Traffic/train Noise

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by MaineDon, Jul 24, 2012.

1. MaineDon

MaineDon
    Expand Collapse

The issue of reporting campground noise from trains or traffic has been raised in other threads (see Do Your Research or Considerations When Rating). Others have suggested that this is not appropriate since (1) park owners can't do anything to control such noise, or (2) one should be able to judge noise level given proximity to highways or tracks. I am not certain that I agree with this position. Our RV travel is now mostly cross-country, comprising a series of 6-7 hour driving days. Thus, getting a good night's sleep is important. Our experience has been that proximity to tracks or apparent distance off a highway are not always reliable predictors of park noise. Several years ago, we stayed in a park near Asheville, NC, where the tracks were over a mile away from the campground, but we found ourselves on the opposite side of a valley from the tracks and the noise reverberated! The trains ran and honked incessantly all night and we got very little sleep. Alternately, we stayed at a park in SE Arizona where the tracks were far closer to the campground than in Asheville, but there were no crossings nearby (i.e., no honking), and the train noise was minimal. We read a comment stating this on RV Park Reviews and it was helpful in selecting this park. We've had the same experience with traffic noise. In Colorado, we stayed in a park that was only two short blocks off busy Interstate #70, but was described in a review as "Close to the highway, but nice and quiet". When we got there, we found that a hill separated the park from the highway and traffic noise was not a problem. Alternately, crossing Iowa on Interstate #80 two summers ago, we selected a park that, from Trailer Life's description, sounded as if it were several miles off the Interstate. But by the time we followed the driving instructions (Turn right....Angle left......1/2 mile on ***** Road, enter on the Left, etc.) we had driven in a large U and were right back on Interstate #80. The noise was horrible. Perhaps, traffic/train noise should not be factored in to the Overall Rating for a park (because owners can't do much about it?), but it is certainly helpful for us to be forewarned when a park is noisy from these sources versus when train/traffic noise is not a problem.

2. fpullanosr

fpullanosr
    Expand Collapse

Train and traffic noise affects people differently.

I have heard people say that the sound of a train whistle in the night is a pleasant and enjoyable one.

If the sounds or volume of such is objectionable to a review poster, I'm sure they would indicate that in their writings.

If the sounds are disturbing to you, simply state that in your next post.

In the meant time,...too each his own...

QUOTE(MaineDon @ Jul 24 2012, 12:37 PM) [snapback]30164[/snapback]

The issue of reporting campground noise from trains or traffic has been raised in other threads (see Do Your Research or Considerations When Rating). Others have suggested that this is not appropriate since (1) park owners can't do anything to control such noise, or (2) one should be able to judge noise level given proximity to highways or tracks. I am not certain that I agree with this position. Our RV travel is now mostly cross-country, comprising a series of 6-7 hour driving days. Thus, getting a good night's sleep is important. Our experience has been that proximity to tracks or apparent distance off a highway are not always reliable predictors of park noise. Several years ago, we stayed in a park near Asheville, NC, where the tracks were over a mile away from the campground, but we found ourselves on the opposite side of a valley from the tracks and the noise reverberated! The trains ran and honked incessantly all night and we got very little sleep. Alternately, we stayed at a park in SE Arizona where the tracks were far closer to the campground than in Asheville, but there were no crossings nearby (i.e., no honking), and the train noise was minimal. We read a comment stating this on RV Park Reviews and it was helpful in selecting this park. We've had the same experience with traffic noise. In Colorado, we stayed in a park that was only two short blocks off busy Interstate #70, but was described in a review as "Close to the highway, but nice and quiet". When we got there, we found that a hill separated the park from the highway and traffic noise was not a problem. Alternately, crossing Iowa on Interstate #80 two summers ago, we selected a park that, from Trailer Life's description, sounded as if it were several miles off the Interstate. But by the time we followed the driving instructions (Turn right....Angle left......1/2 mile on ***** Road, enter on the Left, etc.) we had driven in a large U and were right back on Interstate #80. The noise was horrible. Perhaps, traffic/train noise should not be factored in to the Overall Rating for a park (because owners can't do much about it?), but it is certainly helpful for us to be forewarned when a park is noisy from these sources versus when train/traffic noise is not a problem.

3. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

Just like MaineDon, (Hi neighbour!), we like to have a quiet night after a long day on the road. We don't mind to drive an extra couple of miles to get to a quiet spot, so we do factor this in when selecting a campground. It is true that local geographical features have a big influence on the noise perceived, so we like to know about it. There are a couple of parks along I95 that are within 200 feet of the highway and it always surprises me how few people mention the traffic noise. As for the fact that owners of these places have no control over this, I beg to differ. After all, they opened a campground within a few feet of a major highway!

4. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

I add this information into the review. If a person needs to know then you have it. We know the park cannot move away from RxR tracks or high speed roads that never stop day or nigh but I think you need to know about the noise problems. I like little or no noise sites at night if we can find this type of place. One park in KS was so nice but our site was less than 100 feet from two high speed tracks that run 24 hours a day. We spent the nigh in a cement mixer as the ground was moving each time a train went by. I rated the park as a very nice place but did note the RxR tracks in my comments. No horns only fast moving trains.

Please note that trains last used whistles on steam engines back in 1950. All diesel train engines now use air horns only, no more whistles. :)

5. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

The noise issue is obviously important for a good nights sleep and for those of us who might like to sit out at night after dinner. I like seeing it on reviews, but you have to take several things into consideration. Tent and POP-up campers will hear noises much more than hard-sided campers. In the summer months, people may close their Windows and run their A/C all night, whereas in fall and spring, more Windows are open. Also, where the person parks in relation to the noise, obviously would have an affect.

If a park consistently gets noise complaints, they might be able to put up a noise barrier, unless its coming from planes overhead, so its not completely out of their control.

6. joez

joez
    Expand Collapse

Others have suggested that this is not appropriate since (1) park owners can't do anything to control such noise, or (2) one should be able to judge noise level given proximity to highways or tracks. I am not certain that I agree with this position.

IMO, whether a business has control or not has nothing to do with the affect on ratings. If a park is next to a beautiful landscape I would certainly give them a positive, even though they did not control it. I would also downgrade if noise or some other aspect was a negative. A park experience is just that - what you experience. If it is noisy it is noisy, whether the owner can control it or not. I would be miffed to arrive at a high rated park only to find that previous reviewers had ignored the noise because "the owner could not control it". Just my $0.02.

7. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

I would like to know about train and or road noise. It is helpful to me in deciding where to stay. I don't do well with a lot of train noise and horn honking so it is important.

8. Tallboy

Tallboy
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(nedmtnman @ Jul 25 2012, 08:52 AM) [snapback]30176[/snapback]

I would like to know about train and or road noise. It is helpful to me in deciding where to stay. I don't do well with a lot of train noise and horn honking so it is important.

Same here. Plus I put it in the reviews. Call it an ear plug park.

9. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

We always include these in our reviews they a problem. I would want somebody to let me know. We have had several bad experiences over the years. We even had the trains shake the RV along Lake Lanier in North West Georgia. I do realize that after a while, you get used to it. The man that works at a sewer plant doesn't notice the smell anymore. The purpose of the reviews is to inform your fellow campers what they can expect.

10. waterboy

waterboy
    Expand Collapse

Just joined this board and posted two reviews before I saw this post, and both of them included comments about the (lack of) noise. I think it is important information for those people who want peace and quiet, even if noise level may be subjective. It is a feature of the park, just as much as an unpleasant odor drifting in from a nearby landfill would be, regardless of whether or not the owner can do anything about it.

11. rgatijnet

rgatijnet
    Expand Collapse

I was staying at a park in Dillon, SC, right off of I-75. The highway noise was not too objectionable and was of no concern at all for us. In the late evening, we became aware of this noise in the background that sounded familiar, but nothing clicked at the time. The noise started getting louder and louder and then it dawned on us that it was an airplane. We had no idea that we were spending the night right next to an airport. We thought that this was a plane making an emergency landing in the field by the park. We laughed about it afterwards since I have owned several planes myself. That was the only plane that we heard during our overnight stay and I did not include the airport proximity in my review. I figured I'd let others be surprised like we were since it is very infrequent. :D
    Railroad noise that is objectionable and goes well into the night, or excessive traffic noise, I will mention in my reviews.

12. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

By all means, noise should be mentioned in the reviews. I'm aware that the campground has no control over the traffic, trains, etc., but it is definitely a factor when I choose a park. I would never stay at a park that had consistant reviews mentioning that trains went by all night long blowing their horns, the noise from the highway was deafening, etc., even if only staying one night (especially staying one night because that means I've had a long day of traveling and will have another long day tomorrow.) Two years ago, we stayed at an otherwise perfectly lovely park that unfortunately was next door to the local animal control facility. The barking was constant, day and night. Not my idea of relaxing after a long day.....

13. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(John Blue @ Jul 24 2012, 01:46 PM) [snapback]30169[/snapback]

Please note that trains last used whistles on steam engines back in 1950. All diesel train engines now use air horns only, no more whistles. :)

Ah yes, but a whistle sounds so much more nostalgic and pleasant than a horn.

14. B. Kidd

B. Kidd
    Expand Collapse

Hey MaineD!

I have 90% hearing loss in my right ear and my left ear is usually buried in the pillow while I'm sleeping.
    So don't take my word if I don't hear that train a'comin!

15. US Travelers

US Travelers
    Expand Collapse

We just came back from our second nationwide trip and I made several reviews that I thought were worth talking about and sharing. One absolutely horrible review and most of them very positive.

I'm a newbie, today in fact. So I believe my reviews are in the approval mode and will hopefully be approved when read by the moderator(s).

We had a lot of luck to be at peaceful, beautiful and quiet campgrounds for much of our trip. I hope our reviews will help people who travel across our beautiful nation.

In closing, we have found that most quiet parks are the State Parks, National Parks and COE Parks because they are out of the way and not too close to cities. The fact of first come, first served and availability might not work for everyone including there might not have full hook-ups in most parks and some there is everything except sewer. We do a combination of dry camping, partial hook-ups and full hook-ups when traveling our beautiful Nation. There are reservations accepted in some of these parks. We did have a couple of reservations and we didn't have reservations when we just drove in and took a chance mostly. Our travel dates were Mid-April through the end of June this year.

Happy Safe and peaceful traveling to all of you, friends.

Sincerely,
    US Travelers

16. edcornflake

edcornflake
    Expand Collapse

You should definitely mention it, and be reasonable about just how loud it is. If you're inside with the AC on and you can't hear the TV over the highway/train noise, that's a little different than hearing engine breaking every 30 or 40 minutes 8 miles away when the windows are open. Provide enough info that folks can make an informed decision based on what they can tolerate.

I've mentioned before, one of the most pleasant evenenings I've had camping was sitting outside with my Father in Law, just listening to I 95 in NC. It was hypnotic. Other folks might take the exact same sound and write that it was an incessant hum from which there is no escape.

17. Wink

Wink
    Expand Collapse

I love train noise if it is N & S Corp. It reminds me where my retirment check comes from. :rolleyes:
    As said if it sounds like it is coming Thur the camp ground make a note of it.If you can just hear it there is not to many places you can`t hear a train horn.Also if the camp ground says close to Interstate what ever I would think you would think you could hear traffic on it.Also if it is in a city like Daytona KOA you will hear traffic. :rolleyes:

18. a.d

a.d
    Expand Collapse

I believe that noise reporting is very inportant . I personally do not care if traffic noise is or is not the parks fault or if the park can or cannot do any thing about it. I just know while traveling, I need a good night sleep. It helps to protect me and my significant other and others from me on the road, from potential accidents do to lack of sleep. Also makes for a much more pleasent trip. So keep reporting on the noise.

19. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

If I notice there's a noise issue whether its highway, train, or loud inconsiderate camping neighbors I will post it in my reviews and rate the review accordingly...That being said with just one exception have never had an issue where noise was over the top.

Mike

20. jan-n-john

jan-n-john
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(mdcamping @ Aug 2 2012, 08:11 PM) [snapback]30286[/snapback]

If I notice there's a noise issue whether its highway, train, or loud inconsiderate camping neighbors I will post it in my reviews and rate the review accordingly...That being said with just one exception have never had an issue where noise was over the top.

Mike

I think most would agree that it is not only OK to report train or highway noise, it is the only fair thing to do -- the purpose of reviews is to let others know what a place is like so they have information to make a better decision whether or not they want to use it. Why a certain place has a certain characteristic, such as road noise, is not relevant; all that matters is that others have the opportunity to be aware of the conditions.

I don't think that applies to noisy neighbors, however. Unless it is a place where the noisy neighbors are permanent, then reporting on that experience has little value for readers of that review. IMO, reviews on this website aren't a place to vent -- the purpose is to convey useful and pertinent information to others, and should be kept to that.