Gas Station Roof Heights

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by jmcf46, Jun 8, 2012.

1. jmcf46

jmcf46
    Expand Collapse

Just a quick question. Is their a standard height for the overhangs or roofs at gas stations and what is it? My new 5th wheeler is 12 ft high. I wonder if I could run into problems getting gas.

Thanks
    Jim

2. VtLee

VtLee
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jmcf46 @ Jun 8 2012, 07:37 PM) [snapback]29668[/snapback]

Just a quick question. Is their a standard height for the overhangs or roofs at gas stations and what is it? My new 5th wheeler is 12 ft high. I wonder if I could run into problems getting gas.

Thanks
    Jim

I never had a problem and my 5er is twelve feet also. Most are around 16 ft.

3. fpullanosr

fpullanosr
    Expand Collapse

Don't know if there are standard heights but we have been traveling for six years with a 13 foot height and seldom find that fuel docks cant accommodate us. If your traveling interstates, truck stops can certainly accommodate ant RV,

4. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

With the exception of a very few old secondary road stations, I've never seen a station canopy that could not accommodate the 13'6" legal maximum vehicle height.

5. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Dutch_12078 @ Jun 9 2012, 07:24 AM) [snapback]29680[/snapback]

With the exception of a very few old secondary road stations, I've never seen a station canopy that could not accommodate the 13'6" legal maximum vehicle height.

Our experience has been somewhat different. We require diesel and, many times, the available stops for us on secondary roads that can accommodate our height are few and far between, and some of those that can are just so close in roof height we would only attempt it in an emergency. When we are traveling in areas with little truck traffic and sparse population we plan our fuel stops in advance. This may involve detouring a few miles to a major highway with a truck stop - not a huge problem unless needing fuel sneaks up on you. This may be a hidden advantage, also, as buying diesel from an isolated mom and pop with little diesel volume, I have read, is something to avoid anyway.

6. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Even if the roof is a little low, it shouldn't cause too much problem. See below:

click here

7. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

Local, state and federal roads must have the height marked if under 14' 6". If I recall that is the height, anyway. There is no set rule as what the gas station canopy should be. Some of the owners put up signs, to warn of the height. Most of the truck stops cater to 13' 6" trailers so you should be fine.
    It's really up to you to make sure that you can clear. Don't believe a sign. Check it for yourself, if you feel your close. The sign could be old and the lot could have been paved 3 or more times after the sign was put up, which will change the height.

Tor Mom likes this.