Acadia National Park

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by travelingtwo, Apr 15, 2012.

1. travelingtwo

travelingtwo
    Expand Collapse

We are heading to Acadia in June and looking for information on nicest campgrounds to stay in... I have read many conflicting reviews of several campgrounds in the area.. does anyone know if the 3rd week in June there would be many sites available? I have been unable to reach several CG by phone, as they are not yet open for the season.. i did see a CG that is on a first come first serve basis- but i am a bit leary of traveling so far (from Ohio) and not knowing if I have a site or not... also- ocean front or not? which would be best at that time of year? concerned about blackflies also at that time- need I be? Any and all info appreciated!
    :)

2. JBH

JBH
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(travelingtwo @ Apr 15 2012, 09:38 PM) [snapback]29270[/snapback]

We are heading to Acadia in June and looking for information on nicest campgrounds to stay in... I have read many conflicting reviews of several campgrounds in the area.. does anyone know if the 3rd week in June there would be many sites available? I have been unable to reach several CG by phone, as they are not yet open for the season.. i did see a CG that is on a first come first serve basis- but i am a bit leary of traveling so far (from Ohio) and not knowing if I have a site or not... also- ocean front or not? which would be best at that time of year? concerned about blackflies also at that time- need I be? Any and all info appreciated!

Take a look at Mountain View CG, we stayed there about 4 years ago and I am pretty sure the same folks own the place...but you better call them soon if you want full hook ups. We had originally planned to stay at the Mainayer CG down the road, but that place was horrible so we moved to Mountain View and absolutely loved it. With the ocean breeze we had no problems with the black flies (not possible at Mainayer). The next time we are up there, we won't stay anywhere but Mountain View. We have family in the area and this one is just far enough away...LOL!

3. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(travelingtwo @ Apr 15 2012, 09:38 PM) [snapback]29270[/snapback]

There are many Cgs in the Acadia area, and after going to this very area for the last twenty+ years, we have one that we use, "Timberland Cg" in Trenton. Trenton is about 6to8 miles outside Ellsworth, a small size city that has almost all your needs, but is not on the ocean. Ocean type Cgs are expensive and are not that many plus they did not border on the ocean but on 'back waters". As for the third week in June; their season will be just starting and should not be that crowded, July & August is another story...but....with the price of fuel as it is...the area maybe avoided for a later date. The first come first served Cg has a lot of turn over but one has to be there before later in the afternoon to choose a good spot. They have a two week,(14 day), limit. Have not been bothered by blackflies, now mosquitoes are another story. The Maine joke is, their mosquitoes are considered the states' bird....they are big and really like tourists...or as they say in Maine; people from away....... But enjoy, that's why we return year after year........

4. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

We're staying at Patton Pond in Ellsworth in July. Had good reviews and seemed to be the best fit for us.

5. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jamarynn1 @ Apr 16 2012, 01:41 PM) [snapback]29276[/snapback]

We're staying at Patton Pond in Ellsworth in July. Had good reviews and seemed to be the best fit for us.

Patton Pond is located a distance from all you want to see in the Acadia National Park area. I would guess that you would be at least 45mins to an hour from Mount Desert/Bar Harbor area, and is a distance from Ellsworth. We have not stay here only because in is far out from the area we wanted to be in. Patton Pond is also the overflow Cg that the corporation, that owns three Cgs, two being on Mount Dessert Island, and Patton Pond. The two on the island are: Narrows Cg, and Narrows 2 Cg. Have spoke to those who have stayed at Patton Pond, and their main complaint was the distance to travel to the places of interest, and dust, dirt roads within Cg. Just some info to ponder.

6. MaineDon

MaineDon
    Expand Collapse

Maine lore has it that "bug season" runs from Mother's Day to Father's Day.....and having lived in Maine for 35 years, I've found this to be pretty true. The black flies thin out as you get further into June. The mosquitoes are another matter. Another possibility might be the Branch Pond Campground, which is in north Ellsworth. It would be a little closer than the Patten Pond parks (and probably cheaper). Branch lake is beautiful and they have a few waterfront sites.

7. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Be sure to eat at the Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound. One of the best meals of my life there. It is just before the bridge to the island. You won't be sorry. The Wal-Mart at Ellsworth does not allow over nighters.

8. travelingtwo

travelingtwo
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Butch @ Apr 16 2012, 10:26 AM) [snapback]29273[/snapback]

There are many Cgs in the Acadia area, and after going to this very area for the last twenty+ years, we have one that we use, "Timberland Cg" in Trenton. Trenton is about 6to8 miles outside Ellsworth, a small size city that has almost all your needs, but is not on the ocean. Ocean type Cgs are expensive and are not that many plus they did not border on the ocean but on 'back waters". As for the third week in June; their season will be just starting and should not be that crowded, July & August is another story...but....with the price of fuel as it is...the area maybe avoided for a later date. The first come first served Cg has a lot of turn over but one has to be there before later in the afternoon to choose a good spot. They have a two week,(14 day), limit. Have not been bothered by blackflies, now mosquitoes are another story. The Maine joke is, their mosquitoes are considered the states' bird....they are big and really like tourists...or as they say in Maine; people from away....... But enjoy, that's why we return year after year........

I'm glad to hear a Timberland CG review- we were actually considering staying there. how far is it to Acadia National Park from there? Just how bad are the mosquitoes? We were once in Iowa and they literally landed on our faces as we tried to eat our dinner- there were massive swarms of them! It was awful.... I can take mosquitoes and bugs, but that was ridiculous-the worst we have ever encountered. Thanks for your help!!

9. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(travelingtwo @ Apr 19 2012, 08:59 PM) [snapback]29315[/snapback]

I'm glad to hear a Timberland CG review- we were actually considering staying there. how far is it to Acadia National Park from there? Just how bad are the mosquitoes? We were once in Iowa and they literally landed on our faces as we tried to eat our dinner- there were massive swarms of them! It was awful.... I can take mosquitoes and bugs, but that was ridiculous-the worst we have ever encountered. Thanks for your help!!

Hi travelingtwo,

Will try to answer your concerns, Acadia Nat'l Park is about 8 to 10 miles from Timberland Cg. Acadia is on Mount Desert Island, which is about thirty miles long by about twenty miles wide and is connected to the main land by a small bridge. We like Timberland location as it is close to ones needs in Ellsworth....Walmart, Home Depot, and Hannaford, Shaws, which are full service supermarkets. Plus numerous good restaurants..........
    As for the mosquitoes, they are not bad during the day, BUT, when the sun goes down, they come out of the woodwork to feed on all the tourist...Rvers/campers....new blood. We spray the ground before we light our evening campfire with a product called "Yard Guard", works for us....
    A lot to see & do in the area, don't cut yourselves short on time to visit.....enjoy....

10. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

If you don't need full hookups, what about Blackwoods campground in Acadia? They take reservations. No hookups. I don't consider it "big rig accessible", although some people take larger 5th wheels in there. You are in the park itself, and have easy access to the shuttle bus system.

11. TheJim

TheJim
    Expand Collapse

We spent the last two summers working at Acadia NP. You will need at least two weeks to see the park. I would recommend Bar Harbor CG. It is close enough into Acadia that you will not have to worry about traffic. The shuttle stops right in front of the CG. There are no reservations, but that should not be a big problem for you. July and August are another story, very busy. If you stay far out, you will hate the traffic. There are good food stores in Bar Harbor. The fear of the black flies and mosquitoes are over rated. Don't worry about them. Enjoy your visit.