Camping With A Modified Truck-do Places Rent?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Dwayne235, May 23, 2012.

1. Dwayne235

Dwayne235
    Expand Collapse

Converting a 24' box truck into something to go workkamping with. Not fancy. Am I going to have a problem finding a place to stay? Thinking of Fernley, NV with Amazon.

2. JBH

JBH
    Expand Collapse

I don't think Fernley, NV has an RV park that will turn down your money regarless of what you are driving.

3. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Dwayne, we have a lot of box trucks at my work, and I was sondering what it would be like to convert one. Are you going to connect the cab so you can access the living space from the drivers area?

I agree with the last poster that most places will take you $$ as long its good. There are some "resorts" that only accept class A motor homes or ones that have an age limit on what rigs they aill allow, but they are few and far between.

4. Dwayne235

Dwayne235
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Fitzjohnfan @ May 24 2012, 04:03 PM) [snapback]29584[/snapback]

Dwayne, we have a lot of box trucks at my work, and I was sondering what it would be like to convert one. Are you going to connect the cab so you can access the living space from the drivers area?

I agree with the last poster that most places will take you $$ as long its good. There are some "resorts" that only accept class A motor homes or ones that have an age limit on what rigs they aill allow, but they are few and far between.

It is pretty hard to connect the cab. I had built my house using insulated concrete forms (ICF). This is 2" of foam, 6" of concrete, 2" of foam. Have plenty of scrap to use up. If you take the expanding foam it makes it stick easy. What I am going to do is just build a frame out of 2 x 4, using regular outside doors. Picked up some windows from an RV being scrapped. Install holding tanks below, just have them stick the pipes up 12" into the unit. Then build a box around them with a toilet and shower. Lots of room to install any pipes needed. It is a 24' box, going to just build a back wall with another outside door 21' back, giving me a 3' porch. Has a slide up door.
    I consider it to be a "poor man rv", but the truck only cost me $2300, then another $1500 in parts.

5. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I have seen a pretty extensive website of somebody that did this before. He had a lot of photos and how to's on it. I believe he used it as a stealth camper during the week as his home was a long way from work. He lived in it 4 to 5 day a week and moved around from various parking lots. It was totally set up as a livable camper. The link below would be a good place to start.

clicky