Cruiseamerica.com Rentals

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by bjma, Jul 26, 2012.

1. bjma

bjma
    Expand Collapse

oh man... amd I ---- upset. We had to give up the beloved Bounder, fuel, costs, the motorhome was an expense we had to live without...

a death in the family is causing us to travel to Bozeman. I refuse to fly, so the plan was for me to drive and leave three days before the family flew out.

My wife did some checking and decided that we could rent an RV, save on motel, and since I was already going to be there with the car, the rented RV would be the better option.

We rented via a local agency, sub contrator, and all was OK, until we got on the road.

I will not bore you with details, but some serious, potentially dangerous issues have surfaced, so a call to CruiseAmerica on Tuesday, went un answered, no call back. A call on Wednesday, went un answered, no call back. A call on Thursday was fanally answered by a phone operator that worked from a script... and no followup call yet and it has been 12 hours since we called this morning.

I know it is a rental, I know it is the cheapest piece of junk that they could find and call it a rental RV... if it we MY company, I'd be embarassed to put the company logo on this junker.

If anything, my wife and I decided to never rent again (wow, we are only two days into a 21 day contract too) and we need to keep looking to buy another motorhome.

BUT, in the mean time, do we accept our losses, consider it a learned lesson, or does anyone have experience with CruiseAmerica and possible partial refunds??

Bob

2. RV Camper1

RV Camper1
    Expand Collapse

We have known several people who have been satisfied with rentals from Cruise America. Keep in mind that they are a franchise operation for dealers so they are not all the same.

3. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

We try to help people who drive them. We talked to an English couple once who had no clue how to even hook up the sewer. I gave them some spares I had. They were also planning on crossing the Rockies at 13,000 plus feet in the winter. We talked to a Scandinavian couple at a Wal-Mart in the FL panhandle who were in their 3 rd month in one and were experts. I think when one pulls into a camp ground lots of people look for the "whoops" that can occur. I have seen people damage the coaches and have no clue what they are doing.

4. bjma

bjma
    Expand Collapse

My worst fears realized. Leaving West Yellowstone, we got 28 miles out when something left the inside of the engine in a hurry. There is a 3 inch hole exiting the engine block. I have no idea how many days we will be back in West Yellowstone, or how we will be leaving.
    Join me later in the continuing saga of ... Tell me why did I sell the bounder again.

5. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

West Yellowstone is a great place though. We loved it.

6. B. Kidd

B. Kidd
    Expand Collapse

I have no experience with 'rent-a-wrecks' as campground managers like to call 'em.
    But I do know that a couple pulled in across from us today in one and they have two dogs.
    I would hate to spend that kind of money to get flea bites.
    But, that's just me......

7. bjma

bjma
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Jul 31 2012, 07:30 AM) [snapback]30245[/snapback]

West Yellowstone is a great place though. We loved it.

Yeah, there are worse places to be stranded. We have never had more than two days in Yellowstone before. Good thing we have the toad!.
    My wife gets to shop and that takes the sting out of paying sixty five dollars a night at this nice resort and hope that we get some of the money back.

It is cutting into the trip. We were supposed to be in Rapid City tonight.
    Us

8. bjma

bjma
    Expand Collapse

we are back on the road again! FOUR NIGHTS LATER, CruiseAmerica finally got us a replacement motorhome.

If only CruiseAmerica had listened to our concerns in the very beginning, our vatation would be on schedule, they would not have had to send a transport team to bring us a working motorhome. My cell phone minutes would not be over my limit and my frustration level would be tolerable.

9. RFCN2

RFCN2
    Expand Collapse

Before we started buying motor homes we rented for years. We rented twice from Cruise America. The one we picked up in San Francisco and drove for two weeks was one of the best class C's I have ever driven. It was brand new when we got it and it was a 25' gem. We have rented from several other places. Normally some little issue has come up during the rental but nothing big like you have had.

Bounders are great motor homes. We have several close friends with them.

10. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

We rented before we bought our first RV, but used a local dealer and found that it was in tip top shape. I looked at a Cruise America unit (Tiago Class C) and it was a wreck.

11. bjma

bjma
    Expand Collapse

we made it home, none too soon! The roof of the replacement rent a wreck leaked, good thing it only rained the last two night.

We did stop by Tom Raper RV and are shopping for a new/used motor home.

12. pkd31780

pkd31780
    Expand Collapse

Three years ago we rented from them. This was our first experience with an RV after years of tent camping with kids. It gave us the opportunity to see what we wanted and didn't want in an RV. We have since purchased our own :) . On the plus side.....repair servicing on it was good. We had to have one tire replaced and the microwave died on us. Prompt OK to repair. On the negative.....maintenance on the unit before our trip we feel didn't happen. Also the unit was very loud with rattling windows, etc. We documented everything.

13. bjma

bjma
    Expand Collapse

DUCT TAPE!!! LOTS OF DUCT TAPE.

QUOTE(pkd31780 @ Sep 18 2012, 09:31 AM) [snapback]31204[/snapback]

Three years ago we rented from them. This was our first experience with an RV after years of tent camping with kids. It gave us the opportunity to see what we wanted and didn't want in an RV. We have since purchased our own :) . On the plus side.....repair servicing on it was good. We had to have one tire replaced and the microwave died on us. Prompt OK to repair. On the negative.....maintenance on the unit before our trip we feel didn't happen. Also the unit was very loud with rattling windows, etc. We documented everything.