Rv Park/ Resort Safety

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Volpe Family, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Volpe Family

Volpe Family
    Expand Collapse

I am in the beginning of planning my first long haul trip from the west coast to the east coast, along I-40. I have heard several things about alot of parks out there and wonder how much of this is true. Not knowing the area you are taking risks, are there anyone out there who may hvae had safety concerns along the interstate and how have you combated this?

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We have been RVing for 12 years and have never run into any trouble. I'm not sure what you've heard, but there are a lot of really good parks along I-40. Just choose reputable parks with good reviews and follow normal precautions. If a park looks run down and unsafe--drive on. You should be fine.

3. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

After more than 1200 nights in commercial rv parks, state parks, and COE areas in five years, I can honestly say that we never felt threatened, unsafe, or super vigilant while staying overnight. We have had some uncomfortable "vibes" at highway rest areas and truck stop parking lots when we stopped for short breaks, and one "incident" at a rest area, but we do not overnight there, so when the characters around us look shady we just move on.

4. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

We have been fulltiming for over 9 years and have been down I-40 many times with no problems.

5. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Over 14 years now with no problems anyplace in RV parks, rest stops, Flying-J, and a couple Walmart parking lots due to bad weather. I think you would be OK.

6. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

I've been camping since 1956. No problems ever anywhere.

7. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

As Texasrvers pointed out, just choose reputable parks with the good reviews. With that said we found out the hard way ten yrs ago what happens when you don't properly research/check the reviews of a campground, since then have had nothing but great experiences!

Mike

8. pdq

pdq
    Expand Collapse

hi mid:

to help provide a better reply, can you elaborate on "I have heard several things about alot of parks out there and wonder how much of this is true": just what have you heard?

thanks
    pdq

9. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

Never had a problem in a park but then again I have not had one at my house either. I have had an issue in a fuel station while filling up and once in the middle of the day in a rest stop in NC. I will say that I do not really worry about it. It is second nature to be aware of my surroundings at all times. I have two pups who will bark if there is a noise or if someone is touching the RV too loudly. Then again, I have walked in some dark places and survived. I doubt that the perpetrator has that experience and knowledge is power. Also, a 40K pound motorhome is a pretty imposing sight if you are in a car and are bothering me too.

10. long haul

long haul
    Expand Collapse

Always make sure all your items outside the RV are locked up such as bikes,chairs or portable BBQs. I have been at camps that others have reported those items stole. In one camp in Florida there was a late night scam that went as follows - a late night knock on victums RV door and someone saying that they had a fith wheel trailer with a bad circuit breaker and they needed $20 cash to buy a new one they would repay the victum in the morning.
    With the these hard times small time crooks are on the job so always use common sense and your trip will be fun and trouble free.

11. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Mid Life Trailers @ Apr 24 2012, 04:38 PM) [snapback]29363[/snapback]

I am in the beginning of planning my first long haul trip from the west coast to the east coast, along I-40...

Although we've not been east of Oklahoma City on I-40 in a motorhome, (heading north on 1-35 at that junction), I can personally vouch for the trip west. You will pass through some amazing country and history. My DH particularly likes I-40 as the state of Texas doesn't seem quite so large... :lol:
    Plot your driving distances to put you in generally rated 7 and above RV Parks along the way. 99% of those parks have management that will make you feel welcomed, comfortable and safe.
    Enjoy your trip!
    Cheers B)

12. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

Always make sure all your items outside the RV are locked up such as bikes,chairs or portable BBQs.

What a royal pain that would be. The only time we even think about putting stuff away like that is when we are at a state/county/city park where day use visitors have easy access. But since we rarely stay in those, we simply let the stuff out and do not worry about it. When the time comes when we cannot, we will have to find another way to travel, I guess.

13. JBH

JBH
    Expand Collapse

With the exception of the west coast end of 40, I would not have any concerns...California is the only state on the route that doesn't believe I have the right to protect myself or my property... :blink:

14. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

We have camped in all of the lower 48 and only had one problem. This was at a Wal-Mart outside Washington, DC. We saw what appeared to be a drug dealer in a truck camper selling drugs. We moved to the other side of the lot and informed the security guy. The deals continued on unabated, but we were fine. I carry a shot gun with a pistol grip in the coach and a small pistol in the truck. I also have a NRA sticker on my window next to the door which I think scares away robbers. I also purchased a "fake" security system from Radio Shack. It is a small flashing red light run by 2 AA batteries and is just a little bit bigger than the batteries themselves. i place it next to the door and it flashes all night making robbers think we have a security system. It was about $3.

15. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I've heard several police officers in personal safety courses say that having NRA stickers on your home or vehicles is an invitation to thieves looking for guns. I've also read a number of reports about the stickers on cars and RV's prompting extended searches when entering Canada. I have nothing against NRA membership, but I can see where being a bit discreet about it might be advantageous.

16. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

If somebody breaks into my RV looking for a gun, they will find one.

17. JBH

JBH
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Apr 29 2012, 11:13 AM) [snapback]29410[/snapback]

If somebody breaks into my RV looking for a gun, they will find one.

Ditto...but only if I'm there...then it would be too late... B)

18. MelBtraveln

MelBtraveln
    Expand Collapse

When your travels on I-40 take you through the Texas panhandle and Amarillo, take a little "side trip" south on I-27 to the town of Canyon, TX (about 13 miles south of Amarillo) and take the exit to Palo Duro Canyon State Park. If you are there in the summer, get tickets to the outdoor musical drama, "Texas!" and kick in the extra bucks for the catered bar-b-q dinner before the show.

The Palo Duro is a beautiful canyon, and a real gem in the Texas State Parks system. It's a shock to drive across the flat plains then suddenly come to the huge gash in the earth! It pales in size when compared to the Grand Canyon (been there, too), but I love the Palo Duro for its accessibility. You can rent little cabins in the canyon bottom or for a spectacular view at sunset and sunrise, on the canyon rim (primitive, but adequate). Or you can park your rig in any of several campgrounds within the State Park. I have camped there in all seasons, hiked the trails countless times and ridden horseback through parts of the canyon you won't see from a car.

If you're traveling I-40, it would be a real shame not to take the time to pop down to spend a few days in the Palo Duro. Most people don't take the time and they miss an amazing camping experience.

Oh, and another "not-to-miss" venue in that area is the Panhandle-Plains Museum on the campus of West Texas A&M University in the town of Canyon, TX, just south of Amarillo. It's a marvelous museum and most assuredly worth the 15 minute drive south of Amarillo to see it!

19. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(MelBtraveln @ Aug 7 2014, 01:29 AM) [snapback]37645[/snapback]

When your travels on I-40 take you through the Texas panhandle and Amarillo, take a little "side trip" south on I-27 to the town of Canyon, TX (about 13 miles south of Amarillo) and take the exit to Palo Duro Canyon State Park. If you are there in the summer, get tickets to the outdoor musical drama, "Texas!" and kick in the extra bucks for the catered bar-b-q dinner before the show.

The Palo Duro is a beautiful canyon, and a real gem in the Texas State Parks system. It's a shock to drive across the flat plains then suddenly come to the huge gash in the earth! It pales in size when compared to the Grand Canyon (been there, too), but I love the Palo Duro for its accessibility. You can rent little cabins in the canyon bottom or for a spectacular view at sunset and sunrise, on the canyon rim (primitive, but adequate). Or you can park your rig in any of several campgrounds within the State Park. I have camped there in all seasons, hiked the trails countless times and ridden horseback through parts of the canyon you won't see from a car.

If you're traveling I-40, it would be a real shame not to take the time to pop down to spend a few days in the Palo Duro. Most people don't take the time and they miss an amazing camping experience.

Oh, and another "not-to-miss" venue in that area is the Panhandle-Plains Museum on the campus of West Texas A&M University in the town of Canyon, TX, just south of Amarillo. It's a marvelous museum and most assuredly worth the 15 minute drive south of Amarillo to see it!

Is this posted on the right thread? I don't see anything about park safety in your comment.

20. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I can't lend much here about the I-40 corridor as we've only gone as far east as Needles on that road. But like several others have stated, as long as you do some initial homework and try to plan your stops at parks that have an overall good rating and that serve your needs. etc., then you shouldn't have any problems to be concerned about. I travel "protected" also as many of us do but in our traveling times in the past I have never once even come close to having to display, much less use. that "protection". Most decent parks are safe, and during the summer months you will usually find most of them pretty much filled up, and that also offers some added safety. We have noticed some shady characters at various rest stops from time to time and one time I did have to throw a look at one guy that I believe told him I would not be an easy hit if he was thinking about that. Any of us can get into trouble at any unexpected time but by being alert and aware of the surroundings, etc. trouble usually won't find you. Don't mean to be sounding like I am preaching to the congregation here but common sense usually prevails in most situations. Happy travels, enjoy your trip across I-40 and when you pass thru Ludlow, CA be sure and stop and check out the Ludlow Cafe for breakfast or lunch if you are in the mood for a pit stop. Doesn't look like much but the food is very good................ :)

Regards, BankShot