 5spd. While I know they made them, it's the first I ever ran across. So, I bought it. I love the truck and haven't had a moments problem, however, at 4300 lbs, it is a bit heavy.