Wyoming Route Assistance

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by A.E.Michell, Apr 29, 2012.

1. A.E.Michell

A.E.Michell
    Expand Collapse

Hi! Planning a trip in late summer and since I am totally unfamiliar with this area can someone give advice for the best route to take from Cody to Devils Tower Wyoming. it appears on the map to be lots of curvy roads. We have a 35 ft. gas motorhome and will be towing a Jeep. Thanks.

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We have been all over Wyoming, but not the route from Cody to Devil's Tower. The Streets and Trips route takes you from Cody to Graybull, then Hwy 14 to Ranchester on I-90. Hwy 14 is the stretch that looks the worst to me. If I were doing this I would probably go south out of Graybull to Worland, then Hwy 16 to Buffalo. Maybe someone who is more familiar with these roads can give you better advice about the Hwy 14 stretch. If you are not in a big hurry you could go from Cody down to Thermopolis. It is an interesting place with all its hot springs. Then go back up to Worland and across Hwy 16 to Buffalo. We have driven on I-90 from Montana down to Buffalo, then east on I-90 to Sundance and then north to Devil's Tower on the road just west of Sundance. We, too, were in a larger motorhome (37') towing a Jeep and we had no problem on that stretch of road.

3. A.E.Michell

A.E.Michell
    Expand Collapse

Thank you. We will be seeing Thermopolis as we are coming from the south at rocky Mt. National Park. So if anyone has any experience on 14 or on16 form Worland to Buffalo I would love to hear from you.Thank you

4. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

A.E.

I've done both the 14 and 16 routes west of Bufffalo several times 2-4 years ago. I have not done the Alt14 route. Both routes are extremely scenic (14 has Shell canyon and a great waterfall stop) and both have 9,000'+ passes to get over. You are crossing the 12-13,000" Bighorn Mountains and the only way to avoid this mountain range is to go at least 100 miles out of your way north or south before heading east. Hundreds of RVs of all types and sizes take these 2 routes every summer. You are simply not going to get from Greybull or Worland on the west side of the Bighorns to Buffalo on the east side of the range in less than 2 hours. Take your time and enjoy the ride.

Buffalo has several nice RV parks. I'd stay there after the drive from Cody and then head to Devils Tower the next day.

5. A.E.Michell

A.E.Michell
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Apr 30 2012, 09:51 PM) [snapback]29424[/snapback]

A.E.

I've done both the 14 and 16 routes west of Bufffalo several times 2-4 years ago. I have not done the Alt14 route. Both routes are extremely scenic (14 has Shell canyon and a great waterfall stop) and both have 9,000'+ passes to get over. You are crossing the 12-13,000" Bighorn Mountains and the only way to avoid this mountain range is to go at least 100 miles out of your way north or south before heading east. Hundreds of RVs of all types and sizes take these 2 routes every summer. You are simply not going to get from Greybull or Worland on the west side of the Bighorns to Buffalo on the east side of the range in less than 2 hours. Take your time and enjoy the ride.

Buffalo has several nice RV parks. I'd stay there after the drive from Cody and then head to Devils Tower the next day.

Thank you for the reply..I think 16 will be the route of choice. A.E.