Traffic/train Noise

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by MaineDon, Jul 24, 2012.

1. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

I agree that the noise should be commented on. With us, noise from trains and traffic isn't a bother at all but for some it can be really nerve racking. The only time I could see commenting about noisy neighbors is if it gets really bad, was reported to management and nothing was done. I am a manager of a CG and people find out really fast that when quiet time gets here it WILL be enforced. I cannot control traffic or train noises but I can, and will, control noisy campers. Any manager that won't do that deserves to have comments made about their lack of attention to quiet time rules.

2. MaineDon

MaineDon
    Expand Collapse

I am happy to see that there seems to be a consensus here: traffic/train noise (or lack thereof) is relevant for posting. Even for those two who noted that some people love to listen to trains/traffic noise, if (when true) we post "the trains honked all night", then the train lovers will know where to stay.....lol! I am glad to see that many others feel as we do. Namely, that a good night's sleep is essential to enjoyable RV travel. Thanks for your replies everyone.

3. B. Kidd

B. Kidd
    Expand Collapse

A retired train engineer that I met a few years ago said that regulations require that the whistle should not be blown for more then 4 concecutive seconds at a time.
    Sooo much for regulations................ :lol: .

4. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(B. Kidd @ Aug 4 2012, 08:07 PM) [snapback]30317[/snapback]

A retired train engineer that I met a few years ago said that regulations require that the whistle should not be blown for more then 4 concecutive seconds at a time.
    Sooo much for regulations................ :lol: .

For a few months we had an engineer that would start his horn 2 miles before getting near us (no crossings within that area) and not let off of it until he had gone over the crossing over a mile past us. Unless we could give them the engine number they "couldn't" do anything about it. Since it was done about 4 AM those days of the week that he came through it was a bit difficult for anyone to provide them with that number.

5. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

QUOTE(dalsgal @ Aug 5 2012, 07:33 AM) [snapback]30328[/snapback]

For a few months we had an engineer that would start his horn 2 miles before getting near us (no crossings within that area) and not let off of it until he had gone over the crossing over a mile past us. Unless we could give them the engine number they "couldn't" do anything about it. Since it was done about 4 AM those days of the week that he came through it was a bit difficult for anyone to provide them with that number.

Sounds like he had to much coffee!! :D

Mike

6. B. Kidd

B. Kidd
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(mdcamping @ Aug 5 2012, 11:32 AM) [snapback]30340[/snapback]

Sounds like he had to much coffee!! :D

Mike

Or more like that the engineer knew someone nearby and was just sayin' 'howdy'. An engineer that runs by our winter retreat park in Yuma knows someone in the RV park and lets him and the rest of us know when he is travellin' by.
    Sort of a different take on "3:10 to Yuma". But when it is 3:10 a.m., at times I wish that he'd leave us retired people alone and not remind us that he is still working! :eek:

7. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

We always thought he might have an ex that he was trying to get back at. Once in a while wouldn't have been bad but several times a week for months got to be old real fast.

8. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Generally, I will comment on train or traffic noise if I notice it. I usually only mention it not because it bothers me, but because it is evidently very important to a majority of the folks here. I have seen many reviews where the noise complaint comes up in a review of a park with which I am familiar and have never noticed the noise in the park. Being a lifelong urban dweller, it takes a higher level of noise for me to notice it than the typical forum member on this site. So, if I mention noise it is probably enough to bother most folks here. That said, shortly after this thread began, I did a review of the municipal RV park/CG in Two Harbors, MN but failed to mention the road noise even though I did notice it from MN Highway 61 (the park sits between the highway and Lake Superior) and all sites are within a few hundred yards of the road.

9. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jan-n-john @ Aug 3 2012, 01:44 PM) [snapback]30297[/snapback]

IMO, reviews on this website aren't a place to vent -- the purpose is to convey useful and pertinent information to others, and should be kept to that.

Amen!

10. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I certainly agree this web site is no place for venting or flaming.

That said, If you hear or see things concerning campground rules/security not being enforced, something brief should be posted on the reviews to inform other RVers to let them know whats going on at the campground....That way were all helping each other out to insure all our camping experiences are enjoyable and safe.

Mike

11. GandJ

GandJ
    Expand Collapse

First of all, a huge and heartfelt thank-you-very-much to those who take the time to write campground reviews. They are greatly appreciated!

-and-

YES! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE include references to train and traffic noise when doing campground reviews. Although the occasional train whistle off in the distance is quite enjoyable, being shaken and rattled out of our bed several times a night by close-passing trains a deal breaker for us. Such was the case at one of the campgrounds in the Williamsburg, VA area. Nice place and nice people, but we won't be back due to the train noise.

While you're at it, for those of us who do on occasion need to use the campground showers: Would you also please include in reviews whether the showers have LATCHABLE doors or just a shower curtain. Was recently on the receiving end of a "Lookie Lou" incident in a shower which had only a curtain. Yikes!

12. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(GandJ @ Aug 9 2012, 11:48 AM) [snapback]30443[/snapback]

...recently on the receiving end of a "Lookie Lou" incident in a shower which had only a curtain. Yikes!

:eek:
    Yikes indeed! I had this happen in our travels, but it was the little kids while their Mom was showering. All I had to do was say: "Where is you Mom?" and their mother was on them like a duck on june bugs. (Pechanga RV Resort, Temecula California, January 2007) .